What business would you like to see?

Aellerix

A generic office building job of some variety, possibly even as a starter job - spend time roleplaying in an office setting receiving hourly pay.

We certainly have enough buildings to create one office workspace, and it would add some variety to the starter jobs of pumping gas or delivering garbage.

Oh! Pizza delivery is another.

3 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

A generic office building job of some variety, possibly even as a starter job - spend time roleplaying in an office setting receiving hourly pay.

What sort of roleplay would be done here though? What can tie into existing systems?

8 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

What sort of roleplay would be done here though? What can tie into existing systems?

I am actually drafting something up, however the main draw would simply be having a place to roleplay generic officeplace interactions.

Arguably, it would essentially be the gas station in how one receives payment - arrive on location, clock in, and roleplay. It could be as simple as talking with someone while working in your cubicle, having a conversation at the water cooler, stealing that nifty red swingline stapler, or even attending/organizing meetings.

It would serve two purposes, the first being that it would offer a basic job for newcomers, and the second being that it would function well as a roleplay hub for people to meet other characters. 

• Applaud 1
5 hours ago, Renegade said:

Would anyone be interested in seeing an actual driving instructor that teaches you how to properly drive?

I was discussing this with another person, that there is a company that could issue licenses, flight, driving, etc, and if no one is online, then the current script can be used.

I've been a DMV employee on SAMP and I had fun.

4 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

I am actually drafting something up, however the main draw would simply be having a place to roleplay generic officeplace interactions.

Arguably, it would essentially be the gas station in how one receives payment - arrive on location, clock in, and roleplay. It could be as simple as talking with someone while working in your cubicle, having a conversation at the water cooler, stealing that nifty red swingline stapler, or even attending/organizing meetings.

It would serve two purposes, the first being that it would offer a basic job for newcomers, and the second being that it would function well as a roleplay hub for people to meet other characters. 

I think one of the issues could be with that concept is that it does not actually serve for a useful interaction with other players. Is this just a place to roleplay office humor and office politics, for no other reason than to farm and chat with others who are farming? I'd much rather see this actually serve a purpose, though it will be difficult to find something for it. Gas stations refuel cars, and 24/7s offer items to buy. What does the office place offer?

One of the things I had considered was processing, in person, /cads, /bads, etc. As in, someone has to be at a specific work station to actually post an ad, and the workers there would have to communicate with those wanting to post ads, whenever they would be posting. Perhaps they pay for a single advertisement, or they might have an ongoing agreement. I'm not sure if that would be really viable, but it is certainly a way to put the ad money now spent into the void through a process where players are able to interact with it. This would likely happen in some sort of media outlet facility. This could be an office that people come into, and for a purpose.

I think without a purpose that would be beneficial to other players, it will quickly end up being a job that is just farming with little interaction with the rest of the community.

Edited by mj2002
22 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I think one of the issues could be with that concept is that it does not actually serve for a useful interaction with other players. Is this just a place to roleplay office humor and office politics, for no other reason than to farm and chat with others who are farming? I'd much rather see this actually serve a purpose, though it will be difficult to find something for it. Gas stations refuel cars, and 24/7s offer items to buy. What does the office place offer?

One of the things I had considered was processing, in person, /cads, /bads, etc. As in, someone has to be at a specific work station to actually post an ad, and the workers there would have to communicate with those wanting to post ads, whenever they would be posting. Perhaps they pay for a single advertisement, or they might have an ongoing agreement. I'm not sure if that would be really viable, but it is certainly a way to put the ad money now spent into the void through a process where players are able to interact with it. This would likely happen in some sort of media outlet facility. This could be an office that people come into, and for a purpose.

I think without a purpose that would be beneficial to other players, it will quickly end up being a job that is just farming with little interaction with the rest of the community.

Unfortunately, tying *actual work* to the job only further removes it from actual roleplay, as it establishes actual, tangible obligations outside of 'be here and interact', and ultimately there is little an office environment can contribute without actual leadership and organization, which is just more work. People are going to avoid having to neglect roleplay to work a second job in what should be an entertaining game.

If the contributing aspect was purely opt-in, a sort of elevated status that one could join in addition to the office environment, I could see it happening. The main focus though is to create roleplay that pays reasonably, and generic office work fulfills that easily enough. 

If farming is really an issue, the pay could be diminished so as to keep it from being terribly viable. Perhaps three thousand an hour, as opposed to the rough five thousand average of the gas station.

EDIT: In retrospect, it does contribute, but not in a way some might expect - it creates a flexible workforce that companies and groups can draw upon, while organizing the very same workforce into a position where they can take on projects they may personally find appealing. One office could ultimately be helpful for every business and organization in the server, facilitating a number of duties at the leisure of those willing or wanting to help.

They could help organize shift schedules if hired by 24/7, or players within the group could organize with some of their co-workers to set up an advertising firm. The useful contribution is that this office job creates jobs, it creates connections, and it ultimately it creates server-wide potential.

Edited by DasFroggy
On 6/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, ashlyii said:

which lead to it getting closed due to the amount of deaths.

lol'd I had a visual image in my head.

That looks incredible though, I was going to mention a skate-park/ BMX 

Edited by Kabe
15 hours ago, mj2002 said:

How about a telemarketing company that sells products over the phone? or, Telemarketing scamming company?

8 minutes ago, DLimit said:

How about a telemarketing company that sells products over the phone? or, Telemarketing scamming company?

What would they sell though? And how would people have this delivered? As far as I know, there is no system to deliver items when someone is not at home. If there was to be some sort of mailbox feature, this could be a fun extension and also have some more meaningful interaction for delivery drivers. I'm sure it wouldnt take long before someone started GTA World's alternative to Amazon. 

However, I think this really all depends on what such things are selling. If it isnt offering anything interesting, why would people bother.

15 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Unfortunately, tying *actual work* to the job only further removes it from actual roleplay, as it establishes actual, tangible obligations outside of 'be here and interact', and ultimately there is little an office environment can contribute without actual leadership and organization, which is just more work. People are going to avoid having to neglect roleplay to work a second job in what should be an entertaining game.

I think you should not underestimate that some people find roleplay that resembles 'work', fun as well. You can see this by looking at the success of simulation games in Germany, but also any business management games or the truck driver games. If there is money to be made, people will do it! I think that sort of roleplay is not inherently less desirable than going to a club or hanging out with friends. As long as it is entertaining and most importantly, provides for interaction with other roleplayers that might need something.