Official Status

Sinister

Absolutely against this idea.

Factions shouldn't be rated with statuses in an OOC fashion. It subconsciously changes people's behavior in game towards them which is technically considered metagaming. It doesn't improve the quality of factions either (and if your faction requires an OOC status to improve its roleplay, then something is definitely wrong), instead it increases the discrepancy between official and unofficial factions, and makes it harder for new factions to grow or even recruit new members, therefore making the illegal sector more monopolized and dependent on these "official" factions to keep evolving.

If factions want to earn any kind of status, earn it IC and keep it IC. 

• Upvote 3
57 minutes ago, Shaderz said:

Factions shouldn't be rated with statuses in an OOC fashion. It subconsciously changes people's behavior in game towards them which is technically considered metagaming. It doesn't improve the quality of factions either (and if your faction requires an OOC status to improve its roleplay, then something is definitely wrong), instead it increases the discrepancy between official and unofficial factions, and makes it harder for new factions to grow or even recruit new members, therefore making the illegal sector more monopolized and dependent on these "official" factions to keep evolving.

Huh? If you're involved in the illegal RP scene I'm sure you already know who the suppliers are, which already causes people to MG their attitude towards that specific faction. Factions should be dependent on official factions as they already are on suppliers. Factions root out players who are there for the guns or scripted items, so the statement that official factions would get more members than unofficial ones is not relevant.

Not for this either. It builds up elitism, as yerro stated, this would only encourage players to join those factions. Sure you faction leaders could turn them down, but it shouldn't be a problem to begin with. The current system is fine and actually encourages players to join new and upcoming factions rather than the old ones.

49 minutes ago, Sacred said:

Huh? If you're involved in the illegal RP scene I'm sure you already know who the suppliers are, which already causes people to MG their attitude towards that specific faction. Factions should be dependent on official factions as they already are on suppliers. Factions root out players who are there for the guns or scripted items, so the statement that official factions would get more members than unofficial ones is not relevant.

So you recognize that it is an issue (I assume?) and your way of fixing it is by replicating the same thing? Wouldn't that cause more problems than it solves?

Factions shouldn't be dependent on official factions, at least not when official factions are declared as such via OOC means. That monopolizes the illegal market, making these factions feel well above the rest. You want something like this, build it up and work for it IC and that should be fair game, but let's not dictate what factions are above others OOC and let things play out IC from there.

As history says, the official status is usually issued to factions which prove to be of great quality, and even though it might theoretically sound like a great idea, official factions will use their OOC earned official status for their own benefit in IC engagements and flag it up onto other factions. It's inevitable. 

Unofficial factions will have a harder time evolving and growing. Most people will want to join official factions because it is easier to accommodate yourself when you're surrounded by players who are a part of an official faction so you know for a fact things are likely to be easier for them because they don't have to fight for what unofficial factions do. Starting from the very bottom in an unofficial faction in their first days of existence becomes more of a challenge than a requirement, and it shouldn't be like that.

I was part of a community that had this system in place. People complained all the time, people were never satisfied because either they felt like FM was being biased towards official factions or they weren't giving the official status to certain factions they thought deserved it. It was a never-ending cycle and it tired everyone out until the system was no longer credible in the eyes of the players. 

This is not going to work and is not the way to go.

Edited by Shaderz
13 hours ago, arkan said:

A system like this being put in place will not only reward long standing factions as many above have stated but will showcase the type of quality roleplay standards needed in the illegal scene. If implemented I think it will only serve the community for the better.

I don't think a legitimate faction that wants to thrive would open just to achieve an official status and get their thread pinned. I mean, if a faction opens up with the only goal of being official then I can tell it's not gonna last long.

I like the current system, factions are being treated equally and everyone is gaining their reputation over their Roleplay quality which is the main purpose of the current faction system. No need to separate factions into peasants and nobles that's not really the way it's ridiculous.

