Postal Codes on map

Pillsbury

25 minutes ago, Pillsbury said:

Sadly enough, with GTA V it's not like SA:MP, can't get those on the minimap (I have tried and tried...) - unless someone else with modding abilities is able to, sadly, were missing out on this one.

There is, with the secondary map I listed, it is sectioned out by numbers. All 9000's represent South LS, 8000's Represent Little Seoul, Vespucci and Downtown, while 7000's Represent the whole northern side of the map. 

Hi, I mean, here, somewhere

image.png.fbc7664196bfe27c9890d438466249df.png

26 minutes ago, Jura said:

From what I can see those maps don't have identical postal codes, unless I'm reading it wrong.

So it would have to be one or the other to avoid confusion.

Exactly. I linked the two to give more of an 'option'. The one everyone uses right now is currently more separated out, does not have as much postals. More of a 'area' to search per say. In my personal opinion, I would prefer the secondary one I linked. But either or could work.

I'll post the same thing that I posted on the PD Forums about this.

They're not postal codes. They're not really anything. In some cases, they could be considered block numbers, but in other parts of the map, they can't. And they don't service enough area to be considered zip codes, and there aren't enough numbers to be postal/zip codes. Mirror Park essentially has a code for every house, and that's not how that works.

I understand what you're going for here. But I don't think it's the best idea. For one, I personally find the map to be terrible looking. And two, I think you can basically achieve the same thing if you just know the streets that you're on and when you're making location calls, call your nearest cross street. I don't see the difference in this and the way things are done already, except you just call numbers instead of your actual location.

1 minute ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I'll post the same thing that I posted on the PD Forums about this.

"They're not postal codes. They're not really anything. In some cases, they could be considered block numbers, but in other parts of the map, they can't. And they don't service enough area to be considered zip codes, and there aren't enough numbers to be postal/zip codes. Mirror Park essentially has a code for every house, and that's not how that works.

I understand what you're going for here. But I don't think it's the best idea. For one, I personally find the map to be terrible looking. And two, I think you can basically achieve the same thing if you just know the streets that you're on and when you're making location calls, call your nearest cross street. I don't see the difference in this and the way things are done already, except you just call numbers instead of your actual location."

Frankly, I do not know what else you want to call them. The map creator called them Postal Codes, so that is the general term we have been using. If you are looking at the second map, yes, your right, it can be considered I guess you want to say a bit 'unrealistic' - however, using the first map, shows the smallest amount of Postal Codes within the Mirror Park area. I am not trying to *force* for one specific one. And there is honestly a huge difference while on patrol. Take Palomino Ave for an example, which goes from Vespucci near Bay City Ave, all the way up towards Weazel News, which is in Little Seoul. Due to the mapping that we have here in GTA V - I don't think its (personally) 'fair' to say that the street names can be used the same way...

I have personally had *countless of 911's* where someone says "Accident on blank street" - and that street goes from South LS to North LS.. The LAPD, as I said, uses something called "Reporting Districts" - which obviously, since LA is HUGE compared to the map we have here in GTA V, they are able to section out more of a 'block area' then just one specific pin-pointed location. If we had a sizable map, I would agree at this point that these postal's offered would be way to much. However, generally speaking, unless someone would like to make a seperate map to address those specific issues you are addressing.. I think we are kinda stuck on the two options provided, besides for the one other that is the same thing as the first one (one we currently use) but with just different numbers..

Spoiler

Ilzon2J.png

37 minutes ago, Pillsbury said:

Frankly, I do not know what else you want to call them

This map? These are street block numbers. Semi sequential, all the ones in the same area are following the same pattern in the sequence. Not necessarily true for zip/postal codes. The map numbers are being referred to incorrectly. And maybe it's something that got lost in translation or something? Or maybe the maker had a brain fart and put out that it was postal codes instead of block numbers.

b49a0d-image%201-min.png

This map? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Because in some places there are numbers packed in so tightly they resemble individual addresses. And I'm fine with that if that's what they're going for. But in some places, they have entire rows of houses on the same number. And zip/postal codes are not for individual houses or even single streets. That wouldn't make much sense, to be honest. If you take a look at Mirror Park on the second map, each house has a number. Got it. Take a look at Vespucci now. Rows of houses under the same number. So now it looks like it's more like a block number. Then you break further north and we're back to individual buildings with numbers again.

fa68f3af634f84bbd614a0affa4f976bb9184a87.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Pillsbury said:

Take Palomino Ave for an example, which goes from Vespucci near Bay City Ave, all the way up towards Weazel News, which is in Little Seoul.

You can effectively relay your position based on where you are with cross streets on even a long road. It's just not being done efficiently. And that comes with the person doing it implementing that for themselves and the people around them. If you're familiar with the streets, and you're on Palomino and you get into an accident or a situation pops up, "Directly south of Lindsay Circus on Palomino." I can find that pretty easily. I think the contrast to that is of you say "8078 Palomino" or "8113 Palomino" there is more room for confusion. Now you're looking for numbers instead of a lead in street. Because 8078 is on the north end of Palomino, and 8113 is on the south end. And you wouldn't be walking yourself up following the map numbers. If you start on the north end of that road, before the intersection where it breaks. The number is 8019. On the southern end, you're in the Canals before it dumps out into the beach. You're at 8113. Problem is, to get from 8019 to 8113, you go through the 8130 and 8140 blocks. It's just not laid out effectively enough to be anything useable in my opinion.

