Stealing Vehicles and /FixVeh

Message added by Vindicator,

Keep the suggestion on topic to the suggestion. Comments that derail the thread or violate the common courtesty rule from this point on will be met with warnings. 

7 hours ago, Paenymion said:

Fixveh is a very useful command and I don't agree that people "abuse" it.  If I have some fun RP in Paleto and then go to sleep OOCly....next day I click to spawn at my house.  Should I really have to RP that my car is still in Paleto?  Why couldn't my character have driven back home in the background?  I don't really see who is harmed by this, other than perhaps a taxi driver who might have to drive me back to Paleto the next day, for no IC reason that makes any sense.

Regardless of the side of the argument, you just started the paragraph by saying you dont agree that people abuse this command, and then described a situation where you abuse the command. The person you're replying to is perfectly correct and you proved it. Fixveh is used for convenience 99% of the time, and only rare for actual bug resolving. Thats just how it is. We all see the red text warning that it is only for bugs, and we all ignore it. That's just how it is.

This all started when the command changed to include a teleport mechanism, somewhere in 2020 I reckon. Before that, people logged into their character where they left off the previous time, spawned their car, and moved on. Since this command has changed, a lot of roleplay potential has quietly disappeared and has made way for convenience. No need for a taxi, no need for public transport, no need for a towtruck, no need to call a friend, not running into random situations. If that's what you prefer, then just say so. No need to dance around and pretend /fixveh isn't abused. It was used for when you spawned a car on top of another car, and it had tipped over, like /vflip. Now its just a convenience tool so people can stay as much in their own bubble and avoid random interactions. You do it, I do it, everyone here does it. That's the direction we've chosen as a community and that's fine. Just be honest about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Astralsomnia said:

I dunno, I have no way to find out, but it ruined the RP of me ruining someone's car cuz I stole it while drunk. What's the solution to this? Disable /fixveh if someone else was the last person to ride the car? Or if it was lockpicked/hotwired? What about stopping people who just run around testing every car door they come upon, taking cars that are /cim'd disabled (cuz, if we actually disable them, they just disappear). They aren't even really RPing, and breaking CC rules by ignoring /cims.

I dunno, man, I'm just disappointed this scene I made basically got ignored. It would have led to some fun consequences, but the current game systems make it unlikely to happen.

You can't even fixveh if your car has been spawned or hotwired like that. Hell sometimes fixveh doesn't even work when you spawn it back in. Also, this isn't IRL where it needs to take 2 hours to tow a car out. Someone could have towed it out, it could have been fixveh'd by an admin and taken to a shop...And the likelyhood that you would have had someone go after you would have been next to none. If that car was left there crashed against a tree or whatever you did with it, 9/10 people are gonna just assume it was a disconnect (We have literal cars left in intersections), no one is stopping to investigate it. 

And the Auto-Theft Task Force is probably not gonna go after you lol, they're focused on the exporters and choppers. 

Edited by CowboyYoda22

I don't see why people are going for personal attacks on someone who actively spends a lot of time on thinking through the negative sides of things, that may get abused, like the /fixveh command. Y'all just don't want the inconvenience of actually roleplaying.

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Astralsomnia said:

((that may have been me, lmao. Did you have a glock in the center console that I totally stole?))

honestly lady that was back in 2021, when i was still in school and not struggling 😭

1 hour ago, Astralsomnia said:

If people want to react negatively TO MY SUGGESTION, then they can, and are welcome to, and I will love to retort their replies with my own. You know, have a mature discussion about it.

That is now what you, KussArch, or Smudge are doing. You guys are making jokes, memes, nongeniune responses, and calling ME out, not my suggestion. And you you guys do this constantly, my responses on a thread is always 75% people actually discussing the point, 25% you guys shitposting and being toxic. Its always the same people, and you guys are all related to one-another, so don't call me delulu.

