Voice descriptions

LizziePup

Short description: 
Add a voice description for added character info.

Detailed description:

Adding a /voice command, a single line descriptor (less than 50 characters?) of your voice that plays the first time you encounter someone per login, the first time per phone call, as well as appending it to the end of their /examine.

John Doe [In a deep German accent]:  Hello.
Mask_A82B3 [In a high-pitched smoker's voice]: Put your hands up.

Commands to add:

/voice

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?

It adds extra depth, detail, and agency to your character, letting people know right off the bat who they might be dealing with. Often times characters can be 2 days off the boat from England, and people assume they're a local because accents aren't transmitted, and most people forget to /examine every single person they're dealing with in a group conversation. This adds some more depth to situations like young characters who might have higher pitch voices, trans characters who's voice might not match their outward appearance or might be difficult to figure out, or just someone who doesn't sound quite like everyone else. 

This would help with handling payphones, which anonymize who's calling, leaving you essentially dealing with a chatroom with no idea who could possibly be on the other line, even if it's your spouse. Additionally, when dealing with someone wearing a mask, you'd be able to identify what they sound like, when before there is no real indication that you might know someone from a previous encounter.

Additional information:

Edited by LizziePup

No, sorry. It's just extra hassle and script support for something that looks absolutely atrocious.

[Gangster Accent]: I can't in good faith support this suggestion. Speech is nuanced and something that you're best off portraying with little bits and bobs through your character's actual conversation, because it is aesthetically grim to put prefixes like so.

There are aspects of speech that simply can't be added to your character without doing an emote of their voice or mannerisms at the introduction anyway, or expect everyone to examine you which I can say from experience, people don't check for a good while. I see British characters with a thick London accent be asked "You're British?!" in disbelief all the time.
Voice is an outwardly apparent aspect of a person that's immediately coupled with physical appearance, usually one of the first things you notice. 

No, not a fan of the [accent] before speaking. I've seen people note what their character sounds like in /attributes and that's good enough for me if it's something you can't portray in your speech alone. People should be /examine-ing everyone they encounter to RP with them properly. 

1 minute ago, Kaz said:

[Accent] etc has always been an eye-sore and is an ugly remnant from a bygone era of SAMP and MTA roleplay. Just pop it in your /examine. If you don't want to type the command, you can press F3 and right click the person to examine. 

wtf that's a good old pro-tip right there. Definitely going to use this.

And I completely agree with Kaz's point too. Attributes is a wonderful thing and I wish people utilized it better.

• Wuhtah locked this topic