Defining A Good Roleplayer.

Shaderz

In my opinion there's alot of different things that either alone or put together can define a good roleplayer, these include but aren't limited to the ability to portray a believable character, the ability to take a loss, aswell as the ability to win a situation without getting cocky and acting funny to the other players involved, the ability to leave OOC friendships at the door when roleplaying your character... Nothing irritates me more than someone who expects me to roleplay liking their character just because I like them and might be on good terms with them OOC.

Your character's dialogue also defines you as a roleplayer in my opinion, because it reflects not only what you know about what you're RPing, but also your ability to step out of the way you tend to speak/act in real life. If someone's character is a Hispanic gang member but talks like a white dude or white girl from the suburbs, then the character isn't believable unfortunately. Though if they actually talk how you'd expect a Mexican gang member to talk, you'll likely get some immersion out of interacting with that character and thus would consider said person a good roleplayer, atleast generally..

Other defining characteristics include the ability to know one's character and to create roleplay according to how your character would act, as opposed to scripting scenarios with your friends so that you can roleplay it out ingame... Along with the ability to change one's character depending on the things that happen to him/her. Your character could be a gang member right now, but in a week he/she might be sick of the life he/she has been forced to live, he or she might run away, he or she might try to leave the gang or find a way to lower their gang activities, they might even ask their big homie to let them leave.. For example, my current character is a cold hearted MS member who's been through worlds of bullshit. He used to hate Mexican Americans (Chicanos) with a passion, but through months of talking to his wife and actually doing business with Mexicans, that development all led to my char's wife dying and in an effort to 'honor' her, my character opened his gang's doors to the recruitment of Mexicans... Although it's not a GREAT example of a character changing, it's still something.

Regardless, I respect players with all of the traits I've mentioned above, along with traits that are mentioned by other players, in my opinion those types of players are the best RPers to come across.

• Upvote 1

One of the things I try myself is to talk to people as much as possible, I role-play in an illegal faction and I believe many people think as soon as somebody pulls up next to them it's "I'm going to get robbed" "Shit I'm gonna shoot this fucker" etc, and people are already planning their escape routes and planning revenge... I think It's harder trying to get people to engage with you without thinking you're trying to get something in return...

I like to talk to different people in different environments in-game because at some point yes they may benefit you but you don't always need to go robbing and looking for some sort of aggressive role-play.

A good example of this was the other day I saw somebody sitting on the edge of the pier alone so I went up and spoke to her worrying RP'ly that she was going to jump etc, I still talk to this person in-game and we've exchanged numbers etc and still speak. (She wasn't going to jump she just was chilling).

To me I think it makes a good role-player when their instant reaction isn't rudeness or aggressiveness because that shuts down RP and future RP because you just see that person as a bit of a dick... Also somebody who can RP fear (One of biggest bug bears). 

Just my two cents. 

I think the ability to separate yourself and your emotions from your character is crucial. Of course it's like reading a book, you get invested in the character and you feel sad, mad or happy when something happens to them, but you cannot let your ooc emotions or feelings impact your RP. something I think more people need to be comfortable with is having your character lose, it can create far better scenes than if you simply play to win. 

Edited by Torlo

I think defining a good roleplayer really varies between person to person. For me, I prefer short, concise emotes. I'm not a fan of the one paragraph jargon, but I know some people really appreciate that kind of roleplay.

In my opinion there's two aspects that define a good roleplayer:

1)  Is your character believable? 

2) Are you able to separate OOC and IC?

A good roleplayer can create and develop an interesting character that tells a story. Common courtesy and knowledge of RP rules is also important, as well as not being a stubborn piece of shit. Being a normal human being while you roleplay a human being is the most important thing, 'cause some people just make self-inserts and go onto some power-trip and that makes them bad roleplayers.

You can consider someone a good roleplayer when they can develop a character well and when they know the rules AND how to behave. It doesn't matter if you have good char dev and a knowledge of rules if you're a garbage human being who's running their mouth all the time or shoving stupid philosophies down peoples' throat.

What I said above makes people different. The mentality/mindset is all. Everyone can jump in game and learn to roleplay decently, it's a matter of keeping your cool when shit hits the fan so you don't start tripping because someone robbed a character you're too attached to or whatever.

I am not looking forwards to anything  when I'm roleplaying with someone because it doesn't matter who the person is while they're controlling a fictional character. As I said, I hate toxic people and dumbasses but that doesn't make me NOT roleplay with their characters. My character interacts with everyone unless there's a specific IN CHARACTER reason to avoid someone. I do not cross out CHARACTERS because the PLAYERS behind them are bad. You could be a total piece of shit to me and I'd still RP with your character because it's just a game and I don't care unless you're constantly in /b and you're pissing me off OR as I mentioned my CHARACTER has an IC reason to avoid yours.

When it comes to legal/illegal/gov RP - I'd say no. You don't need to have experience roleplaying in these factions to understand how they work. All you need is some common sense and enough will to learn a few things. There are countless people on this server who have zero idea of how the American police works and they keep running their mouth. I'm not saying they're not right, considering how many play2win rp-ers are in the LSPD but this is not a faction bashing thread, so please do not quote me here and do not start a war. This is not the right thread for it.

Finally, I'd rather be decent all around than a good roleplayer only on the legal side for example. If that's what tickles your pickle, then go ahead and roleplay only in the legal factions - nobody is stopping you. For me it would be boring after some time. As I mentioned - it is a VERY GOOD idea to learn how these factions work and it might be something you like, therefore it's worth trying or just learning about them.

A good RPer can be on the server playing alone and just focus on their own development, building their own story. And does not depend on other players to spoon feed them Roleplay and make others shape who they are. A story, a character, emotions, pros and cons to the char, a certain mindset, and goals to achieve are crucial. And ofcourse nice and engaging /me's and /do's and a way of speaking that actually suits their character.

Agreeing with what everyone else says, and I would personally like to add on top of that...

A good roleplayer does their character's actions in detail, but succint, and keeps it simple English.

I've seen some people do /mes that it felt like I am reading an 18th or 19th century book.

It just doesn't look good IMO.

I don't know if others agree.

There's so many different types of 'good roleplayers' I've come across and each have very different styles and techniques. 

It is simple and easy enough to type up a full bar of some creative and intellectual words, but detailed roleplay doesn't always mean good roleplay. Perhaps if you inspire people or people actually look forward to roleplaying with you/enjoy the interaction between characters... You're doing good. 

I think it's important to show character depth, (flaws, regrets, history etc) even if it is subtle hints added in here and there that someone can pick up on and choose to explore further if they wanted to. Being able to portray the right amount of emotion to make someone feel something or believe is cool too. 

One characteristic that always stands out for me is when someone knows when to take a hit or a loss without wanting their character to come out on top or be the best. It's alright to add failures or weakness into development and personality, it can steer the story in interesting directions.