The Use Of VPN's In the In Character Section

Garras Up

13 minutes ago, El Ghetto Man said:

There's no VPN system ingame nor is there any way to rp buying them, so they're really just NPCing something for their own benefit 

If you applied this logic to everything then a lot of stuff would be powergaming. We don’t have people actually roleplaying as dock workers, yet that doesn’t mean we have to roleplay that our characters wouldn’t be able to buy any imported goods and that the ls dock is just abandoned.

18 hours ago, El Ghetto Man said:

I've got a question for the community... Why does literally everyone rp that they use a VPN to make IC comments in the 'in character' section that 99% of the time nothing is gonna come from anyway?

I find it senseless, to be honest. It seems powergame-ish to me, considering not everybody is gonna go out of their way to purchase a VPN (which usually costs a decent bit of money) just to make an IC comment on the internet that (lets be honest) nobody is gonna bother to trace or rp tracing anyway?

I don't know anyone that hides behind VPN's to make comments on news articles no matter how rude said comment is/could be viewed as. Not to mention that nobody in their right mind is gonna sit down for hours trying to track down some dude or girl who made a comment on a news article talking some shit.

Because of the practices of a particular 2014 law enforcement agency to track down comments and people who comment so it just became common practice to say you're using a VPN. This obviously started on another community. Not that it matters. If you actually look at who comments? It's all legal characters saying stupid shit.

You don't even need to say what the IP traces to. If someone does go to do funky business and search it, then they search it, and they ask you. Most people don't actually role-play a VPN (not that it's hard to just press Enable if you're using Opera as your browser but hey).

Edited by liq

Today’s topic is sponsored by NordVPN.

Jokes aside, VPNs aren’t as alien as they used to be, Opera is an OG. I think it started on IC topics because some lawyer got offended over an insult or shitpost and sued them or threatened to.

7 hours ago, rootless cosmopolitan said:

This thread is sponsored by NordVPN.

Edit: Somebody already made that joke, my bad. Who cares honestly, it's not like VPNs are hard to get in real life or something. You can even get a free VPN if you don't mind constant advertisements and the malware.

Yeah, this is factual.

People are mostly using VPN not because their characters actually use it, but because they are afraid it will backfire at them IG.

*this message has been sent from an unspecified laptop somewhere in Etiopia, after it bounced off a smartphone in Tokyo where it came from blah blah blah*

On 8/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, Glitch said:

The average person in real life has zero fucking clue what a VPN is but it seems 98% of characters in this server do. 

Majority of players here are tech savvy since we play games on PC, we most of the time try to deal with issues we encounter on PC on our own and fix shit.