Damage modifier when fighting underage characters

Snoot

5 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

We all get that you mallrats can't stand gang roleplayers but maybe it's time to drop that us vs them mentality and be a little bit more mature than that.

Every single time someone has pointed out flaws in how the server handles crime and criminals, I always see you specifically countering with 'well you mallrats'. Maybe the 'us vs. them' mentality is closer to home. Look inward. Might be projecting, homie.

6 hours ago, Smilesville said:

I think there are enough instances of pedophilia rearing its ugly head for us to seriously consider it, no?

I also find it hilarious you'd say a huge part of gang RP revolves around minors.

See the issue here is that you claim that there are several instances of paedophilia, but guess what, the vast majority of those situations get people banned & that's that. I realize that you don't have any clue about gang roleplay but to break this down for you; most streetgangs recruit minors because they're relatively easier to steer and use, whether they use them as crashdummies or drug dealers. Rarely anybody gets "put on" the set after their 18th birthday, because if they didn't get put on the set by that time then they were most likely not down for the gang. If you're failing to understand what I'm saying I simply cannot help you, instances of rulebreak are everywhere and they're dealt with accordingly for the most part.

7 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

See the issue here is that you claim that there are several instances of paedophilia, but guess what, the vast majority of those situations get people banned & that's that. I realize that you don't have any clue about gang roleplay but to break this down for you; most streetgangs recruit minors because they're relatively easier to steer and use, whether they use them as crashdummies or drug dealers. Rarely anybody gets "put on" the set after their 18th birthday, because if they didn't get put on the set by that time then they were most likely not down for the gang. If you're failing to understand what I'm saying I simply cannot help you, instances of rulebreak are everywhere and they're dealt with accordingly for the most part.

You're sorely mistaken.

I'm very aware of how gang recruitment works - I just think your assertion that regular waves of pedophilia are a necessary evil so you can have a "realistic" gang is absurd. In the face of that? I couldn't give a damn about your gang.

Nobody has any business RPing characters on the server under 16 - period. We all know this, but as we've regularly come to witness, there's a special exception carved out for the IFC. Let's put that aside and assume for a moment we shift the rules so that everyone can play twelve year olds. How "realistic" is your street gang? Individuals under 15 make up less than 15% of gang membership, and yet we have no application process in place to ensure the people engaging in the sensitive subject matter are mature enough to handle the content.

I don't know where this sick obsession with portraying children involved in violence came from, but frankly we're much better off without it and the pedophilia it invites to the community.

1 minute ago, Smilesville said:

You're sorely mistaken.

I'm very aware of how gang recruitment works - I just think your assertion that regular waves of pedophilia are a necessary evil so you can have a "realistic" gang is absurd. In the face of that? I couldn't give a damn about your gang.

Nobody has any business RPing characters on the server under 16 - period. We all know this, but as we've regularly come to witness, there's a special exception carved out for the IFC. Let's put that aside and assume for a moment we shift the rules so that everyone can play twelve year olds. How "realistic" is your street gang? Individuals under 15 make up less than 15% of gang membership, and yet we have no application process in place to ensure the people engaging in the sensitive subject matter are mature enough to handle the content.

I don't know where this sick obsession with portraying children involved in violence came from, but frankly we're much better off without it and the pedophilia it invites to the community.

The stats you provided are irrelevant, check statistics that come from LA County. Moving on, sure - let's lock both female and underage characters behind an application as well. Is that the server you want?

10 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The stats you provided are irrelevant, check statistics that come from LA County. Moving on, sure - let's lock both female and underage characters behind an application as well. Is that the server you want?

Yes

38 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The stats you provided are irrelevant, check statistics that come from LA County.

They're the latest statistics for which we have data involving categorizations more specific than "under 18," but for shits and giggles, here's more straight from the Justice Department and the NRMC:

The stereotypical media image for youth gangs is only partially accurate. According to the Justice Department, a youth gang is "a well defined group of youths between 10 and 22 years old.” To be considered a “youth gang” a group must be involved in a pattern of criminal acts. The criminal acts, especially acts of violence, serve to cement the group together. Researchers Norman Randolph, Alan McEvoy and Edsel Erickson observe that “sharing the anticipation, danger, harm and excitement of a gang’s exercise of brutality against outsiders creates feelings of a common identity and shared purpose.”

[...]

Demographic studies of gangs cited by Howell show that the typical age range for a gang is 12–24 with the average age of gang members 17–18 years old. The average age tends to be older in cities like Los Angeles and Chicago where gangs are well established and have been in existence for longer periods of time. Male gang members outnumber female gang members by a wide margin. Traditional gangs average about 180 members and specialty gangs — drug traffickers — are much smaller with only about 25 members on average. The ethnicity of gang members is 48% African-American, 43% Hispanic, 5% white, and 4% Asian.

Locking one gender behind an application isn't going to remotely address the problem; the number of young boys who fall victim to pedophiles is not as statistically insignificant as many would initially suppose. Applications aren't an answer to begin with either, mind you - I brought them up as an example of how inexcusably little has been done to stem that particular issue.

That's not even considering the issue of portraying children in violence. I cannot wrap my head around the concept that staff acknowledge (and accept without contention) that minors play on the server - but are fine exposing them to material glorifying gang violence committed by fictitious individuals in their age group.

Frankly, this doesn't stop until underage characters stop. Do whatever you have to do for continuity's sake. Write stories about the harsh childhood your character had and their initiation prior to the play we see in game - those character threads, at least, seem vastly higher in quality and maturity than the flippancy we see in-game.

Edited by Smilesville
  • Red. locked this topic