12 Hour Clock Option

CakeFriend

I don't care either way but if you can't figure out how to tell time....Jesus.

That should be one of the things we should put on the server application. How can we expect someone to roleplay a complicated, complex, and believable character if they don't even know how to tell time?

It doesn't even require math. It's just memorization. It's about as mentally straining as memorizing twelve words in a different language.

Support, I guess. I didn't even notice that the clock was twenty-four hours, but fuck it. If it's really messing people up, change it.

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 1

Americans don't use 24 hour clock at all. I hate that they don't, I also hate that they use freedom units....

HOWEVER, we are roleplaying in America and as such 24 hour time would be pretty much non existent in day to day civilian life. It irks me a little bit when characters who are American reference the temperature in celsius and not fahrenheit (whilst speaking in British slang). 

I hate AM/PM but +1 for immersion reasons only. 

Edited by Late
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, NickyW said:

I don't care either way but if you can't figure out how to tell time....Jesus.

That should be one of the things we should put on the server application. How can we expect someone to roleplay a complicated, complex, and believable character if they don't even know how to tell time?

It doesn't even require math. It's just memorization. It's about as mentally straining as memorizing twelve words in a different language.

Support, I guess. I didn't even notice that the clock was twenty-four hours, but fuck it. If it's really messing people up, change it.

Thank God you’re not in charge of the apps on this server lmfao

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Soyuz said:

Thank God you’re not in charge of the apps on this server lmfao

Yeah, no kidding. Imagine how much the playerbase would drop if you only let intelligent, good roleplayers in. It would be catastrophic for donation numbers and player-counts.

Reading a twenty-four hour clock is not rocket science. It's right there with 'knowing how to tie your shoes' and 'being able to read' in terms of intelligence litmus tests.

P.S I'm an American who apparently "never uses a 24 hour clock" (per @Late). If I can do it, so can you.

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
8 minutes ago, NickyW said:

Yeah, no kidding. Imagine how much the playerbase would drop if you only let intelligent, good roleplayers in. It would be catastrophic for donation numbers and player-counts.

Reading a twenty-four hour clock is not rocket science. It's right there with 'knowing how to tie your shoes' and 'being able to read' in terms of intelligence litmus tests.

P.S I'm an American who apparently "never uses a 24 hour clock" (per @Late). If I can do it, so can you.

Personally don't believe it relies on intelligence, and would instead be nice to have it as an option. Similar to light and dark mode.

Just add the option for both, everbody happy. If you don't want to use the 24 hour clock, then switch to the 12 hour option. If you don't want to use the 12 hour clock, then stick with the default 24 hour clock option. It doesn't have a huge impact on the server so just add it and let people be happy.

• Upvote 7
  • 1 month later...

So as of late, I've noticed a lot of people saying "Let's link up at 9pm" or "It's going down tomorrow at 10am". Currently, as we all know, the server shows time in a 24 hour format. I know I speak for myself and quite a few others that I've discussed this with, but it can get confusing when trying to convert server time to a 12 hour clock time. So the suggestion is to let people toggle the server time to show it in either a 24 hour or 12 hour format.

All we'd need is a simple command such as /setclock 12 or /setclock 24 to change the way /time shows. The result of using /setclock 12 would show Current Time: DD/MMM/YYYY - 9:00:00(am/pm) rather than Current Time: DD/MMM/YYYY - 21:00:00.

Edited by Fergie

Sure sounds like a good idea, before those who turn around and go 'well learn how to convert!!' quite a few people struggle with numbers in general, and imo we need to cater for everyone. We have visual aids in place to help those who struggle seeing things, so we may as well have things to make lives easier in other places.

+1

• Upvote 1