RL Music Used for IC Purposes?

Vanity

Hey! A couple of summers ago, the music industry, in Los Santos, was extremely active. Most were using music that they made OOC for their characters, but some were using music from actual artists, and it seemed like those who weren't using their own music were taken less seriously than those that were. Some people who are not "musically gifted," but they want to portray their charrie as a rapper/singer are put at a huge disadvantage, due to the majority of players not willing to look past the OOC part of it. This brings me to a couple of questions or "discussion points" that I have:

• How do you feel about IC personas using OOC artists as their "voice"? ((with credit given, obv))
  • Does ostracizing the people who use other artists' music break the rules and/or immersion?  
  • How do you feel about the music industry in L.S, as a whole?

If you would like me to clear up anything I've said, just let me know. ❤️ 

if you want to rp being a musician make something yourself to put forward if you aren't gifted it shouldn't matter, not everyone's gonna be some huge artist.

would like to see more of the music industry though, need people in vinewood trying to sell mixtapes.

I really dislike RP that involves taking others music. If you want to RP a musician but can't play an instrument or sing in tune - questions will always be raised around people knowing the process of recording a song, releasing it etc.

If you make music, whether good or bad, then at least you're bringing something unique - you're showing that your character is capable of putting something creative together and that's what we should aim for. 

Stealing content, regardless of the circumstances (to RP a musician), isn't cool and we as a server shouldn't support it as it's extremely immersion breaking.

It's like role-playing a video editor and having no understanding of making a video - so you just download PewDiePie's video and claim it as your own - it sucks and there should be a rule that stops people trying to claim other people's content as their characters entire role-play.

A line has to be drawn somewhere, if someone can steal a song and claim it as their own, can they claim a video? a photograph? a poem? 

Edited by ashlyii
  • Upvote 4

personally doesn't matter to me, if somebody wants to use a crip rapper as a voiceclaim for their character that's a rapper & a crip, i personally see nothing wrong with it. Not everyone has musical talent, and I know barely anybody can accurately pull off their character's 'accent' in real life. can you imagine somebody from Serbia or the UK on a beat trying to rap like he's from the slums of South Central LS? It wouldn't make sense whatsoever.

I've had the same issue with the movie industry. I'm a director irl and i can do it here as well. To be fair tho', that would be too much effort for almost no reckognition. Same applies on music. If you think you can make good music IRL to only make your char a successfull, think again if it would be better to just do it for irl success xD.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, arkan said:

if you aren't gifted it shouldn't matter

If we’re being realistic, though, nobody’s going to take your char seriously, if the music is horrible. 

11 hours ago, ashlyii said:

questions will always be raised around people knowing the process of recording a song, releasing it etc

I agree with most of what you said, but you can know the process of creating/recording music, without actually doing it. I don’t understand how it breaks immersion, though. If everything is strictly IC, how would a IC musician be breaking immersion? 

I’m speaking for music solely, but if you state that it’s for RP purposes only, and that you’re not the creator of the music—aka giving credit—is it really “stealing”?

1 hour ago, El Ghetto Man said:

Not everyone has musical talent, and I know barely anybody can accurately pull off their character's 'accent' in real life

1 hour ago, Gambler said:

If you think you can make good music IRL to only make your char a successfull, think again if it would be better to just do it for rl success

My points exactly. Since this is an role play server, and you could basically/realistically rp anything you want your character to be, even if your OOC self isn’t able to do it, why is it “frowned upon” to RP a musician when you aren’t really one yourself?

24 minutes ago, Vanity said:

If we’re being realistic, though, nobody’s going to take your char seriously, if the music is horrible. 

I agree with most of what you said, but you can know the process of creating/recording music, without actually doing it. I don’t understand how it breaks immersion, though. If everything is strictly IC, how would a IC musician be breaking immersion? 

I’m speaking for music solely, but if you state that it’s for RP purposes only, and that you’re not the creator of the music—aka giving credit—is it really “stealing”?

My points exactly. Since this is an role play server, and you could basically/realistically rp anything you want your character to be, even if your OOC self isn’t able to do it, why is it “frowned upon” to RP a musician when you aren’t really one yourself?

If you're using a famous artists music and claiming it as your own, it's immersion breaking.

Certain limitations need to be in place and people need to be stopped from using others content to try and flex their character. As I said, where do we draw the line if we allow people to use others creations?

"Oh I'm a Vinewood director, here's my film the Shawshank Redemption that I directed"  - that's no different to taking a song you like and claiming it as your own. 

The tools are out there to create your own content and of you're adamant on playing a character that has a particular talent then that talent should come from you, not someone else. 

You said it yourself it's a roleplay server, the possibilities are endless. But choosing to be a musician and using someone else's as your own is super lame. One of my characters is a videographer - does that give me reason to take someone else's video because it's "roleplay"? No, I spent hours making my videos for my own gain ICly and OOCly. 

Edited by ashlyii
32 minutes ago, Gambler said:

just go with soundcloud artists or not mainstream artists. One of those people who are not heard by the mass.

12 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

"Oh I'm a Vinewood director, here's my film the Shawshank Redemption that I directed"

Yeah, when referring to music, you obviously wouldn't use a well-known musician like Beyonce or Bruno Mars. It would have to be somebody that most people haven't heard of or are currently "unknown". 

15 minutes ago, ashlyii said:

One of my characters is a videographer - does that give me reason to take someone else's video because it's "roleplay"? No, I spent hours making my videos for my own gain ICly and OOCly. 

I'm speaking solely about musicians/music because it gives you a chance to be creative and "personalize" it, like music videos, art, etc, and videography is a simple cut and paste. Honestly, I don't see how it's immersion-breaking if you give credit and state that it's for RP purposes only and come up with everything else like stated before. I would understand if somebody is using the same music, name, music video, art, and no credit given--that would obviously be breaking immersion, but if they're coming up with literally everything else, and it's good, to say it's "super lame" is sort of dramatic.