Edited by Guest

So, generally when you make a faction you need to have goals. Whether it's a criminal or legal organization, they have goals.

If a new clique forms on a poverty-ridden block wherever, their goals may be stuff like; get large amounts of money, take more territory, recruit members, feed the homies & their families, make sure the block is safe, find good suppliers of whatever it is you're selling. These would be IC goals on a server. However, it stretches to OOC goals with roleplay. Like, provide quality roleplay. Provide an interesting roleplay enviroment for players, grow larger as a faction, stay active on forums & in-game, and finally a really good OOC goal to have would be to eventually become an official faction. 

It's something to strive for through quality roleplay and good activity. A really really good incentive to roleplay.

I think a certain few people are throwing this a little off-topic. People seem to forget that the official status we all know and loved is a choice. Factions didn’t need to apply for official if they felt they didn’t need to or wanted to and they haven’t in the past. Please refer back to my original post if you haven’t already to fully grasp my understanding of it, I see a lot of people knit picking coloured name tags and so on when really that isn’t what this is about nor should people care that much about a coloured name tag.

I will say this again to make it a little more clearer for people. The supplier system in my opinion is flawed and I have seen suppliers on here actually agreeing with my statement, I have been supplier for a year roughly and from my personal experience I really don’t think this is the system we should be adopting as a community, simply because it’s easy to obtain if you’re good at story writing and it doesn’t necessarily reward high quality role play to showcase what this server has to offer.

There’s a few people here that are going back and forth in the comments about the word ‘elitism’ which scared some people in previous communities (which you shouldn’t be in the slightest) and for that I tell you this. Without competition, without a strive for excellence and to improve yourself as a player or as a faction, without rewarding factions for quality, longevity and consistency. What is the point? We’re all here to improve and having a system like this does improve every single one of those things. How many factions are simply bored because they have everything given to them within the first few months of it’s existence if not weeks? We need something to keep players engaging on the server and give them something to work towards if they so desire that.

Now let me address this too since a select few have their own sort of modifications to the official system. Yes, every system has it’s own flaws. Do I think some things could be modified here if the majority of the community felt it should? Sure, but to see a system that has been around for over a decade work for that period of time speaks volume in and of itself.

Over all if I had to weigh out the current system? Official status makes more sense, it has more positives than negatives and compared to the current system which is the most important piece out of it all. It gives players something to look forward to and work for every single day.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

One of the reasons gang roleplay is scarce on this server is due to the current system.

Nobody wants to have to sit there and beg to have their faction be implemented, I strongly believe nobody also gives a flying fuck about even being scripted into the game, people just wanna have the freedom to roleplay.

Now that might sound off topic but it plays into this overall system, the system in itself is crushing illegal roleplay and we need an official status immediately because like I've mentioned publicly before in IFM discord;

This server is a glorified cops and robbers game.

Free up the ability to let people make their own factions, implement an OOC turf map so things don't get out of hand IC with all these new pop ups and tag worthy factions with official and supplier status but also keep the strawman applications implemented for worthy roleplayers who can justify it through their development.

These are all systems that historically worked and were proven for over a decade, and sure you can try to be different... but different is only hurting the illegal community at this point and its pretty fucking obvious.

Now I know what your argument is going to be:

"Urgghhh but boohoo what happens when everyone starts making DM factions like LSRP"

Thats simple, ban them permanently. From my experience here the admins lay down the law a lot harder than over on LSRP and rightly so. Just because of a group of people wanna try and spoil it for everyone doesn't mean we shouldn't have THAT thing.

Thsts a ridiculous and immature train of thought.

IFM should be made up of around 10 members who have a diverse background in roleplay and understand the depth of development and realism surrounding illegal groups.

So on top of that, IFM needs reforming before the implementation of the system.

I think this should be taken to a community vote as soon as possible to save illegal roleplay.

Edited by shot 2 da vein
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Shaderz said:

I agree. It'll just generate bitterness and won't change the quality of anything. 

• Bospy locked this topic