A Racing Script

KaythPlus

Short description: A script that allows for easy creation of races by setting up waypoints, and so on.

Detailed description: My suggestion is to add a script that will allow players via use of commands to create intricate routes on the fly that allow for people to race through. This would mean players get a route on their map and have to satisfy each checkpoint in a race to conclude it. This by no means is an exact implimentation suggestion; obviously developers would have better ideas for how it could be specifically implemented.

Commands to add:

/createrace | Sets up the starting checkpoint for a race where you're currently at.

/checkpoint | Sets the next checkpoint sequentually.

/saverace <name> | Saves the race. The final checkpoint becomes the finish line unless the race is lapped.

/laps <0 - 10> | Turns the race into a lap-based race. Script now makes the initial checkpoint the next checkpoint after they reach the final one.

/openrace <name>| Loads checkpoints for a race for you.

/inviterace <id>| Invites a player to a race.

/beginrace| Starts a count-down.

Items to add: Scripts

How would your suggestion improve the server? I personally believe certain scripts may not seem appropirate for a roleplay server but still hold a lot of potential for both enjoyment and good roleplay. A script like this would allow people much more dynamically to spice up the racing scene with impromptu races.

Common Disagreements:

"This is anti-roleplay. Create maps, and learn routes"

Go ahead and use this argument, its very frequently used as a "but my precious roleplay" type of justification. The fact is, its just commonly used to rebuttal features that would add a lot of fun at no expense of roleplay. People who are still hardcore racing will not suddenly stop creating maps and learning routes. They will still need to be practiced, learned and mapped. This is very different to these instances. Not to mention the same argument can be used against so many other features that are already implemented such as /sendlocation, taxi fare scripts, advertisements. Its simply a convenience feature that allows for a lot more people to get into the scene if they'd like to. And create more dynamic races.

"Everyone would just be racing everywhere"

Not at all — they could do this already. I don't think a feature is suddenly going to make people portray their characters as racers and start smoking up the streets. Plus, the feature could be limited in various ways to prevent this.

"Just learn routes and use maps its better RP / not realistic"

Not necessarily at all. First of all realism is not a question; with modern GPS this is entirely possible. This does not take away from people who create routes to do longer-term races.

Edited by KaythPlus
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, aldo said:

"This is anti-roleplay. Create maps, and learn routes"

Using "but my precious roleplay" as an argument to rebuttal features is really pointless. Especially when you give no input at all. Features like /sendlocation could have the same argument used against them. As you could learn street names, get directions; so on. The reality is the feature would add a lot of enjoyment for a lot of people and still be roleplayed incredibly well with GPS. It'd only supplement races.

The same way /sendlocation is justified by modern GPS. So is racing GPS, easily so.

Edited by KaythPlus