My point through this is, it's a cool idea to have something like that. But I think it would need to be tailored specifically for this community since we already have housing numbers on all the properties in the city and it would need to be consistent through the entire map. The map that doesn't have all the buildings labeled is sort of passable. But I mean we're back at the point now that I mentioned in the first post, if you just call your cross street then what have you gained with the map? In my eyes, the only thing worth having on this map are the street names. And I think, though I won't swear to it that there are better options out there.

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
26 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

This map? These are street block numbers. Semi sequential, all the ones in the same area are following the same pattern in the sequence. Not necessarily true for zip/postal codes. The map numbers are being referred to incorrectly. And maybe it's something that got lost in translation or something? Or maybe the maker had a brain fart and put out that it was postal codes instead of block numbers.

Reveal hidden contents

b49a0d-image%201-min.png

This map? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Because in some places there are numbers packed in so tightly they resemble individual addresses. And I'm fine with that if that's what they're going for. But in some places, they have entire rows of houses on the same number. And zip/postal codes are not for individual houses or even single streets. That wouldn't make much sense, to be honest. If you take a look at Mirror Park on the second map, each house has a number. Got it. Take a look at Vespucci now. Rows of houses under the same number. So now it looks like it's more like a block number. Then you break further north and we're back to individual buildings with numbers again.

Reveal hidden contents

fa68f3af634f84bbd614a0affa4f976bb9184a87.jpeg

You can effectively relay your position based on where you are with cross streets on even a long road. It's just not being done efficiently. And that comes with the person doing it implementing that for themselves and the people around them. If you're familiar with the streets, and you're on Palomino and you get into an accident or a situation pops up, "Directly south of Lindsay Circus on Palomino." I can find that pretty easily. I think the contrast to that is of you say "8078 Palomino" or "8113 Palomino" there is more room for confusion. Now you're looking for numbers instead of a lead in street. Because 8078 is on the north end of Palomino, and 8113 is on the south end. And you wouldn't be walking yourself up following the map numbers. If you start on the north end of that road, before the intersection where it breaks. The number is 8019. On the southern end, you're in the Canals before it dumps out into the beach. You're at 8113. Problem is, to get from 8019 to 8113, you go through the 8130 and 8140 blocks. It's just not laid out effectively enough to be anything useable in my opinion.

My point through this is, it's a cool idea to have something like that. But I think it would need to be tailored specifically for this community since we already have housing numbers on all the properties in the city and it would need to be consistent through the entire map. The map that doesn't have all the buildings labeled is sort of passable. But I mean we're back at the point now that I mentioned in the first post, if you just call your cross street then what have you gained with the map? In my eyes, the only thing worth having on this map are the street names. And I think, though I won't swear to it that there are better options out there.

In reality, it's not really important what the name is called, the reason why everyone calls it the 'Postal Codes' - is generally because the map owner called it that. I don't think the name of the map is really something we should be looking at during this suggestion, more or less improving for other players and emergency services, instead.

Saying that they won't work, is kinda the opposite to the reason why the map is so popular, has so many downloads, and is used by almost every single FiveM Community that is out there to this day.. Including, one of my own when I owned a FiveM Server.. This isn't just a 'GTA W Mod Exclusive'.. Servers including the big one like DOJ, as-well use this map. I understand they might not be 'laid out perfectly' - but your also talking someone going through tons of hours to work to make sure they 'align?'. Your also forgetting, there is a zero percent chance anyone in a vehicle or foot pursuit is going to start calling updates with the map... It's meant for pin-point location. If you say "8113 Palomino Ave" - you look on your map, find Palomino Ave.. and find the postal.. it takes about five seconds to do.. I really do see your point, but the points you are trying to prove are the ones we don't have any control over. Specifically how they do not align, is something you should result to the map owner.. unless you would like to create your own version that 'aligns' perfectly with each number.. I don't know if you are currently 'new' to Emergency Service RP, or maybe come from SA:MP - but just saying a road does not get you to the location you need. I can say that for 100% confidence, unless the road specifically has a cross, or is a small enough road where coming from either end wouldn't matter (Take Forum Drive for example), your not getting to your backup call, or call for service without circling the area once or twice, maybe even a dozen times, to find what you need. And yes, this is realistic, Officers and Emergency Service Crew have to 'find' people sometimes, but we are also talking about a game that is meant to be represented by LA. When a Reporting District comes through, it's specifically for a block area.. I honestly would love if someone made a 'GTA W Exclusive' one - where all the addresses match up with the postals, but the problem I see with that is being, well, not every house in the City, nor in the County is even close to being finished and ready for players to buy, so.. we would be making an update to this map almost every few months. 

Edited by Pillsbury

I think I agree with the above user. This doesn't seem like it would make things easier. Wouldn't it be better to compile a map with all scripted street names and property addresses on it? This would reflect how you navigate in real life (using street names and addresses on those streets), making it really easy for anybody to understand. All you would have to do is navigate the map of Los Santos exactly how you would navigate your own town or city in real life.

I personally do not support this idea. I feel that this would overcomplicate something that doesn't need to be. It should stay as-is.

For communication between 'civilians and emergency staff', most of the people on the streets do not have an idea of what the postal might be. Working as an LEO myself, sometimes they don't even know what street they're on. You noted out in your initial suggestion the example of "there has been an accident on XX Ave" as well as the fact that most of the people have no clue where that's at. My department has emergency pos systems in place where, if you have grounds to believe that a person's life is in danger, we can trace your phone and it will tell us roughly where you're at (approx 50m). 

It's realistic that a person doesn't know where they're at and in the case of the video you brought out, I am more than certain that the person who answers the call navigates to the spot on the map (locating where the street actually is) and then refers the postal code to the officers.

For reference, I work in the EU.

• mj2002 locked this topic