Roleplaying Rich

DLimit

1 minute ago, Topinambour said:

Wait. Because a character only develops when they get rich?

I was told RP was about developing a character through development of stories with other characters, scenarios, stuff like this. Unless you mistook a roleplaying game with a basic mobile game where you grind gold. 

That's not what I am implying at, I am saying that people like to RP "rich" because they don't want to go through the whole phase of developing a character and now to what you are saying, no, you don't have to be poor to dev a character up, obviously. I am just saying that I have been on GTAW for a while now and I only see people being rich and driving those flashy vehicles, basicly showing off. That's why I am saying that it isn't a problem If you RP rich but you've to know how to RP rich.

4 hours ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

That's not what I am implying at, I am saying that people like to RP "rich" because they don't want to go through the whole phase of developing a character and now to what you are saying, no, you don't have to be poor to dev a character up, obviously. I am just saying that I have been on GTAW for a while now and I only see people being rich and driving those flashy vehicles, basicly showing off. That's why I am saying that it isn't a problem If you RP rich but you've to know how to RP rich.

This is the reason as to why this topic was made, as I desire to witness the public's opinion on how to effectively roleplay as a rich-person, beyond game mechanics.

Incoming wall of text ?

@DLimit :

How to RP rich is really subjective. I've seen plenty of responses on here about a "right" way to RP rich. That is very narrow minded, to be honest. I've seen plenty of examples of rich people (in real life) who flaunt it every chance they get because they want people to know it. They want to feel superior to others by showing how rich they are. Others you would never know are rich because that's how they prefer to live. I've personally known a millionaire who still shops at Walmart. Either way, it's not wrong.

In role play, where the flaws start to show is your character story and development. The issue up to this point has been poor portrayal in the sense that character stories have been pretty weak (not all, but a majority) and lazy: 

• "I work hard as a mechanic and save a lot of money."
  • "I work as an independent courier for a while."
  • "I work as a bartender multiple nights a week."

While there is nothing wrong with these stories as a starting point for character development, many on the server carry on lavish lives in world record time (a matter of hours/days) and expect that to explain how they can continue living grand with no more to the story. They go from fishers, to mechanics, to bar owners in a matter of days / weeks with zero development and all of a sudden they are living the rich life. Mechanics who have worked at a shop for 3 days and suddenly they are driving a fully modified, expensive car with zero explanation as to where that money came from. Bartenders driving top of the line sports cars with a "my tips are good" explanation. This is where it becomes poor portrayal and why so many people are negative towards the "Rich RP" on this server.

TL;DR - Choose any direction you want. That's the beauty of RP. Do you want to start at the bottom and work your way up? Or do you want to start out as a rich individual? Are you going to be a cocky SOB who shows off or someone who lives a humble life? Either way, you have to craft a backstory that fits. While crafting your story and developing your character ask yourself the question, "If PLM were to show up and ask me the why's and how's of my character, would I have a good answer?"

Edited by Kestalas
  • Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Kestalas said:

Incoming wall of text ?

@DLimit :

How to RP rich is really subjective. I've seen plenty of responses on here about a "right" way to RP rich. That is very narrow minded, to be honest. I've seen plenty of examples of rich people (in real life) who flaunt it every chance they get because they want people to know it. They want to feel superior to others by showing how rich they are. Others you would never know are rich because that's how they prefer to live. I've personally known a millionaire who still shops at Walmart. Either way, it's not wrong.

In role play, where the flaws start to show is your character story and development. The issue up to this point has been poor portrayal in the sense that character stories have been pretty weak (not all, but a majority) and lazy: 

• "I work hard as a mechanic and save a lot of money."
  • "I work as an independent courier for a while."
  • "I work as a bartender multiple nights a week."

