Realism of [Time & Space]

Gambler

Aside from aging up your character which can be coordinated among groups, everyday actions should generally not be subjected to any sort of slow-mo or fast forward

As far as travel is concerned, I don't think travelling upstate should be treated as a normal everyday thing because it's still 5x farther than anything else within Los Santos.

"Going upstate" should have some sort of reason behind it, else it's just like getting your character to randomly visit Chamberlain.

Edited by arrdef

I think people are forgetting they’re not roleplaying in the state of California but rather a fictional state of San Andreas in which Los Santos and Blaine County happen to be on a small island.

Time and Space should be perceived as it is, being on a 1:1 scale to its own universe. Inflating time or mileage for travel is just going to add more confusion when it comes to communicating with others. I don’t want to SMS people “be there in 45 mins” and them having to do math in order to know my actual ETA.

That’s my take on it at least.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

While we should strive to mimic real life as much as possible, I think people need to understand that not everything has to be full on realistic in a roleplay server.

Los Santos is not Los Angeles. San Andreas is not California. It's simply based on them, nothing else. That doesn't mean they're them, similar to how a Obey 9F resembles a Audi R8 but is not one, or a Carbonizzare a Aston Martin V12 or a Ferrari F12 but isn't any either. If you roleplay this, you're doing it wrong.

We roleplay in a fictional world. If it takes you 5 minutes to get from the city to the county, then so be it. If Sandy Shores is only 4 miles away from the city, then so be it too. Adapt your character to the world he/she is in and live under those circumstances.

Edited by Shaderz

We should stick with the official size, no need for any change. Los Santos and Blaine County are located in a very small island and you can reach any location within 10 minutes, end of the story. This is the official data, it will not deeper any roleplaying situation if we come up with imaginary sizes. This is how big the island we play on compared to real-life cities, we should play according to this fact

GTA-Map-Size-Comparisons.jpg

• Applaud 2

I think that's very extreme and completely impractical. Hammering that your opinions are "facts" don't give them any superiority.

For instance, a formation like Mount Chiliad the size of Central Park is just not possible.

The game map is the way it is because of performance limitations and gameplay considerations unrelated to roleplay; GTA5 wasn't made with roleplay in mind, we just sort of hacked this game together from GTA. So to me, your character should still consider Blaine County to be pretty far if you usually play in South Los Santos.

If the game area was actually as small as Manhattan IC, it wouldn't have two law enforcement agencies conducting patrols in it daily.

Edited by arrdef

Hey arrdef,

let me tell you - you open a can of worms, which you really do not wanna open. 
Easy - trucking companies. I own one in Sandy Shores and the usual contracts are in the city. So should my drivers drive 1MILE/per hour to make it realistic? Stop talking nonsense dude. IF we are gonna restrict people in that way, like an Admin said, that "If someone plays as a doctor in the city, it is not realistic to own property in Paleto, because gas costs, etcetera". Give us all a break! 
We all have fail rp-ing then - because we arrive in Paleto in 7 minutes, not 7 hours. 

If we start restricting people to get properties in this way, it is more than micro-managing, and this goes pretty  far over the board.

I never advocated for any sort of imposed restrictions, I'm simply stating how I play around time and space. I didn't decide to bar you from traveling around the map, I'm just saying that it should still be treated as a commute in your character's frame of mind, and not as a weird 2 minute highway trip.

Setting up a trucking yard outside a city, and then delivering goods in that city is something a lot of companies do, because it can be easier to do it that way (logistics, real estate, etc). A doctor working in a city center and then subjecting himself to a 1 hour commute just for the luxury of a big yard is also extremely common.

To add emphasis on the point I was trying to make: If San Andreas was as big as Manhattan, why even have such a large network of highways when normal roads would suffice? The scale of the map is obviously not intended to be taken in earnest.

All of it, to me, makes for more interesting roleplay. But it should indeed remain a "should", not a "must". I'm not opening a "can of worms" nor a pandora's box, and I'm especially not kicking a hornet's nest.

Edited by arrdef

Fuck all that san andreas is an island shit, i rp san andreas as a state connected to the mainland, it's pretty easy to ignore the game restrictions (Which imho shouldnt be taken IC lmfao it even says on the GTAwiki that other states are nearby and san andreas is merely an island because R* couldn't be fucked to make a RDR2 type map that restricts travel. There's not a single island in the world that can support a city with Los Santos' infrastructure, let alone the population of the city. It just doesn't make sense at all, whether or not we're in a 'fictional world'.

Moving on tho, I believe that Sandy Shores and Los Santos' distance is up to the player to roleplay around and interpret. Personally when I travel to the countryside, I roleplay that I traveled a tiny bit longer than I did in reality, although I don't rp Sandy being 100 miles away from the city. More like a 20-25 minute drive from the city.

Edited by El Ghetto Man
  • Upvote 1

It's a gray zone really. In my mind, our game map is just Southern San Andreas (Southern California, which is 56,505 mi²), not the whole state, and Los Santos is a sprawling metropolis that would be the size of LA. This is going a bit off-topic but the whole "1 city on an island off the west coast" thing has no logic behind it and is not realistic. The Palomino Highlands on the eastern part of the map exists to give off the feeling that more lays beyond than just ocean.

Being in the Sheriff's Department, I have to constantly drive between Sandy Shores and the city. It's not really something I put much thought into. I don't necessarily roleplay a 3-hour commute every time I go from my apartment in LS to Sandy Shores, or a 4-hour drive when I respond to a 911 call in Grapeseed from Mirror Park. While I don't necessarily roleplay the drives being long every time I do it, our game world should be pictured as bigger than just 8 miles.

Just don't put too much thought into it and use suspension of disbelief. It's similar to the idea of aging up a couple of years after a few months in PD/SD. It's not something that'll have a perfect answer. 

• Upvote 3
13 hours ago, Kestalas said:

yMkNjav.png

Lol ?

Time is time, distance is distance. I can spend 15 minutes driving west from my house IRL and find myself out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes that's the landscape. There's no reason to make it some weird time warp or act like its further than it is represented in the game lol.

just hitting on potential shit people would argue with me about, used to it happening LOL

• Cara locked this topic