Make Trucking job interestin.

MadSpecter

I did a bit of trucking once I hit the twenty hour mark but to be honest, it's not fun. There's little money in it so the grind doesn't feel rewarding and there were two situations where I enjoyed the roleplay, first one was when three of us truckers got the same delivery and made a spontanous convoy, once on location we greeted eachother and conversed a bit before heading back to the delivery. The second interaction I had was when I delivered to an open business and there was people there. I mainly RP'ed with myself unloading the crates and such and greeting everyone but it was fun as you know your RP is being watched and you brought immersion to the scene.

The trucking reality on this server is a bit sad. Most of the "veteran" truckers that drive the big trucks don't do ANY roleplay at all to be honest, rushing from point A to point B, parking as close to the checkpoint as possible and just spamming the two commands before rushing off to repeat the same steps. I agree that the trucking system needs an overhaul, it's easy to say this but hard to make a concept that will provide both roleplay and rewards for everyone involved. But I'm sure that trough all of these suggestions, something can be made into a fun system.

Also the 30% is a bit misleading when it tells you to their get your own truck or join a trucking company. It should state that if you do buy your own truck, profits only increase by 10%, if you want the full profit you need to join a trucking company but for a new player it's daunting since they probably do not know how to do it. Maybe put up an information board at the trucking job location that explains these things. It would make it alot more informative for the avarage player that is unfamiliar with how a RP server is structured around the forums.

• 1 month later...

Also, would be nice to bring back Semi Trucks with trailers, as I head before they had some synce issues, which now has been solved, so why not making whole remap on this system and also adding big trucks, would be nice to make some convoys with them, for the business which needs a lot of parts. Also I think most of people who are in to the trucking, would love to drive there big rigs, because they are more fun then just Pounder. 

+1, I would also like to mention that maybe we can add a system that is something other then crates, for example armored truck deliveries to banks that carry silver, gold, files, etc. Fuel that can be deliveried with Fuel Trailers, Soil with open Trailers, etc.

Edited by Sha

Yeah it’s always a hard issue to tackle. How do you turn a complete and total grind into something fun that rewards RP over quantity of deliveries? Something needs to be looked at because I’m the current state trucking is literally anti-fun. I’m not quite sure what to do yet. Have to do more thinking on it. 

Yeah, there is literally no fun to trucking. If I could, I'd honestly work any other job. But trucking is the career that fits my character's development the most, so I'm sticking with it. I've been with this company for months and have built relationships and connections through it.

Biggest problem honestly is just the lack of RP you get out of trucking. You spend hours driving the same route over and over, spamming the same two commands over and over. You almost never meet anyone or talk to anyone during your shift, besides other miserable truckers on the same route as you. You'd be lucky to have any player interaction.  

Another thing: Nobody cares if you don't RP as a trucker. I've been trucking for a company ever since April. I have witnessed plenty of truckers not RP. But, no one cares, not even me. I simply don't care enough to go out of my way to report someone who doesn't "/me opens the rear doors and (un)loads the crates. everytime they stop at the drop off. No business owner cares if a trucker doesn't RP. Hell, most business owners don't even acknowledge the truckers at all. The only people who care are the admins who want to stop people from money grinding, which is ironic because trucking is literally meant to be a money script grinder where you spam the same shit over and over and say 5000 different variations of unloading and loading crates. Even then, I've never seen anyone get punished for not RPing trucking. It's just never happened. I have never witnessed anyone getting banned for failure to RP trucking.  The warning you get might honestly just be a scare tactic instead of an actual rule.

I don't know how we can make this any better. I just don't. Trucking rewards speed. That's how it is right now. Some businesses are already struggling because truckers are choosing the fastest routes because here in the GTAW trucking world, Time = Money. Right now, as of writing this reply, 90% of truckers are all in Sandy Shores only delivering to Gorman's and Tomahawk's, because the route is extremely short. This directly negatively affects businesses that are unfortunate enough to be located in a bad location that is far from a factory. 

And like, trucking is quite literally the single most important job on the server. We deliver the components to every business that needs them to open. If every trucker quit trucking right now, the entire server's business structure would completely collapse onto itself. Yet, trucking still seems to be a newbie's job that no one really takes seriously. This just needs to change. Trucking should be a long term career. Again, I have no idea how we can improve on this. The entire trucking system would need to be revamped. A lot will have to change.

Edited by ScarletRose
  • Applaud 1

Completely agree, it is one of the most looked down upon jobs out there, and yet is of vital importance as it stands to the economy. I have a couple of suggestions:

Remove extra pay and simply increase the value of the crates to those businesses whose order has been pending for the longest.  (Not sure whether this can be subsidised so that the business is not negatively effected).  This would encourage diversity of delivery and remove the 90% of truckers being in Sandy at the moment.

Instead of rewarding characters with different vehicles based on the number of deliveries, base it on the amount of time a character has been actively working as a trucker via the start shift mechanic. This could be open to abuse and I am unsure if it is possible to remove the hourly payment, unless there was some kind of check and balance against the last time you completed a delivery.  However it would remove the need to delivery quantity and would encourage people to just be truckers.

Instead of being able to choose your route, implement an auto route system so when you hit startshipment it auto allocates you a delivery to make.

Increase the number of suppliers on the map.  Currently the variety is too limited i.e. no one does ammunition deliveries because it is thousands of meters away from the nearest gun shop.

Change the command system so you are not spamming /loadcrate/unloadcrate/sellcrate/pickupcrate it is so boring and just annoys people.  Perhaps do something to the fuel system.  It is more a quality of life change.

Just some ideas, what are your thoughts?

On 4/21/2021 at 1:49 PM, zachie said:

It does feel a lot like a grind. I'm part of a trucking company, but really there's barely any RP interaction whatsoever. It's more or less just clocking in and starting your shipment. You occasionally get a driver's check over the radio, and that's about it. The rest of the roleplay is basically you /me'ing to yourself about loading in crates, and later unloading them at the drop-off point.

It could use some more variety, like what you stated. Also, deeper in land, like in Sandy etc. there's barely any supplier points, this makes for extremely long drives, and most of the people just don't feel like doing these deliveries at all, because it just isn't worth the time and effort for the approx. $90 that you get paid in profit per crate.

True.

Honestly they should just add more supply points throughout the city. The fact that most supply points are on one end of the city is an issue, even though it’s more realistic being there’s the port. You’re not going to fix this problem by throwing more money at it because the routes are still going to suck driving from one end to the other and back. That’s just the way it is.

Find a couple of properties on the other side of the city near the beach side opposite from the port and add in a group of supply points. The weapon supply points only being out in Sandy is in essence punishing any gun shops in the city. Truckers just aren’t going to want to do that run when they get paid almost the same as a route that’s less than a mile away from the supply point. 

Short of a complete trucking script revamp, the only way to help businesses that are farther away from the supply points on the port side of the map is to add closer supply points to make the runs shorter for businesses on the beach side. You can’t fix the current system any other way. Trucking is anti-fun and making the same amount of money (in many routes) for far drives as they do for short drives, guess what? They’ll just do the short drives and the other businesses will suffer. You can’t fault them either. Trucking is literally the opposite of a rewarding RP job. 

Edited by Italiano
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, TheG said:

It won't be a problem implementing these features, however I think the trucking job lacks when it comes to interaction. The primary problem is that there isn't much room for RP and interaction due to the script. There are multiple trucking suggestions which offer solutions, but they require more attention.

Plenty of ways to add interaction and RP, I try to deliver to open businesses and get them to sign for deliveries.

• Wuhtah locked this topic