Long /me's

Ketamine Kowboy

It's situational as previously mentioned. Personally, I prefer to adapt my roleplay style to the people I'm interacting with, regardless of the circumstances. If they are the type to produce short, yet concise /me's, I'm all in to reciprocate. If they burst out long /me's detailing their actions with a lot of precision, I feel like I have to keep up with the amount of effort they are putting into their roleplay so I type out similarly long /me's elaborating my character's actions further with more detail than usual. For me, this has always worked perfectly because in the end, not only does it allow me to easily match with a lot of people in terms of roleplaying together, but in the end, it doesn't really matter much if your roleplay is paragraphs long or brief as long as the other player understands exactly what you are doing and both are on the same page.

Edited by Shaderz

When you're telling a story or writing one, you need to be aware of how ready your reader is to read at the time. If you open a book and the author dumps a ton of long, exhausting sentences, you're likely not gonna last reading it for too long.

Same applies to story-telling through /me's — you need to be aware of your environment. If you're constantly spurting out 250-character /me's, you're going to tire people very fast. But that doesn't mean there is a problem with long /me's — you simply need to be aware how you get your point across and how it's perceived.

I'd agree with that admin joking about using shorter /me's outside vs longer /me's inside, though you technically have a /melow and /dolow to allow you to type it out as much as you want. In crowds, I prefer to use /melow and back my actions up either with a very short /ame or an animation to give others — whoever might be watching — an understanding of what's happening farther away.

I appreciate players putting effort into writing their actions. You can make a nice background story in your attributes (/examine), but certain actions displayed in /me's also reflect something about the character you are portraying. 

Overexaggerated /me's like marked in bold seems more like a /me to the extend of not serious/trying to be funny.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:25 AM, Свето said:

/me consumes a  plastic container of dihydrogen monoxide, before lowering it down onto the table, gaining assistance from the 9.807 m/s gravitational pull of the planet Tellus which we currently reside on, allegedly.

Just like @Shaderz mentioned, I adapt my roleplay style to the people I'm interacting with. Occasionally I even receive compliments for the effort I put into writing out the actions of my character in depth.

1 minute ago, yerro said:

Gosh, no. Unreadable walls of text containing unnecessary information in /attributes is the thing that grinds my gears the most.

So, please don't. 😞

Don't take it out of context.

For the people who write a book about themselves in their attributes, certain actions displayed in /me's reflect the story they wrote about their character in the attributes. 

1 minute ago, Whatwasit said:

Don't take it out of context.

For the people who write a book about themselves in their attributes, certain actions displayed in /me's reflect the story they wrote about their character in the attributes. 

No offense, but I don't see any suitable context for "nice background story" that makes your sentence seem any different. I think you misspoke and that's fine, but the point that /attributes need to reflect things that can be observed — stays.

Long /me writer here:

There's several approaches to long /me's. They are definitely something to save for smaller scenes with less people. Group RP should b e quick and fluid. You shouldn't need long to continue a quickfire conversation around many people, and the flowery prose adds very little when topics move on quick. Now, I'm a firm supporter of keeping /me's to things that are perceptible. Thoughts, opinions or tangents about how your character feels have no place since your character can't see it and it often feels like a MG move to prime ideas into the minds of others without saying them. If it's an opinion and my character can't see it through your character's expression or body language, I don't need to know.

I make an exception to this if you add a few things that are more narrative-driven, or a bit of passive RP that just wants to add some realism or light-heartedness to the world.

Long story short: don't get passive-aggressive with /me's and anything else is fine as long as the people you're RPing with reciprocate. Read a room; don't throw walls of text constantly if it's not the current mood.

• Upvote 1
On 11/18/2020 at 8:40 AM, Ellix said:

I'm generally a fan of people being more descriptive, and when I'm only RPing with a couple of people, I usually do longer /me's.
That being said, stuff like this in the middle of a crowded bar just feels silly to read: 
kgTyQgg.jpg

bFdqWvC.jpg

That's my favourite poet that you're referencing! 

On 11/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, yerro said:

Gosh, no. Unreadable walls of text containing unnecessary information in /attributes is the thing that grinds my gears the most.

So, please don't. 😞

Luckily this server doesn’t run on the whims and wishes of one individual player. I’m one of those people who likes to read well-written text, regardless of its length. It really helps with expanding one’s vocabulary. I only wish others would see the good in them, because most player’s /me’s are homogenized and look the exact same. The same way of wording things, same vocabulary, etc. Don’t you guys want to push yourselves?

Before anyone says ”this isn’t an English class,” it kind of is. Text role-play is like writing a book.