License plate reader that isn't ALPR

Detailed Description

As it stands, you can't see a car's license plate on a traffic stop as an LEO unless you:

1. /cam and risk dying to DM

2. leave the car and /vplate near the driver's side door and break immersion

3. use the front hood cam and struggle with your low graphics 

4. /alpr and risk being jailed/faction kicked

If I have /alpr on to see license plates and forget to turn it off, I can be potentially admin jailed and faction kicked for powergame. 

While I think that rule is absolutely ridiculous and I highly doubt that there are more instances of it being abused than I can count on one hand, I'm not going to debate the rule because there's  a lot of miscommunication in the debate.

Additionally, it's impossible for me to type mid-chase. Especially driving a slow ass SAPR car against a decked out fully modified Buffalo. While typing, I get every possible combination of those four letters "aplr", "arpl", "alrp", "parl", until the suspect gets away.

Please give LEO RPers a way to pick up vehicle plates that their dashcam would realistically see.

In SAMP, on the servers I played on, I didn't have this issue, because we could do /dl

SA-MP 0.3.DL file - San Andreas: Multiplayer mod for Grand Theft Auto: San  Andreas - Mod DB

(Image from Google. I didn't play on this server)

Those numbers "231", when run in the MDC, would return the plate. And then you're just trusted to realistically portray the dashcam footage. Much better.

Relevant Commands/Items

/platereader

twtL4Zj.png

That's it. 

That's all the information you'll get.

This will pop up on the side of your screen, just like the current /alpr.

How will it benefit the server?

This will literally solve the debate and constant miscommunication I see regarding this rule and give LEOs NOT EVEN an advantage, but something they ALREADY SHOULD HAVE from the get-go. If we can't be trusted not to MG the owner, insurance status, and flags of a car, then give us a feature /without/ that information for fair balance.

Thank you.

image.png

Edited by Soyuz
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

It's kinda stupid having to /camera to read plates and then get blasted by some South Central player in Chiliad while squinting at a license plate with "Lol I just got away from cops, I have a warrant" When all I was going to do was give them a warning to slow down to forty five.

Takes me two minutes to differentiate 0O on license plates. Same with I and L, D And Q.

• I shouldn't have to be threatened by faction command for powergaming, and removal because I can't see things on my screen, and I need to utilize something to see it. That should absolutely not be a thing. The current state of SAPR requires us to regularly run plates. I do not have the mental capacity in multitasking to remember, "Oh I left /alpr on I better turn it off haha hehe hoho, don't faction ban me." There shouldn't be fear of something, especially when we have access to it.

• Remove it entirely from our, or figure out a solution that we can utilize without being expected to remember something, without the threat of being faction removed.

If the concern is over "ALSKDFJASLDKF SPERG HAHAHA EXPIRED INSURANCE PULL HIM OVER!!!!!!! TICKET!!!!!!!!! ROBO COP!!!!!!" Is a thing, I find that hard to believe. Majority of the people in our faction do not even ticket, pull over, or bring up during a t-stop about expired insurance. And if it is, we tell them to renew their insurance. Insurance in it's self is a stupid mechanic/requirement with ZERO purpose outside of law enforcement finding an excuse for petty interaction.

Edited by Poetic
  • Upvote 4
11 minutes ago, Poetic said:

I shouldn't have to be threatened by faction command for powergaming, and removal because I can't see things on my screen, and I need to utilize something to see it. That should absolutely not be a thing. The current state of SAPR requires us to regularly run plates. I do not have the mental capacity in multitasking to remember, "Oh I left /alpr on I better turn it off haha hehe hoho, don't faction ban me." There shouldn't be fear of something, especially when we have access to it.

Very good point

Support.

Before anyone tries to say that "Its not that hard to read plates even with normal graphics", the following picture is what it looks like with everything at ultra settings except for the textures, which is set to normal. With the cruiser parked at the "normal" distance behind the vehicle being stopped.

If you can read the plate here without zooming in, you're a God.

BKAm0Ls.png

Very much agree! I found it very painful when I first joined because I thought /alpr was strictly not allowed and instead tried to read the plates through the FPS camera. Thing is, doing that on a Scout gives you absolutely no opportunity to read jack shit as you’re too high from the ground, and if you drive back your low graphics won’t let you read the plate and while you’re squinting at the plate, suspect’s either already left you in the dust, or shot you dead. Or laughing at himself that you’re taking so long to write your /r of the traffic stop. The command’s very useful and doesn’t allow us to metagame what’s on the ALPR! Nice yes? We’re always accused of having oh so many advantages, but here we are asking to have something nerfed/removed for us! So cool. 

Supported. I'm one of those people who needs the alpr just so I can see the number plate when I'd realistically be able to see it.

Even if you bring in a simple version of the ALPR that vehicles without the real one can't use. It only provides you the number once you're behind them close enough.

Edited by Allantrist