The future of medical roleplay

I wholeheartedly agree with Biscuit. I can only speak from my own example - I applied to be a lifeguard, I went through the already tedious recruitment process only to be told to attend an induction which turned out to be a 4 hours long session where the instruction word by word recited the BLS manual, which was already present and readily available on the forums. This, quite frankly, killed all of my motivation to do anything medical related. It wasn't only overly complicated, but also boring. It was a school-esque environment where you essentially had to sit and listen to a person type out a 10 pages long manual. Then again, this was in 2021 so I'd hope that had been modified and made less lengthy since then.

I'd love to have an FD character, it looks cool, I like the aesthetics - but I can't and won't bring myself to try and understand all the complicated procedures, treatments and whatever else. It's a tedious task for a regular person like me who doesn't have any medical knowledge, and I'm fairly sure that I'm not alone with this. If it was dumbed down, consolidated into a few pages of actual stuff that happens and EMTs/Firefighters deal with on a daily basis, I'm sure we'd see a spike in the number of applicants. 

Just my two cents from my very limited experience from 2021 - if it did change since then, I'll be happy to stand corrected. 

• Upvote 3

I do believe we just need more activity from PHMC and LSFD at this point and more health system and such is the way to go, to achieve that we need to switch from a lot of wall texted /me's and /do's to an interactable IU where treatment is done. Maybe a simpler menu for paramedics on scene and a more complex menu for doctors at the hospital. It could be modeled off the ARMA mod which seems fun. And you could make it so the person being treated also has an overview of the menu so they can see what's happening to them and what the medics are doing. Also maybe even make it so the paramedics or doctors can worsen their condition if they don't apply correct treatment and follow medical procedures. Maybe after treatment plans with the doctor, some pain pills that could develop an addiction. Do make these things optional so some degree, because injuries are way too common and literally everyone would be walking around with injuries at one point if it was mandatory.

We also need more consequences in terms of injuries, make them last longer in terms of effects or something. Maybe make it so they have to visit a hospital for full treatment or they feel health effects that last for a long time.

I believe making something fun for medics, even a stretcher script to go along with it, will go a long way at making the position of doctor and medic more appealing and in return generating more activity. Make illnesses script wise and all that but optional so if someone decides to RP these kind of things, there are ways for it to be logged and observed and shown trough script which makes it a lot of times more immersive and appealing, and provides more continuity.

Whoever is currently involved in medical RP needs to speak up as to what would make them more active, more happy and satisfied.

I honestly feel as though the injury script needs a bit of TLC. People are being shot and are back out on the streets within minutes. Injuries resulting from shootings or being knocked out should have more of an effect on a character's abilities - how? I'm not too sure. Perhaps making use of the hobbling walk style could be a good start. Maybe prevent people with lower HP from being able to do certain things, such as scaling walls or sprinting at full speed despite being shot twice in the back. I feel that at the moment, injuries are regularly skipped over with the use of water bottles and bandages, which makes things problematic for others. Injuries should be more long-term and require actual medical assistance, rather than people roleplaying packing their injuries using a t-shirt or applying a tourniquet to their character's neck (?) and then continuing about their day like nothing happened.

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, Fireworks said:

I honestly feel as though the injury script needs a bit of TLC. People are being shot and are back out on the streets within minutes. Injuries resulting from shootings or being knocked out should have more of an effect on a character's abilities - how? I'm not too sure. Perhaps making use of the hobbling walk style could be a good start. Maybe prevent people with lower HP from being able to do certain things, such as scaling walls or sprinting at full speed despite being shot twice in the back. I feel that at the moment, injuries are regularly skipped over with the use of water bottles and bandages, which makes things problematic for others. Injuries should be more long-term and require actual medical assistance, rather than people roleplaying packing their injuries using a t-shirt or applying a tourniquet to their character's neck (?) and then continuing about their day like nothing happened.

I like this idea, but I'm worried it might spark a kamikaze mentality. People get debilitating damage so they just go all in so they can get downed and go for a PK.

Honestly the more I think about it a lot of the problems with this server's medical RP revolve around the PK system. You can PK out of basically anything. Hell you can probably PK your way out of a CK if you're clever enough.

12 hours ago, Sharvit said:

What do you guys think about paid healthcare? having people pay for treatment & ambulance services and the ability to have health insurance that reduces costs? 

I'm already going bankrupt by paying 3 citations per day

Paid healthcare & health insurance? Hell naw

1 hour ago, Barbary said:

I like this idea, but I'm worried it might spark a kamikaze mentality. People get debilitating damage so they just go all in so they can get downed and go for a PK.

Honestly the more I think about it a lot of the problems with this server's medical RP revolve around the PK system. You can PK out of basically anything. Hell you can probably PK your way out of a CK if you're clever enough.

Maybe make it something you can’t PK out of? Or at least see how it goes that way and if not then just make it so it resets with a PK if it bothers people that much in the end.

12 hours ago, Sharvit said:

What do you guys think about paid healthcare? having people pay for treatment & ambulance services and the ability to have health insurance that reduces costs? 

PHMC put out a survey about this. You should post it somewhere more public & link it. 

I don't think adding monetary requirements will increase the amt of people who want to engage with medical rp, unless mechanical requirements coincide. And even then, if there's massive debuffs to living, people will PK out of stuff more (even if they should be getting CK'd from dying w/o being in the dead state; it's rarely enforced due to a lack of care to forum report such situations bc of how prevalant they are /now/) 

And you can't keep people injured after they PK, because that's metagaming. Difficult situation. 

Edited by Kari
1 hour ago, Fireworks said:

The slow-jog does exist & would be well used in this situation. Additionally, maybe having /stopbleeding on a 30 or 40 second timer if you're not already in a downed state so people CAN'T do it the second before they bleed out, and have to prioritize it over winning the gunfight etc. Also some better indicators of when you're bleeding out would be nice, rn it's not super obvious from what I've seen. 

Edited by Kari

For medic retention:

I'd like to see a script whereby a person who wishes to roleplay something other than a GSW (heart attack, broken leg, allergic reaction...etc) can be matched with a medical roleplayer who is looking for something to do.  Right now, you have no idea if there would be a medic willing to roleplay with you.  I'm thinking something like /openformedicalRP which FD/PHMC can set, which perhaps shows something on /onduty where it says "detailed medical calls: encouraged".  At this point, people know there is a medic looking for something other than a GSW.  Same for fire actually - I sometimes thought about creating an interesting fire-related call like a stuck cat or a stranded boat with a broken engine.  But we need to know somebody would be INTERESTED in responding to that.  And I think a script could help "matchmake" in that regard.

If we create this variety in calls, medics might stay and be more motivated.  But we need to know somebody is online and willing to respond before doing it.

An alternative could be like /proposemedicalscene and then you describe it.  and that gets sent to FD/PHMC and they can PM you to say "yessss do it" or you don't get a reply and then you know not to bother.

Edited by Paenymion
  • Upvote 3

Paid healthcare is an entirely different matter, completely separate from medical roleplay. 

What is the purpose of healthcare in our game? A medical bill isn’t “healthcare”. And if medical roleplay is part of daily life in Los Santos, why do we want to punitively punish that roleplay with medical bills? Who will get free healthcare and why? Do corporate, government and city workers enjoy paid healthcare and what about Medicaid and Medicare? Some people have 7 million in the bank another a few thousand. How do you incite people to roleplay with the medical system while simultaneously robbing them?