Large Overhaul of the Visibility of Threads on LSPD Website (METAGAME AHOY!)

Stolen firearm reports as well as firearms transfers should be on the FLD website, but I imagine it takes some time to code, especially because afaik Skent is also a web developer for his real life job so he's admittedly busy  - they delay is perfectly fine in any case.

As for the rest, like criminal record requests, crime reports and tint exemptions - I imagine the idea of establishing forum accounts accessible for members of the divisions responsible for each could be explored, so correspondence between the requester and the handling member is still tracked while also keeping the IC details private thus preventing it from being metagamed. 

Yeah, it'd take some time to code. I can understand that. I'm an amateur web dev myself. However, something like this would be amazing to have and would make things a lot nicer for people. I know guys who got robbed and didn't even bother reporting it because they keep like 15 guns in their house and don't want to list the address publicly.

On 7/6/2023 at 12:07 AM, Mitch said:

In the coming week(s) I plan on testing and implementing a filter so only applicants can view their own application for the FD forums, thanks for the heads up 

@Parade

This wasn't a huge challenge actually, this is going live in 24 hours, only people that can view applications is themselves and/or authorised officials (Training and Recruitment, FD Captains and above)

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2
On 4/27/2023 at 8:12 PM, Neszy said:

Totally agree, disclaimers are not going to prevent people from utilising this information if they want to and it's far too easy to lie about this stuff ("I've been following them for ages!") or feign ignorance, claiming random chance led you to a place of residence.

Additional GTAW sites with a mass of public-facing information:

• gov.gta.world - business registrations, job applications
  • sagov.gta.world - OLMS processed applications
  • lspd.gta.world - everything in the front desk (press passes, commendations and complaints, ride along requests...), employment/transfer applications
  • lssd.gta.world - employment applications
  • phmc.gta.world - appointments, medical record requests

... and that's just to name a few. At a glance, LSFD, JSA, SAAA and DMEC forums also contain a wealth of information such as names, address, phone numbers, etc. In short, if you've posted anything on any of these core websites - websites that many players will be required to divulge information on at some point - you cannot, with certainty, rule out that your information won't be metagamed from there. Yes, the same could be said for a lot of things (admin-only information, MDC...) but that stuff has checks, balances, and logs. This doesn't.

An alternative solution here would simply be an opt-in "put my application in a private forum" type thing, which would be more labour in the long-run but works as a quick and easy fix. Mass forum permission changes, on the other hand, are annoying but aren't particularly difficult.

Actually came here to specifically mention the GOV website, wasn't aware of the others being this bad too.

Fully support the privitisation of personal information, it doesn't make sense it'd be visible and it certainly won't stop metagaming to just have a disclaimer.

• Upvote 1

I agree, having that amount of information out there is asking for trouble with no way to prove any wrong doing. Having it on the FLD panel seems like a great idea if that were possible. If that's not possible then restricting people from seeing those topics would be fine too. +1

12 hours ago, Frakkennewguy said:

Actually came here to specifically mention the GOV website, wasn't aware of the others being this bad too.

Fully support the privitisation of personal information, it doesn't make sense it'd be visible and it certainly won't stop metagaming to just have a disclaimer.

Imagine privatization of data, that'd be a tremendous disaster. Remember the privatization of UK railways? Absolutely terrible, prices skyrocketed, service was and still is a mess, and punctuality plummeted.

What would however be very useful is proper access control on posts on the forums, based on Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) and a 'need to know'.

• Upvote 1