If you seriously think that is acceptable, its no wonder why you have so many warnings.

my response was a 100% genuine. no shitpost, no memes.

4 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Before that, people logged into their character where they left off the previous time, spawned their car, and moved on.

Well what we have now is a choice on where to spawn.  If a character can teleport around the city, it doesn't make sense that their vehicle cannot.  How did my character get home??

9 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

Well what we have now is a choice on where to spawn.  If a character can teleport around the city, it doesn't make sense that their vehicle cannot.  How did my character get home??

+1 on this tbh

I'm not a fan of being able to TP around. I think the purpose for it is because people who crash or D/C in the middle of a road, or haven't been online in a while, can choose where they spawn, such as an airport to fit their IC story.

But.... its abused all the time. I see people get banned frequently for abusing it to TP their characters around and escape encounters. Would it be possible to add a timer to this? Last time logged on under an hour? Can only spawn in last known location. Under 8hrs? House unlocked. Anything after, airport.

You take care of that, and you can solve the fixveh abuse too.

3 hours ago, Paenymion said:

Also agree with this.

20 hours ago, Astralsomnia said:

I play with 7 layers of in-character.

My raw self, the original self, is an eldritch horror beyond human comprehension.

My 1st layer is simply me acting to fit in with humans. The faces I put on IRL when I communicate with lower life forms.

My 2nd layer is who I am on the internet, which is partially to protect myself from Doxxing, but my behavior is a lot more outgoing online, and the person I am online isn't the person I am IRL.

The 3rd layer is how I act on GTAW, which is a little bit more fun and less serious than I am in other communities. I behave differently in every community, which is further who I am online in general.

The 4th layer is how I act on the forums, which is different than how I act on discord. Here I'm a more trolly person than I am in GTAW general, so I use OOC to kinda signify I'm talking more genuinely.

The 5th layer is how I act in-game as fate, or the narrator for my characters. Normally, all my characters have interactions and conflict each other, and I behave as their writer.

But the 6th layer is the character themselves, when I am playing as Del, or Sura, or Notsu. This is their raw self, who they actually are, which is fairly serious and deep

Finally, the 7th layer is how my characters act, which often isn't true to themselves and is just a mask, a facade, a different person than who they really are and act like to facilitate their goals.

?

A little confused about this.

But anyway... /fixveh is useful for a multitude of reasons.

If my character went to a bar or a friend's house last night and I needed to log off after, the character would have still technically gone home.
There's no reason for me to spawn outside their house or the bar and go from there, if IC I was supposed to be gone. Anyone physically there would be able to take it IC: why was my character still at so&so's house? Why were they outside a closed bar?
We'd rather just spawn at home and do /fixveh. That's fair use and common sense. Unfortunately, some fun scenes and the consequences of stolen/broken cars do get overlooked in those situations, but that's not game-breaking. You can still RP it, you can still try to reach out if you know the owner.

And to the people wanting to restrict being able to /changechar and spawn at different locations - people use this all the time for fair reasons. Mappers need to use this feature frequently too. I usually have to hop back to my house to see the name of specific furniture I used in certain builds/areas.

These have been commands and features for years, because they're helpful. Things that "break immersion" in some situations but help you maintain immersion in other ones. It's not black and white. Abusing those commands can be caught. The answer shouldn't be to restrict features left and right because you haven't gotten a well-rounded experience of the server. You need to see things from other people's point of view.

Edited by baddie
  • Upvote 4
5 hours ago, baddie said:

We'd rather just spawn at home and do /fixveh. That's fair use and common sense.

Exactly this.  After more thought, I believe there is something missing in the script.  Our characters can "go home" in the background when we choose to spawn at our house the next day, but our vehicles are left behind.  This is an oversight, and fixveh is the best and only command we have to fill the gap even if it wans't intended to be used in that way.  We need something like /bringvehicleshome which has an 8 hour cooldown, or to just keep being fine with /fixveh being used (which 99% of people are).