Robbery rule.

Just forbid criminals from taking guns and you won't see anymore useless, unjustified and rushed robberies on the server.

90% (if not all) robberies are made for guns. Half of the times I've been robbed, once they checked my waist and saw no gun they either ran away that very moment or they did a poor /me runs his pockets then ran away.

Robberies aren't for the sake of RP anymore, but a quick way for criminal RP'ers to grind money or to have an extra gun in case they get PK'ed.

• Upvote 1

The main issue I see with the rules is, opinions on details aside, that they use a lot of words only to still leave open necessary definitions relevant for streamlined rule abiding (and enforcing).

The best example is the reference to "Planned Robberies" in opposition to "Petty Muggings":

There is absolutely nothing outlining what sort of action classifies as one and what as the other (and if there is anything outside of the scope petty-planned that should be considered).

The consequences can be seen in reports on robberies: Quite frequently, one party will believe a rule was broken, whereas the other acted in good confidence, as rules do somewhat prohibit certain stuff- say, use of a vehicle-, but do allow it under circumstances which are not defined.

On top of this and adding to player frustration is that the current rules, to spot and report eventual breaks (or see something as valid just the same), I need more insight than I will often have as average player.

Say for example, you found out ic where my char hides her gold, so you decide to kidnap her to make her surrender it. You follow her around for weeks, check out her security measures, where she goes when etc. until you eventually decide to strike- in other words, a textbook example of a "planned" robbery.

However, from my perspective- unless I happen to catch track of your plan upfront somehow- it will look like you just drove up and forced her in a car to drive her to some place to loot that.

Unless again you was to reveal it to me- which no reasonable criminal would-, there's no way for me to detect you did upfront preparations beyond driving up and pulling guns.

Take in account further this theoretic example obviously includes a lot of planning, as well as a dedicated target- as can be seen in the report section, due to the lacking definitions of what's "planned" people can be much more liberal with what they for themselves define as such.

The problem here lays less with the respective players' mindset but much rather with the rules allowing much leeway to define the "plan" that warrants usage of a vehicle, and consequently you can find many differing explanations in reports, ranging from in fact detailed plans like my example above down to "We planned to rob somebody in that area, so we took a car".

Staff verdicts on what's right or wrong differ, but the rules do not define it so all too often players are left with a sour taste - regardless if they feel like they were robbed the wrong way, and that's okay, or if they think they did all needed planning but were told it's not enough to use a car.

• Upvote 1
On 6/26/2023 at 10:24 AM, Andrew Brandenburg said:

90% (if not all) robberies are made for guns. Half of the times I've been robbed, once they checked my waist and saw no gun they either ran away that very moment or they did a poor /me runs his pockets then ran away.

yeah lets punish all criminal rpers and add more robbery rules cuz some davis M's cant rp properly. just report them and move on my guy

• Upvote 2

The robbing with car rule is stupid, no one is going to perform a robbery in their own neighborhood where they can get easily noticed and identified. If you're in Davis you're expected to walk all the way to where you're going to rob someone (Hawick, Little Seoul, Vespucci). That in itself is unrealistic and borderline power gaming. 

With that being said it's evident that robbery roleplay usually stems from people asset chasing guns. A fair in-between would make it so unofficial factions with an in-game script can rob using vehicles. This circumvents a lot of those low-quality situations as faction roleplayers usually tend to be more serious. If you're going to make people submit a whole application just to roleplay, why not give them leeway in situations like this? 

13 hours ago, gang enthusiast said:

The robbing with car rule is stupid, no one is going to perform a robbery in their own neighborhood where they can get easily noticed and identified. If you're in Davis you're expected to walk all the way to where you're going to rob someone (Hawick, Little Seoul, Vespucci). That in itself is unrealistic and borderline power gaming. 

With that being said it's evident that robbery roleplay usually stems from people asset chasing guns. A fair in-between would make it so unofficial factions with an in-game script can rob using vehicles. This circumvents a lot of those low-quality situations as faction roleplayers usually tend to be more serious. If you're going to make people submit a whole application just to roleplay, why not give them leeway in situations like this? 

Yet that's exactly what players did CONSTANTLY before the car rule was implemented, it got so bad to the point where robbers were robbing other robbers because nobody would go outside knowing they'd be rolled up on. Players simply can't be trusted to be reasonable, which is why the rule is in place.

• Upvote 2