Passive shot detection

bartman

Short description:

Shotspotter is a system used by many cities in the U.S (and internationally) that automatically detects and dispatches police to audibly detected gunshots in high-crime communities.

Detailed description:

The server already tracks gunfire (see the shell casings system). This script would only be enabled in certain areas, obviously, the middle of the Desert or Paleto isn't going to have shot detectors. In these areas (Usually high-crime areas, but for server balance I would suggest focusing on areas where crime should be discouraged, i.e, Downtown and more touristy areas).

Rather than OOCly regulating crime, this system would passively ICly deter gun-crime in these areas, because any gunfire would automatically trigger a police response. That doesn't prohibit crime; it just means criminals have to be more cautious and when they do shoot, they have to move quickly.

So as an example, Jimbob robs Hannah in Vespucci. Hannah gets frisky and Jimbob ends up shooting her three times. There would be say, a 30 second delay, before this message (or something like it) is broadcasted to police 30-60 seconds later:

[Shot Detection] Sensor detected 3-5 rounds fired. Location: Vespucci Boulevard

Simple alert. To the point. Doesn't give too much information, but it substitutes people trying to claim large crowds would call 911 in situations like these. It passively deters crime in areas with the system installed without outright prohibiting criminal roleplay. Jimbob now knows that he's just shot someone and the police are likely coming. It deters poor looting roleplay where someone sits there for 3-4 minutes trying to loot people like it's DayZ. If you fire your weapon, you should expect someone knows about it and be heading in another direction. But this accomplishes that without admin intervention or OOCly regulating crime; it's a passive deterrent. Silenced weapons could hopefully be implemented and have a new value for hit jobs since they wouldn't trip the sensor.

This system also encourages crime where guns aren't involved, i.e, blunt weapons, brawls, etc, because no sensor is tripped.

Commands to add:

n/a

Items to add:

n/a

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Additional information:

I believe this would be a balance between the interests of legal roleplayers that want a "safer" city and illegal roleplayers who don't want constrained OOCly. The system can work to deter gun crime in areas management or the city or whoever wants to deter it, without any OOC blocks to any kind of roleplay. Frankly I personally think it's a best case solution to both sides.

To keep things balanced I could see a reason to keep this out of i.e Davis, but i think it should definitively be prioritized in areas where the city would want to discourage gun crime, especially Downtown and the more touristy areas of the city.

Edited by bartman
  • Upvote 3

Excellent idea!

As you said, it encourages criminals to adapt and overcome much like they have to in real life! Since we’re a server with a focus on realism, I think this is an excellent addition, and of course, to keep things fair, only in certain areas like you mentioned.

It's a nice idea but as someone who is an LEO we already go to 5 shootings in twenty minutes in peak times, we don't need to attend more. I'd rather have purer scenes where the roleplay lasts and isnt rushed due to another shooting.

While it might be realistic I don't think it's necessarily the right call right now. If you consider the fact that there's a lot of people that approach the game with the play2win mentality & they're then a part of LEO factions, you can see the picture that I'm trying to paint here. It's not an unknown fact that there are several LEO players who use louder sound mods that allow them to hear the gunshots from a crazy long distance and those mods combined with the exact location provided by the gunshot system would ruin the balance.

Been suggested quite a few times in past. I personally do not think we need this. Committing crime is already really difficult, ofcourse if you do it the right way. I'm not talking about the ones who just don't put in any effort. It just adds to the fact that committing crime will become even more difficult after this.

I'm saying that as a person who's been in PD and legal rp for quite some time now. 

Edit; The amount of cops in peak time are enough to cover almost all the areas. It's not like we're sitting there for hours with no calls, we have plenty of calls all the time. It sounds like a burden and will suck the fun away from the game for me when I have to respond to a all these shots fired.

Edited by Rohan.

Excellent idea on paper but I have a couple of questions:

• What's the success rate of this technology? Anything that has direct human intervention has a margin of error (human error) necessarily associated to it. How would this be reflected on the script?
  • How would this work with interiors? Say gunshots occur in a really loud setting (nightclubs, live gigs which have taken place recently on the server, areas that may happen to have heavy traffic, etc.). Wouldn't that automatically reduce the range of detection of these systems? Wouldn't this technology sometimes not be able to detect the gunshots under certain circumstances? How would the script implement this?
  • Suppressed weapons/silencers exist. While they don't make gunshots nowhere near silent, they make them somewhat quieter and minimize the noise of firearms greatly. That, coupled with the fact not all firearms produce the same noise level and as such some are as not as loud as others, so to speak, wouldn't the case of not detecting them be possible or does this technology still easily detect them? 

I'm all in for something like this to be implemented on the server yet it has to consider all factors in order to balance it out.

I do not believe in the "criminals would be at a huge disadvantage" argument. I think it falls on criminals to adapt and come up with ways to counter these technologically advanced systems in order to perform their illegal activities, as they do more often than not in real life.

I think a system like this would definitely make some criminals think twice before immediately jumping to shoot someone down on the street as it becomes riskier to use firearms for illegal purposes. This factor should be weighed in on the criminal's decision which however is usually overlooked.

Therefore, I don't think it puts criminals at such a disadvantage. I think it would require more thought process and better time management skills from criminals to successfully escape which as a result has the potential to increase roleplay quality.