State of San Andreas - State of driving - Public Barometer

State of San Andreas Driving - Public opinion survey  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Barbary said:

So what's the solution? Up the restrictions on car upgrades? That'll be a deathblow to mechanic RP. Buff Law Enforcement cars? That's considered Play to Win.

Mechanics normally have plenty customers, lower some of the level of modifications won't even reduce their customers anyway. Specific cars like taxi's and busses and shit shouldn't even be able to get a turbo installed, that's just plain unrealistic.

There's no "solution" here, there will always be reckless drivers, but it can certainly be reduced through IC and OOC implementations.

• Upvote 1
On 2/19/2024 at 3:19 AM, Soyuz said:

It's in a horrible state right meow. It's not even that traffic is underenforced by police. Traffic cops do a great job. The issue is that the laws are too weak to counteract the extremely reckless driving many players engage in. Often times it makes it unenjoyable, such as when I drive knowing that at any one of these intersections I'm going to get mauled into the sixth circle of hell by an unregistered Asbo. The penalty for speeding or running an intersection isn't scary enough as it is in the US irl. 

We hold all other crime to such a high standard, but we disregard traffic entirely. The laws need to be more stringent. 

My suggestions have always been:

• Stricter traffic laws

• Points system w/ auto license suspension/revocation

• Dedicated agency to traffic enforcement (OH THE HORROR!!) 

• Written, not just practical, driver's test that tests you on the laws, too. 

I 100% agree. Every time I'm on patrol, I see cars blatantly disregarding every traffic law known to man, flying down Alta Street going 120mph, etc. Stuff that isn't realistic at all. Realistically, a lot of the traffic stops we make should lead to arrests. I think the traffic laws need to be re-visited and penalties need to be increased. Tickets should put a dent in someone's wallet in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Power said:

Like I said it won't work. I'm sure you have to know that it isn't going to stop people. Guess what you take away their license, what happens next? They just drive on their suspended license and nothing changes because driving on a license is just a misdemeanor. And even if you change Driving without a license to a felony which IMO would be excessive but say you do that, they probably still will do it. Felony charges don't stop people from evading, everyday I see someone running from the cops. Says lets go even harsher how about impounding or even confiscating vehicles? People will just buy another vehicle with the way the economy on this server people will just by a cheap car like a Vapid Torrence or what ever the budget fast car of the day is and then do what they were doing before still without a license. People just need to accept you aren't going to get people to behave the way you want all the time on RP servers because the consequences don't exist like they do IRL its a game where people can just create a new character or name change and erase all the consequences of their actions. It is what it is at this point, its the nature of RP servers you will never get rid of. Just enjoy the RP the best you can and don't let the perfect me the enemy of the good. 

We have plenty of rules but people still PG, MG, etc. Are you saying we should just remove the rules and enjoy the RP the best we can? XD We should (or at least the server) still try to mitigate the problem the best we can.

• Upvote 1

We need to start seizing cars. Not permanently at first but for a week or two. I've never seen that happen on this server unfortunately.

I agree, all the reckless driving on this server is a big problem. Go stand on any intersection big or small and you'll see people fly past with 100mph+ without stopping or slowing down. Whenever I am driving through town and I safely stop at intersections while having people behind me annoys them when I'm not blowing through the intersection. Even coming to a rolling stop seems to annoy people nowadays. 

If people could stop evading cops for a minor traffic citation that'd be great too. Don't get why you'd have yo evade the cops for this reason alone. 

• Upvote 3

I believe some people from PD's traffic team went to their congressman with the question to review the traffic laws as it's currently laughably easy, and there's no real deterrent. 

There is zero counterplay to people in sunrises and STX's that are fully tuned up. Even the new souped up utilities that were handed out to PD & SD don't hold a candle to them. The idea was that enough evidence would be gathered to either A. Go after the driver if the driver was known, or B. Go after the car and have the car seized permanently. 

Furthermore it expanded on drivers licenses having a points system a la LSRP if anyone here still remembers them. Where you'd have a 3-strike policy in terms of warnings. Once a 3rd warning on the license was given, car gets impounded, license revoked which means you'd have to wait 7 days IRL before you'd be able to re-do your drivers test and get a new license. 

That same revocation status was applied to serious traffic offenses, so if you were busted going 120 miles per hour down vespucci as many do and you got caught, you'd not only go to jail, you'd have the car impounded for 7-14 days, license revoked for 7 days and a 25.000$ fine thrown at you. 

With a clause in effect if you evaded from police in a high performance vehicle, the evading charge would essentially double in terms of time, impound & fine. The current fines max out at 20k for most of em. For a mallrat that's pocket change.

Current penal code lacks teeth in every sense of the word. 

Attempts were made from our side to take it IC, but unfortunately it needs to come from the legislative side. And it's been pretty quiet from their side sadly.

• Upvote 1

Going double the speed limit should have some sort of consequence.

I'd be fine with someone speeding slightly getting a small fine. But if you go 20, 30, or even 60 miles per hour over the speed limit, it should have some sort of IC consequence.

A points system, or doubling of the fine at each 15/20 miles per hour you're overspeeding would be a possible deterrent.

Edit:

Let's say you're doing 120 miles per hour in the city center, where you're allowed to do 60 miles per hour. And let's say the overspeeding increments is at 15 miles per hour. This would mean that ( 120 - 60 ) / 15 = 4, you're overspeeding 4 times. Any fine you'd be getting will be multiplied by 4.

Speeding first time? $10000 fine, second time? $20000 fine. 3rd time? $30000.

Edited by Jeroen
  • Upvote 3

I really like the idea of replicating IRL with points on your license leading to either license revoked for a period of time, leading to increased insurances and then having to reapply for your license (redo a driving test - it would need to be revamped though).

• Upvote 3