ULSA - RP?

I know that @Sotario and several other players that RP in my clinic have always wished to eventually initiate University roleplay by teaching there, I know I'd love to teach there myself if such opportunity rises. I think that classes can be arranged, not daily of course but weekly perhaps, have students sign up and show up to class. It can be a good thing if it happens. 

The problem is that it's a game after all and people are here to play and enjoy after their real life classes, they don't want another class in a game. Some would do, but I honestly don't know if enough people would be interested to support such a huge platform. It will require a lot of coordination between the admin team (for supervision, for declaring this as a crime free area), the GOV (for certifications, especially if teaching classes that irl require a certification like medicine, nursing, engineering). A lot of work would be required to make this happen and I don't know if it'll be worth it, if at the end of the day all that students are gonna do is RP on the glass on campus.  

14 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

I think that would really depend on what the people RPing tutors would want to do?

I think people teaching courses based around "life skills" would be more valuable than a one to one copy of actual classes. Nobody wants to sit in an 1hr trig lecture, but some people might be interested in first aid, basic car maintenance, et cetera.

• Upvote 2

Should leave lectures optional, but university rp would be great for characters to know each other and rp social activities. Would there a way to make this possible? Provide acommodation for students rpers to hang out and meet?

certainly should be a thing, so far agreeing with most what people wrote here. there's so many role play possibilities in this for people that roleplay young adults (which is almost whole server population). this would also add some depth to characters, not mentioning what what was written in the main post AND it's a lovely dynamic for others to have their businesses trashed by student parties

I wrote my initial post to see how many like-minded people there were in the community with the desire to play characters going through or working at the University, so I'm very happy to see there seems to be interest.

Initially I'd hoped that people who want to RP their characters as being at ULSA being able to meet up and get to know each other with likeminded students / faculty. I'd hope that from there, the RP will blossom and people will form study groups, go out for parties, tutors arrange for experience days for their students etc.

My personal view is that the emphasis should be on players having fun. For example, I personally wouldn't want to be given an assignment that I actually have to go away and write - though if it's due the next day and someone drags Alyssa out all night to party, she'll be pleading and begging her tutor for an extension rather than RPing *handing in an A-grade assignment*. If tutors want to be straight and honest, that's great, if some want to be more corrupt in how they can be 'bought' for their A-grades then, I see no harm in that too. (This is the GTA world afterall!).

As for more formal areas of education, I really don't know what resources tutors / teachers currently use, so I'm happy to hear suggestions? @MrsHamster mentions she has a clinic, so maybe she could encourage her students to sign up for an experience day & due to the lack of IC classrooms, those who are interested could attend her clinic for IC experience and more formal RP? (This may also fit in with American players who typically get to play during the servers evening hours?).

Maybe like @Westen suggested, some basic life skills lessons could be done, or a physical instructor hold a class on the running track etc, or just a study group sitting down outside while the classrooms are being refurbished could also work.

@Lucie - I don't think that there is any 'hub' yet, though certainly in the daytime, the campus would be an ideal location.

2 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

@Lucie - I don't think that there is any 'hub' yet, though certainly in the daytime, the campus would be an ideal location.

A good Idea would be making an IC facebrowser group for ULSA students to organize meetings and parties or just chat, before the campus is available

I've thought about this before and I was briefly interested in the idea of managing a community college. Basically, I wanted to teach students the knowledge and skills they need to be introduced to the work force we have in gtaw. This could be vehicle mechanics for instance for whoever wants to be a mechanic, nursing for the aspiring nurses out there who wanna work at the clinics we have on the server, journalism for the journalists, law for the lawyers, psychology for the shrinks and maybe even forensic science for CSI. The list goes on, the possibilities are endless, and with more courses being taught, more jobs are created.