While there is nothing wrong with these stories as a starting point for character development, many on the server carry on lavish lives in world record time (a matter of hours/days) and expect that to explain how they can continue living grand with no more to the story. They go from fishers, to mechanics, to bar owners in a matter of days / weeks with zero development and all of a sudden they are living the rich life. Mechanics who have worked at a shop for 3 days and suddenly they are driving a fully modified, expensive car with zero explanation as to where that money came from. Bartenders driving top of the line sports cars with a "my tips are good" explanation. This is where it becomes poor portrayal and why so many people are negative towards the "Rich RP" on this server.

TL;DR - Choose any direction you want. That's the beauty of RP. Do you want to start at the bottom and work your way up? Or do you want to start out as a rich individual? Are you going to be a cocky SOB who shows off or someone who lives a humble life? Either way, you have to craft a backstory that fits. While crafting your story and developing your character ask yourself the question, "If PLM were to show up and ask me the why's and how's of my character, would I have a good answer?"

Very well argued and explained concept of good roleplay and poor roleplay. In my honest opinion, this is the greatest response that I've witnessed, so far. Then again, you'll always have criticism from people suggesting that one is lazy for "being born with an extraordinary amount of wealth" while arguing that "It leads to lacking development". People need to be reminded that wealth is only a fraction of development, as development is measured in one's interactions with their environment in a realistic yet immersive manner.

14 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Very well argued and explained concept of good roleplay and poor roleplay. In my honest opinion, this is the greatest response that I've witnessed, so far. Then again, you'll always have criticism from people suggesting that one is lazy for "being born with an extraordinary amount of wealth" while arguing that "It leads to lacking development". People need to be reminded that wealth is only a fraction of development, as development is measured in one's interactions with their environment in a realistic yet immersive manner.

People are born into wealth every day somewhere in the world. It's not a new concept nor is it out of the ordinary. Choosing where your development goes after that is the important part. I would agree that a better explanation than "my parents were rich" should be created, but I don't mind that angle of where someone starts rich. Part of life is that some people start with nothing and some people start with everything. Quality over quantity at this point. You can create a quality, rich character from the start. It seems that very few have done it right on this server and most characters are overnight rags to riches, which is why there is all the negative stigma towards the subject.

Edited by Kestalas
  • Applaud 2
7 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

But you can't start with a Dinka and 3 Eclipse Tower appartments.

Everyone starts poor.

Why can’t you? This is part of the problem with perception. Some people seem to think that you HAVE to own expensive things if you’re rich. This is completely wrong. 

Just because someone has a lot of money doesn’t mean they spend it on an expensive car. Maybe they just like a nice place to lay their head at night. Not everyone knows where you live, but people see your car. Maybe they don’t want people to know they are rich? As I said before, I personally know a millionaire (friend of my Dad’s) who still shops for clothes at Walmart. It’s not unheard of.

Edited by Kestalas
1 hour ago, Kestalas said:

Why can’t you? This is part of the problem with perception. Some people seem to think that you HAVE to own expensive things if you’re rich. This is completely wrong. 

Just because someone has a lot of money doesn’t mean they spend it on an expensive car. Maybe they just like a nice place to lay their head at night. Not everyone knows where you live, but people see your car. Maybe they don’t want people to know they are rich? As I said before, I personally know a millionaire (friend of my Dad’s) who still shops for clothes at Walmart. It’s not unheard of.

I mean, my wealthy character that had inherited half a million dollars, from her deceased father, with a business that accumulates fifty grand on busy days and four grand on "dead days" resides within Grove Street with a Voodoo shop in Davis. The only fancy aspect about her is her clothing and Voodoo vehicle. Other than that, she lives in the ghetto as she was raised with Haitian mobsters that indulged in criminal activity. 

She'll spray expensive perfume on to her body, while professing that "The spiritual world is more important than the material world", allowing her to provide a homeless man with the ability to sleep at the back of the shop. A wealthy Voodoo High-Priestess that is humble and charitable... Doesn't have to be 100% glamorous with three vehicles and a luxury condo.