Club Characters + Drugs & Alcohol

aldo

6 hours ago, Greyfeather said:

Can't the act of going out and dancing be the stress management itself?

IRL we go out all to clubs all the time (or we did until things were locked down again), and we simply don't get drunk or do things like cocaine -

who goes to clubs and doesn't get drunk? 1 in 100 people? wtf

6 hours ago, Greyfeather said:

Thanks for that link, it's really interesting.

But:

More than a quarter of 'Gen Zers' are now teetotal | Daily Mail Online

Why millennials are increasingly choosing an alcohol-free lifestyle | PBS NewsHour

Generation Z: ‘We have more to do than drink and take drugs’ | Young people | The Guardian

Older people out-drink younger Australians on a regular basis - ABC News

I'm not saying that people shouldn't RP drinking and taking drugs, before the usual people who take everything out of context...well...take what I'm putting here out of context. RP whatever you want to RP. 

What I'm saying is that there is addiction data, which is what you've provided, but there's also world wide data showing that so many of us now no longer see drugs and alcohol as desirable commodities. Especially when everything we do - getting work, study, saving for a house (ha!) - is now so hyper-competitive.

People going to clubs to dance and be with friends is absolutely realistic. 

Those articles sort of argue that narcotic consumption increases rather than alcohol consumption. Younger generation prefers to use opioids or marijuana than alcohol. Marijuana, Ecstasy, and Xanax are the drugs of this age... including Fentanyl. 

Edited by DLimit
Just now, aldo said:

who goes to clubs and doesn't get drunk? 1 in 100 people? wtf

Reasonably speaking, you DO have those people that have to drive home at night. Thus, they usually have that designated driver that only drinks a beer at a the club for a minor buzz.

Just now, DLimit said:

Reasonably speaking, you DO have those people that have to drive home at night. Thus, they usually have that designated driver that only drinks a beer at a the club for a minor buzz.

yep, but every single person in the clubs are designated drivers in gta:world since they all drive their paycheck sports cars over to the club

• Upvote 1

I've had nights where my character has been coked up to their eyeballs, drinking anything given to them and had a taxi home (which was hysterical as it involved multiple stops for food, vomiting and to just talk to passersby). But those nights are really rare due to a mixture of things, for me at least. 

Most of the time when you go to a club, you're never sure how long that club will be open - so driving yourself is a lot easier if you need to bar hop. Nothing worse than getting a taxi, the club closing 5 minutes later, getting another taxi and the same thing happening. It makes committing to a "big night out" difficult as you're usually given a random "closing in ten minutes!" and then have to leave and hope something is open that fits the type of night out your character is having.

Some clubs/bars charge an extortionate amount for a beer. A group of us went for a Christmas night out and a round of 7 people would cost us around 4k on top of the 600 dollar entrance fee each. I think most people will gladly buy one drink for the RP, but due to pricing get dissuaded from going all out. 

A fight ruins the vibe and quickly shuts off the club off from allowing this kind of RP to flow. Can't say how many clubs I've been to where a fist fight happens for little to no reason and ends with the club being in that weird space of, "stand around for a bit while PD do their thing before the club calls it a night". 

Clubs are all the same. Nothing original, exciting or different. I've yet to see a club that actually tries to be different from the norm. 

I think it's a mixture of things that really stop the masses from partaking. 

Just now, aldo said:

😂😂

btw i meant rave clubs cause obviously not a lot of people take molly at normal nightclubs

Regular night clubs usually involves sniffing a line of coke, smoking a joint, or simply drinking alcohol.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard the words "I got so drunk", "I popped a molly", "I got so high" pop up whenever a person mentions their club experience, in North America, then I'd be a millionaire.

16 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Those articles sort of argue that narcotic consumption increases rather than alcohol consumption. Younger generation prefers to use opioids or marijuana than alcohol. 

As far as I can tell from reading those articles, and others, they actually aren't all that conclusive on what's being substituted - acknowledging a strong inference that it could be marijuana - except to say that our generation simply aren't engaging in the same casual consumption at the same rates that our parents were.

That's the only point I was making. And it gives some context as to why some RPers have genuine reason not to take drugs or even to drink alcohol - aside from the far from realistic number of approaches by dealers IC.

I think at Malibu around a week ago I had four different offers from different dealers who simply moved person to person to make their whispered proposition.

Someone earlier mentioned music festivals, and of the ones I've been to, it's actually a lot more of a permissive environment, but even then it's only the minority who do take drugs.

Edited by Greyfeather
I had to amend my mispelling of alcohol, which must mean I should stay away from it!
7 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

As far as I can tell from reading those articles, and others, they actually aren't all that conclusive on what's being substituted - acknowledging a strong inference that it could be marijuana - except to say that our generation simply aren't engaging in the same casual consumption at the same rates that our parents were.

That's the only point I was making. And it gives some context as to why some RPers have genuine reason not to take drugs or even to drink alocohol - aside from the far from realistic number of approaches by dealers IC.

I think at Malibu around a week ago I had four different offers from different dealers who simply moved person to person to make their whispered proposition.

Someone earlier mentioned music festivals, and of the ones I've been to like The Big Day Out, it's actually a lot more of a permissive environment, but even then it's only the minority who do take drugs.

"I think at Malibu around a week ago I had four different offers from different dealers who simply moved person to person to make their whispered proposition."

I will admit, this is a bit unrealistic as you wouldn't have dealers attempting to blow their cover by randomly approaching people and whispering them to purchase narcotic substances. Dealers should learn to initiate conversations with their customers, attempting to "know them" before making a move. Otherwise, they could be approaching a snitch or informer.

Once they're caught, then they would lose their location via being banned from the premises, which hinders profits. 

The statistics that I've shared, which are from legitimate addiction webpages, report that marijuana and opiate usage had spiked in North America, with some of them tripling, and that's just the reported cases from the addiction healthcare organizations. Not disagreeing that you have millennials being open about not consuming narcotics or alcohol, but even those sources acknowledge that the new wave supports marijuana consumption, in the least. They wouldn't openly admit that they are addicted to opiates to interviewers. Addiction organizations, on the other hand, drug test their subjects and collaborate with them to rehabilitate them from their addiction. Due to the stigma, most people don't want to openly express their opiate addiction to interviewers.

The stigma has increased, but so has the rate of opiate and marijuana consumers in North America.

Edited by DLimit