Signal Jammers and what their Balance will look like

TeeHazmat

The first thing I did when I noticed the signal jammer and removing license plates in the changelog was head to the forum, and look for this thread.

Why even have a monthly house alarm fee when someone can just jam the signal for 10 minutes? In reality if a house alarm is unreachable from a center, they'd send a notification out to law enforcement.

Law enforcement spends quite a lot of their time responding to tripped alarms.

I also don't like the message that the new torching system sends to on-duty emergency personnel.

"We received a call about a Annis Elegy Retro being set on fire! Units are required to respond, sending the location."

- It doesn't actually contain a location in the message.

- A grammar mistake.

- "Units are required to respond", lmao if an automated message tells me I'm "required to respond" I'm absolutely going to ignore it.

I also think that if you torch a car with gasoline that it should add a message to your /ex that you smell like gasoline for the next 30 minutes.

• Upvote 1

As someone who runs a security company I don't know how I'm expected to realistically interact with clients who start complaining our state of the art advertised alarm system failed to go off when the signal was tampered with since that's legitimately how home security systems are handled. I'm being forced to roleplay unrealistic shit for absolutely no reason other than to give some people a tool which is the LITERAL definition of powergaming.

Hardcore roleplay server btw?

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1

10 minutes is way too much. Especially when it’s indiscriminate of the alarm level. Imagine spending 20 grand on an alarm for it to be essentially useless. I think it should go down by 2 to 3 minutes as the alarm levels go up.

The jammers will also absolutely kill security factions like G6. Who will pay them when they know there is a jammer going around that will absolutely make them useless? 

People will also start /vp’ing their cars as soon as they’re done using them. 

If there is absolutely no way the devs will remove it, at least add a method of prevention for legal (civilian) roleplayers. None of us want the hassle of being out of a vehicle for 6 hours if chopper and having to walk or taxi to the impound. Or having no safe(ish) place to hide our valuables.

Edited by Miami
1 minute ago, Miami said:

10 minutes is way too much. Especially when it’s indiscriminate of the alarm level. Imagine spending 20 grand on an alarm for it to be essentially useless. I think it should go down by 2 to 3 minutes as the alarm levels go up.

The jammers will also absolutely kill security factions like G6. Who will pay them when they know there is a jammer going around that will absolutely make them useless? 

People will also start /vp’ing their cars as soon as they’re done using them. 

If there is absolutely no way the devs will remove it, at least add a method of prevention for legal (civilian) roleplayers. None of us want the hassle of being out of a vehicle for 6 hours if chopper and having to walk or taxi to the impound. Or having no safe(ish) place to hide our valuables.

2-3 minutes is still too much, ask anyone in a security faction how often they respond to home alarms and how the entire house has already been looted within 2 minute response times. I've had instances where even vaults were broken into within a two minute time span. We should never introduce powergamed tools into our world and completely destroy the balance of things. 

It's unrealistic, it makes no sense, its a fairy tale.

And the fact this update didn't come with a simultaneous update to allow us to store items/objects/valuables other than money at banks for instance is a clear testament that some of us are just seen as walking piggy banks. 

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Cartoonhead said:

You know this is a roleplay server right? You need to give people time to roleplay their actions.

I simply paste the library of pre-written RP on my word document in game, optimizing the actions of prying off.a door with a crowbar, rushing downstairs and using an advanced lockpick with no expertise in lockpicking safes to loclpick the safe.

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

2-3 minutes is still too much, ask anyone in a security faction how often they respond to home alarms and how the entire house has already been looted within 2 minute response times. I've had instances where even vaults were broken into within a two minute time span. We should never introduce powergamed tools into our world and completely destroy the balance of things. 

It's unrealistic, it makes no sense, its a fairy tale.

And the fact this update didn't come with a simultaneous update to allow us to store items/objects/valuables other than money at banks for instance is a clear testament that some of us are just seen as walking piggy banks. 

100% I agree with you. I think maybe a fair compromise would be for the highest echelon alarm to be disabled for half the duration amount it would take to pick the second to highest echelon lock level. 

That way you absolutely have to invest in a good lock as well. 

Don’t disable the audible alarm noise. 

And give G6 and/or the police a notification whenever jamming signals are detected (a jammer is used) with the general location or neighborhood name. That way they have to patrol the area as well. 

• Applaud 1
6 minutes ago, Cartoonhead said:

You know this is a roleplay server right? You need to give people time to roleplay their actions.

That comment was obviously aimed toward the fact the tool in itself is a powergame tool as it wouldn't work in real life without immediately triggering an alarm, hence why I said 2-3 minutes is already too much. But whatever dude, lol.

Another idea to balance things (for cars) would be to add one of those steering wheel lock bars. 

That way thieves can look inside and /vex, and if there’s one, they can either try to pick it after picking the car (ergo double the time to pick and more chance for the alarm to start) or they can move to a different car. 

Car owners will have to /putsteeringwheellock or /psw and do a /me that’s at least 80 characters long for it to get on. The opposite to remove it as well. That way at least the extra security adds some inconvenience to make it fair on the illegal players. 

And characters would have to buy one from a hardware store. That way people with multiple cars need to spend more as well. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic