Why is the old clothing menu & advert system still available?

TinPan

Do you still use the old clothing menu?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keeping both systems for the moment seems completely reasonable to me. Some people prefer the older systems and their reasons for it are as valid as the ones who prefer the new systems(Or both for different purposes!) As long as it doesn't hinder further development I don't see a reason to force people to stick to one. Keeping old alternatives in place does literally nothing to stop change. You absolutely can innovate while keeping people who prefer the older systems in mind. 

I say this as a person who prefers the new clothing system, and the old systems don't need to be removed until they actively hinder further developmental progress. Until such a time, there is literally no reason to get rid of them beyond some opinion that people should "get with the times" or "adapt to change."

If they prefer the old system, the old system does nothing to harm the server's progress or state and the system is functional, let it very well be. 

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Keeping both systems for the moment seems completely reasonable to me. Some people prefer the older systems and their reasons for it are as valid as the ones who prefer the new systems(Or both for different purposes!) As long as it doesn't hinder further development I don't see a reason to force people to stick to one. Keeping old alternatives in place does literally nothing to stop change. You absolutely can innovate while keeping people who prefer the older systems in mind. 

I say this as a person who prefers the new clothing system, and the old systems don't need to be removed until they actively hinder further developmental progress. Until such a time, there is literally no reason to get rid of them beyond some opinion that people should "get with the times" or "adapt to change."

If they prefer the old system, the old system does nothing to harm the server's progress or state and the system is functional, let it very well be. 

I suppose this is a valid point. Just seems to me that the older systems tend to be kept around as a means of pandering to individuals who refuse to adapt more than due to the benefits that you identified in your post.

Well, right now the poll you posted is split 50/50, so definitely, there're about 45% who use the new one only, then 45% who use the old one and 10% who do not mind, aka use both of them. 

It should be kept, it's good, sometimes the new menu bugs out for me, I've only been able to get out of it with a relog, but then I still can use the old menu and it does the trick for me if I need something done quickly. I feel like it should be kept the same way as it is right now. It's fine for both adverts and clothing.

Also, with adverts, the thing about them popping at the bottom might not be fitting for some people. You can obviously scan through them in your phone, but if you want them in the chat, nobody should restrict you.

1 hour ago, TinPan said:

There's nothing wrong with choice, but if that's the case; then why make the new systems in the first place?

Surely you can agree that it makes whatever is new redundant if the old version is still made available? Even if what is new is completely superior in just about every way possible?

There is this thing where the outfit selector also keeps resetting and its in a completely different window you have to toggle. Also, that window is on top of the chat, killing clothes store RP which some still do. Thats why I refuse to use the new menu.

34 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Also, that window is on top of the chat, killing clothes store RP which some still do. Thats why I refuse to use the new menu.

To a lesser degree, this overlay-issue is also off-putting in the new advertisement system.

Did no one test how this works with a phone in hand ic, really now? 🙄

Edited by knppel
2 hours ago, Nervous said:

Because the new system are better adapted to the new kind of players discovering RP with GTA V. I do care about players who did come with SAMP habits and want to keep it as they like it.

It's often "nice design" versus "very easy to use ugly design" when we offer the choice.

Shiny stuff is overrated. I understand new players like it, so I see why it's developed, but there's a reason why I still use the Nokia 3310 and the old clothing system. It works and I don't need to use my mouse. I think the fact that SAMP habits are still supported on this server is a large reason why SAMP players can feel comfortable more so on this server than on any other.