Crime Restrictions in "The Hills"

Message added by sevo,

A polite message to all forum users to remain courteous with their replies in this thread. Violations of the common courtesy rule will be met with forum warnings. Thank you.

I'm usually against ideas like this because it always tends to come from legal RPers who have no idea how to live/keep themselves safe in a big city, and are just looking for an OOC restriction to compensate for their lack of life experience and general situational awareness.

In this case however, I'm actually inclined to agree. I don't know if it should be a crime-restricted area, per se, because shit happens (though I don't think I'd be opposed to it). However, I do think that unless there's a very good, predetermined reason for it, you should be able to throw up a 'poor portrayal' report for either a rule 1 or 9 violation on anyone who mugs you there and it be successful more often than not. Basically just add language to the current rules that has the burden shifted to the robber to explain why their broke-ass character from the Davis projects drove the real-life equivalent of a 45 minute drive to rob a group of rich people in a neighborhood that IRL is filled mostly with gated communities and security guards.

Edited by NickyW
4 minutes ago, NickyW said:

I'm usually against ideas like this because it always tends to come from legal RPers who have no idea how to live/keep themselves safe in a big city, and are just looking for an OOC restriction to compensate for their lack of life experience and general situational awareness.

In this case however, I'm actually inclined to agree. I don't know if it should be a crime-restricted area, per se, because shit happens (though I don't think I'd be opposed to it). However, I do think that unless there's a very good, predetermined reason for it, you should be able to throw up a 'poor portrayal' report for either a rule 1 or 9 violation on anyone who mugs you there and it be successful more often than not. Basically just add language to the current rules that has the burden shifted to the robber to explain why their broke-ass character from the Davis projects drove the real-life equivalent of a 45 minute drive to rob a group of rich people in a neighborhood that IRL is filled mostly with gated communities and security guards.

what if they walked 5 minutes from vinewood instead tho?

-1. Hire security like real life rich people do. My character is the most public, easiest lick to hit but she takes precautions and hasn’t ever been robbed or hurt in any part of the city.

As for people jumping fences and randomly mugging you in your backyard, if that actually happens I’m pretty sure that this could be reported for poor portrayal, especially if you did do the effort of ICly securing your property.

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've said this and I'll say it again. I think if guns are easier to acquire, this problem wouldn't exist. The criminal characters won't have to rob/mug every moving being if they already have what they wanted. And those that still do, will only do it for character development (or maybe malicious OOC reason but still).

• Thanks 1

After 190+ replies to this thread it's clear that illegal RP'ers clearly refuse to put themselves in the other's shoes. As I have said before, it's NOT an IC issue, because there's already OOC limitations to it. If ten characters from Vinewood arm themselves to the teeth and blast every dude who jumps a fence or fiddles with a lock, I can bet that they'll end up on the forums. If a robber steps into my yard and I protect my property and put some 12-gauge slugs into him, I get admin jailed for DM or whatever, when, in reality, if you get caught in someone's yard, you might as well get shot without question.

As for security. There are what? 30 guards online at most (at peak hours) while you've got dozens of houses and streets in Vinewood Hills. Again, OOC limitations because there is NO PLAYERBASE FOR THAT.  Apart from the playerbase, guards, like most of us, want to RP with other people. They don't want to patrol empty streets or RP with themselves. (Maybe streets wouldn't be so empty if people could actually be able to RP outside without getting robbed 5 times a week).

What most of you fail to understand is that no one has a problem with being robbed if it's properly portrayed or fun. It's a ROLEPLAY server, not a cops and robbers or whatever. We're here to portray a character and have fun, not to stack up on guns or get pixel points for who has the most cash, robberies or whatever. The problem is the unreasonable and unrealistic amount of crime and the portrayal of those crimes. As I have said before: You wanna mug someone? Catch them while they go jogging or while they walk their dog or something. Don't go jumping fences into back yard and don't ingore CCTV. 

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Andrew Brandenburg said:

After 190+ replies to this thread it's clear that illegal RP'ers clearly refuse to put themselves in the other's shoes. As I have said before, it's NOT an IC issue, because there's already OOC limitations to it. If ten characters from Vinewood arm themselves to the teeth and blast every dude who jumps a fence or fiddles with a lock, I can bet that they'll end up on the forums. If a robber steps into my yard and I protect my property and put some 12-gauge slugs into him, I get admin jailed for DM or whatever, when, in reality, if you get caught in someone's yard, you might as well get shot without question.

As for security. There are what? 30 guards online at most (at peak hours) while you've got dozens of houses and streets in Vinewood Hills. Again, OOC limitations because there is NO PLAYERBASE FOR THAT.  Apart from the playerbase, guards, like most of us, want to RP with other people. They don't want to patrol empty streets or RP with themselves. (Maybe streets wouldn't be so empty if people could actually be able to RP outside without getting robbed 5 times a week).

What most of you fail to understand is that no one has a problem with being robbed if it's properly portrayed or fun. It's a ROLEPLAY server, not a cops and robbers or whatever. We're here to portray a character and have fun, not to stack up on guns or get pixel points for who has the most cash, robberies or whatever. The problem is the unreasonable and unrealistic amount of crime and the portrayal of those crimes. As I have said before: You wanna mug someone? Catch them while they go jogging or while they walk their dog or something. Don't go jumping fences into back yard and don't ingore CCTV. 

Typing in all caps and underlining your statements doesn't make them true, it's 100% an IC issue man.

• Upvote 1

As a member of SD who is actually in charge of the northern half of LS, please don't add any more crime zones... I don't want to think about whether to report something, because it's against server rules every single time I witness a crime in a "well populated area".

Just get some more IC measures. Get G6, get property alarms, get vehicle alarms. Y'all are rich, so present yourself that way.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Wasloos said:

As a member of SD who is actually in charge of the northern half of LS, please don't add any more crime zones... I don't want to think about whether to report something, because it's against server rules every single time I witness a crime in a "well populated area".

Just get some more IC measures. Get G6, get property alarms, get vehicle alarms. Y'all are rich, so present yourself that way.

If the solution was that simple, we wouldn't be having this discussion. People have tried this to no avail

• Gore locked this topic