The new leasing system and its potential issues

1 hour ago, $$ said:

I don't see player owned dealerships being impacted by the new leasing system.

If these leases are reasonably priced, then player owned dealerships will definitely be affected. Why buy a second hand Torrence for 50k if you can lease it for a month for $10k or less? For a number of players, they won't expect to have the car for that long anyway. Especially for cheaper cars, this will impact used dealerships. Leasing essentially becomes long term renting and it will be popular because it requires less interactions with other players.

In real life, you're usually (as far as I am aware) on the hook for the entire value of the car when you lease something, or pay in installments. Its a long term commitment. Short term leases in real life are very expensive, for obvious reasons, new cars lose their value very quickly. 

3 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

If these leases are reasonably priced, then player owned dealerships will definitely be affected. Why buy a second hand Torrence for 50k if you can lease it for a month for $10k or less? For a number of players, they won't expect to have the car for that long anyway. Especially for cheaper cars, this will impact used dealerships. Leasing essentially becomes long term renting and it will be popular because it requires less interactions with other players.

In real life, you're usually (as far as I am aware) on the hook for the entire value of the car when you lease something, or pay in installments. Its a long term commitment. Short term leases in real life are very expensive, for obvious reasons, new cars lose their value very quickly. 

From the sound of it, according to @$$'s post, leases can't be modified or tuned. 

Leaving your car stock in GTA is notoriously bad. I don't think this'll be that big of a deal. Torrences without upgraded parts aren't half as good.

1 minute ago, mj2002 said:

Lets say someone is going to buy a Torrence, their character is ready to pay 50,000 dollars for a brand new one. Then they find they can lease it in monthly installments, which is all great. However, they were ready to drop fifty grand on a brand new car, then LSAG opens up and they head over there and find a Torrence with a couple hundred miles on it, a nice paint job, some nice rims and performance security enhancements. Rather than lease and then pay for mods on top, the one in the dealership may seem more preferable. It's just personal preference at this point, prior to the leasing in-game being added, the player always had the option to lease the vehicle via request when they open up every so often. 

If the player is leasing a vehicle because it requires less interaction then that's on them. The majority of the server are still going to be seeking secondhand cars, whether it's because of their customization, cheaper price, better value for money etc. 

1 minute ago, Miami said:

From the sound of it, according to @$$'s post, leases can't be modified or tuned. 

Leaving your car stock in GTA is notoriously bad. I don't think this'll be that big of a deal. Torrences without upgraded parts aren't half as good.

Apologies for the confusion, I was just referring to the benefits of buying a secondhand car as opposed to a brand new one. I'm not sure if leased vehicles will be restricted in terms of tuning and modifying. I currently have a special lease vehicle in-game and that can be modified and tuned, so I'd assume it would remain the same for the new leasing system vehicles too. 

8 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

I do agree somehow. Most people don't own a car for more than 5 months anyway. However, I also don't think player owned dealerships will be affected much.

When considering the choice between leasing or buying a vehicle, it's important to examine the financial aspects. Let's take the example you mentioned of leasing a car for $10,000 a month over a period of 5 months, resulting in a total expenditure of $50,000. Once the lease ends, the car is returned, and the money spent on leasing is essentially gone.

On the other hand, purchasing a car allows you to invest that same amount of money into an asset you actually own. When the time comes to sell the vehicle, you have the opportunity to recoup a significant portion of your investment. Unlike leasing, where the money is not recoverable, owning a car provides the potential for a substantial return on investment when you decide to sell.

Edited by dionkoffie
12 minutes ago, $$ said:

Apologies for the confusion, I was just referring to the benefits of buying a secondhand car as opposed to a brand new one. I'm not sure if leased vehicles will be restricted in terms of tuning and modifying. I currently have a special lease vehicle in-game and that can be modified and tuned, so I'd assume it would remain the same for the new leasing system vehicles too. 

Ahh, understood. You still make a good point. You're leasing a vehicle and paying a monthly fee (that you will never get back) for a stock vehicle that you then have to spend over 50 grand to tune, and you can't even sell it afterwards.

At least buying a second hand vehicle, you can hope to make some of your money back afterwards.

Edited by Miami
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, $$ said:

This just makes it easier to obtain a leased vehicle, prior to this being implemented you'd have to do a lease request via the UCP for "regular vehicles". This takes up a lot of time and resources from PM and also the player has to wait a couple of weeks before they can get their leased vehicle which otherwise could be purchased for full price in-game. Now with this being implemented, PM only have to deal with "special vehicle" requests and will also have a lot more time to handle other property/business/lease requests. 

It makes things a lot more affordable for players too. The age and IC legal concerns are already considered I believe via the PM discord; "Legal side has been discussed with appropriate parties and developers to ensure there's a fair split down the middle & Illegal side has been discussed, and was agreed you need to be 18 year old & a license holder (driving license) to lease a vehicle from the dealership."

Now this increases competitiveness for player owned dealerships in my opinion. They sell used cars with enhancements, mods, different looks that aren't obtainable via lease. Ultimately, it's a lot cheaper to buy it second hand too, I don't see player owned dealerships being impacted by the new leasing system. There are a lot more benefits than downsides in my opinion. 

Long as regular vehicles stay in that lease pool ig I see no issue, but special ones need to remain on the UCP.

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

These leases will definitely affect second hand dealerships ran by players. But we can not judge right now before PM made the adjustments, it might be that Leasing will be similar to IRL where once the full sum of the vehicle was paid out you no longer need to pay or something. I just hope it will be like that.

1 hour ago, dionkoffie said:

When considering the choice between leasing or buying a vehicle, it's important to examine the financial aspects. Let's take the example you mentioned of leasing a car for $10,000 a month over a period of 5 months, resulting in a total expenditure of $50,000. Once the lease ends, the car is returned, and the money spent on leasing is essentially gone.

On the other hand, purchasing a car allows you to invest that same amount of money into an asset you actually own. When the time comes to sell the vehicle, you have the opportunity to recoup a significant portion of your investment. Unlike leasing, where the money is not recoverable, owning a car provides the potential for a substantial return on investment when you decide to sell.

Five months is a lot of time for car ownership in GTAW. I'm running on the assumption that new characters who are still getting paid out $5000 are going to lease a vehicle for $5000 - $25000 (for one month) the moment they're able to do this. Something that is obtainable instantly is always more attractive. Once the lease is up, they'll move onto the next car. This is why it will impact second hand dealerships, especially the low end vehicle market which is already under pressure from airport leases. 

The details are still not available, so it is too early to draw solid conclusions, but I don't see a path where this doesn't affect second hand dealerships. I don't run one any more, so it's not immediately my concern, but to say that there will be no effects is a little short sighted.

• Thanks 1

A lot of players are not even playing 3 months on GTAW, it is a very long time ICly.

We plan for now to have the lease be around 20% of the vehicle price per month if the vehicle is < 100k, then it would be 25% between 100/150k, and 35% if the car is > 150k. >300k cars won't be leasable.

The goal is to allow players to switch cars more easily around and access them more easily too, but if you play 3 months ingame with a car you should consider paying it fully.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1