ajail/ban messages toggable

+1

Honestly though, at the very least, admins should stop writing entire paragraphs on why someone got jailed/banned. We don't need to read all that. Just put "[Admin] admin jailed [user] for 30 minutes. Reason: Deathmatching" Something like that. It gets the point across without spamming the chat of everyone on the server.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jacooob said:

Don't see the need for it. It informs players of rulebreaks and sets a clear example of what is not allowed - so that other people don't do the same thing. I think they should stay visible for everyone

I get the idea, I do. But, how do you find out EXACTLY what happened? Being able to see what happened (Like if report conclusions were posted publically somewhere) would be a better deterrant for rulebreaking. An admin potentially spamming your chatbox with potentially more than one of these (For example in my example there was 5(?)) paragraphs when you're trying to roleplay, is unneeded and unwanted by some, especially if you have accessibility concerns like being unable to keep up with the chatbox already in busy roleplay scenarios and ennvironments.

• Upvote 1

now if we were transparent on bans and player punishments and talked about them civilly, I'd be against this.

However, we are not- consequently, selective bits of information about such being tossed at players serves no real purpose.

10 hours ago, Jacooob said:

It informs players of rulebreaks and sets a clear example of what is not allowed

We need to take in account though:

The design we use, with admins being given the option to display a message when banning (or jailing) somebody, is maybe, 15 years old and not tailored to our rp server? If SAMP didn't rip it off anywhere else, that is.... 🤭

On a ffa server it can make sense to remind people of existing basic rules.

Contrary to this however, it's safe to say players bothering to register and apply for gtaw are aware of the rules we have in place, at least in average- of course our application system is not perfect and might be bypassed by ignorant persons oblivious to the concept of roleplaying in rare circumstances, but in general such players will be either filtered out, or made aware of rules to play by in this application process.

Consequently, we can safely assume the educative effect of displaying such messages does not practically exist:

The average player online on the server does know quite well what rules we uphold.

Thus, learning that breaking the rules is not okay is pretty pointless- I allege most players are quite well aware of this.

9 hours ago, Jorgensen said:

But, how do you find out EXACTLY what happened?

Just to pick up on this some more as it relates directly to the alleged (and actually non existent) educative factor.

In the examples where admins do bother to write explanations, opposed to simply state a broken rule, players not involved in the scene will typically lack the necessary background information to draw serious practical conclusions from simply learning of a verdict (no public pooping, we got it!).

Thus, even when there's potentially interesting cases- interesting as in, players defining rules differently and admins having to establish consensus, not as in, laughing over others- that we should talk and reflect about, these short messages will not help with this (at best they're not so controversial a debate sparks about them, after all).

Needless to point out here, to debate rules, the forum is the platform to go, at least when I'm actually interested to debate and see other opinions too.

A little history lesson:

Some 10 years ago when I first joined samp we still got ic arrest messages displayed that same way until someone stood up and asked for it to be removed.

+1

• Upvote 1