Some sort of ballistic shield

Detailed Description

Add a ballistic shield to the server. Pretty much all law enforcement have access to some sort of shield. Whether it be tactical or patrol units, there's widespread use.

Relevant Commands/Items

This could be added with an anim, I believe. (correct me if I'm wrong). Simply add an object into the game, and make a custom anim. There could be multiple, such as ones where you can point a handgun forward and use it, or just stand with it.

How will it benefit the server?

Would make suspect apprehension more immersive with a shield moving up, tactical scenes, etc. There's lots of use and I think a lot of players would enjoy it.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

It rarely happens in real life and if the shield actually blocks fire, it's a stupid advantage to give law enforcement because you know they'd pull it out every time they have an active shooter.

They DO exist and are used occasionally, but you won't see them in 90 percent of shooting callouts.

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, NickyW said:

It rarely happens in real life and if the shield actually blocks fire, it's a stupid advantage to give law enforcement because you know they'd pull it out every time they have an active shooter.

They DO exist and are used occasionally, but you won't see them in 90 percent of shooting callouts.

Hey man I'm not sure where you got that info from but they're pretty widespread. They're used in most tactical teams extensively, they even use big rolling ones. They're also commonly used when approaching suspects who are armed or clearing buildings.

Heres some videos!

Spoiler

On top of that, the LAPD (which we replicate on the server) uses them a lot. Here's the manual for it:

https://lapdonlinestrgeacc.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/lapdonlinemedia/2021/09/EV09_S12_LD23_Ballistic_Shield_Tactics_and_Techniques.pdf

This is taught DIRECTLY at the academy, so all officers are certified in them.

From a 2021 UOF review it states that they're issued to all patrol that are certified, which you get at the academy:

Ballistic shields had historically been deployed by specialized entities, such as Metropolitan Division. To provide additional resources for officers, the Department tested and evaluated several different ballistic shields. In 2016, the ASPIS X Level III Ballistic Shield, manufactured by Point Blank, was also approved for use by certified officers assigned to patrol operations.

https://lapdonlinestrgeacc.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/lapdonlinemedia/2022/04/2_2021-UOF-YER-compressed.pdf 

Edited by Zach..
  • Upvote 4
1 hour ago, NickyW said:

used occasionally

Wrong. In most situations involving officers securing suspects from vehicles, or in securing suspects general shields are used to assist with taking suspects in custody. LASD and LAPD commonly utilize shields, it doesn't require an 'active shooter' scenario. 

• Upvote 1

huge support!

very widely used throughout LA law enforcement - prioritizes safety of officers which a department in a war-torn los angeles equivalent would definitely benefit from!

i think @Westen may be able to shed some more light on this - iirc he found a good animation and object for it

Edited by joshua
18 minutes ago, Mescalero said:

Wrong. In most situations involving officers securing suspects from vehicles, or in securing suspects general shields are used to assist with taking suspects in custody. LASD and LAPD commonly utilize shields, it doesn't require an 'active shooter' scenario. 

I work with Law Enforcement literally every day in a town with 154 shootings (including non-fatal shootings) a year.

I've seen riot shields in probably less than five of those.

I've bolded the concern here. If you start seeing these shields at traffic stops and even suspicious vehicle stops, that's goofy lol.

22 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

Hey man I'm not sure where you got that info from but they're pretty widespread. They're used in most tactical teams extensively, they even use big rolling ones. They're also commonly used when approaching suspects who are armed or clearing buildings.

Heres some videos!

Hide contents

On top of that, the LAPD (which we replicate on the server) uses them a lot. Here's the manual for it:

https://lapdonlinestrgeacc.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/lapdonlinemedia/2021/09/EV09_S12_LD23_Ballistic_Shield_Tactics_and_Techniques.pdf

This is taught DIRECTLY at the academy, so all officers are certified in them.

From a 2021 UOF review it states that they're issued to all patrol that are certified, which you get at the academy:

https://lapdonlinestrgeacc.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/lapdonlinemedia/2022/04/2_2021-UOF-YER-compressed.pdf 

I appreciate you taking the time to find videos and sources to support your claim. Don't think it falls on deaf ears.

That being said, I could find fifty more bodycam videos where there isn't a shield in sight. Anecdotal video evidence is just that, anecdotal.

I understand that ballistic shields are issued and taught at police academy. That being said, in US Army Basic training, you're taught how to use pugil sticks in hand-to-hand combat. Until very recently, you were taught how to use bayonets. However, you'll find in that actual field environments, US Soldiers hardly, in fact, nearly never use either of these two items (especially pugil sticks, which granted are a training substitute for using your weapon, but that never happens either).

It's kind of like pointing out that full-auto weapons are realistic because the military are issued full-auto rifles. Technically you're correct, but they NEVER use the full-auto setting. Just because it's there, doesn't mean that it's commonly used.

I could see myself supporting this sort of script if it were restricted by some sort of IC TACSOP, for example:

- Serving Warrants

- Barricaded Suspects

- Automatic Weapons calls

- Bomb Scares

Edited by NickyW
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, NickyW said:

snip

Oh 100% man I agree with you, I wouldnt want them deployed all the time as I agree it would look silly. I'm sure if added there would be an IC policy regarding it, and when it can be deployed like you stated. The main thing I've seen them used for is moving up on static suspects that have shot as seen in some of those videos, or barricaded subjects.

• Upvote 1