Preventing illegal activities on new characters

Chaishi

"No illegal activities whatsoever" is a little too broad. Tailored down to exclude the most poorly portrayed aspects of illegal RP - robberies and extortions, specifically - would be a step in the right direction.

I'd still much rather fix the incentive structure than resort to a hard and fast limit on how old a character has to be to engage in them.

• Upvote 1
On 1/24/2021 at 10:03 AM, Smilesville said:

"No illegal activities whatsoever" is a little too broad. Tailored down to exclude the most poorly portrayed aspects of illegal RP - robberies and extortions, specifically - would be a step in the right direction.

I'd still much rather fix the incentive structure than resort to a hard and fast limit on how old a character has to be to engage in them.

Felony crimes in the first 20 hours seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

Felony crimes in the first 20 hours seems reasonable. 

Call me lenient but I'd go even further and specifically call out robbery and extortion by name - I'd hate to stifle a great idea that happens to run afoul of a felony. As additional issues crop up, the rule can always be amended.

31 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Call me lenient but I'd go even further and specifically call out robbery and extortion by name - I'd hate to stifle a great idea that happens to run afoul of a felony. As additional issues crop up, the rule can always be amended.

If any thing, that'd reduce a good chunk of the crimes on the server, allowing for more character development before engaging in any high-level crimes. How about murder, excluding during self-defense?

Edited by DLimit

I don't agree with limiting criminal roleplay to a hour limit. 

However I do think it should be under the common courtesy rule to not go around robbing new players. U know, the guys driving around in the rental cars and going to every pawn shop etc. 

If you purposely go out of your way to find rental car noobs, you should be punished for doing so(im assuming this isnt in the rules currently i havent seen it)

30 minutes ago, DLimit said:

If any thing, that'd reduce a good chunk of the crimes on the server, allowing for more character development before engaging in any high-level crimes. How about murder, excluding during self-defense?

I feel like adding too many caveats might diminish what we're trying to do, I just threw out the biggest problems I've witnessed, but murder could rank too.

23 minutes ago, Certified Lover Boy Jola said:

I don't think we should punish the entire server for something a few people do, plus add more potential reports through a new rule.

I would posit that it's not a punishment that you're required to flesh out a character before engaging in robberies. Ideally we'd lock robbery behind an asset limit or something similarly stringent to prevent it from being the illegal script job it currently is. 

Never mind the robberies are all being reported anyways. 

Edited by Smilesville

Good idea in theory maybe but I don't fully support it. 

As pointed out in the main post, in some circumstances the people doing the poor RP/robbery portrayal are existing users making alt accounts and going out to do it for fun. Assuming they've already done hours on other accounts they know the rules and how the server works and if they're caught up in poor RP then they'll get reported and punished.

As for not being able to rob new players there's no real indicator as to if they're new or not unless a system is put in place where it can be checked via command. There should, maybe, be a system put in place to "protect" new players but babying them and putting an x hrs block on when they can be targeted isn't it. In a lot of cases it's also the new players being robbed who turn situations sour and make them hard to deal with. If they're going to be like that when they first start out then they're going to act the exact same after being "safe" for 5 hours.

Also a no from me based on people wanting to make new factions, people already have to go through scrutiny just to have a faction topic and a handful of factions come from new players from existing communities, making every new player who joins up basically sign away their power to do any criminal activity or any "major" crime can stunt the growth and portrayal of factions. Yes, in the perfect world these factions should start from the ground up and not be partaking in any major crime but also not everyone has the time to do that. Factions are going to have high ranking members from the get-go to get the ball rolling and if they can't protect themselves or their members and are put in a situation where they're walked all over because an OOC rule says they can't do anything about it then that's not the way to go.

All in all, if people are able to get their hands on the tools required to rob someone, whether it be a gun, knife, bat or someone is overpowered by a large group then let it happen. If a rule is broken they can be reported and punished. Protecting someone/forcing someone to not do something for x amount of hours isn't going to make them any better at it when they are allowed to do it.