Remove assets on name change, potentially with a part refund.

Narcan

1 hour ago, Narcan said:

It literally states in the title and post, that you'd be entitled to sell your property or would be liable for a refund. I don't care so much about the properties as it doesn't affect my genre of roleplay that much, I care more about people spawning into the world with enough cocaine to kill the population and an armoury ready to go. I threw it in as a social experiment to see how people would react and it was exactly as expected; nothing but OOC driven responses. Your "grind" or hours put in means nothing. It's a roleplay server and you're supposed to be here to put hours into roleplay and that in itself is self rewarding. You're not supposed to be here to grind things out, and although it's each to their own as long as you're not breaking any server rules, therefore I have no sympathy for those who lose things. 

I do however think more should be put into place to help people fund the roleplay they want from the get go. You are given a free $250,000 from the server however, and although name-changing doesn't reset this for you there's still the fact you will be REFUNDED or given the option to sell your property to reacquire the money. I don't care about the money value since money is more-or-less an OOC entity in itself, considering weapons cost more than some starter cars. It's the fact you are holding onto things that don't make much sense to own from the get go.

This community has no consistency when it comes to the value of property, as well as many other things. That is by design and a result of our community being a platform for many, many different roleplay genres. I could see property entirely different from you, but both our views would be considered valid. The only thing that has consistent value across everything is time. Whether it’s time spent, time available or time it takes, time itself is woven into every aspect of this community. 

That’s why it’s so incredibly confusing when you say that property has no intrinsic value for you and your genre. I am genuinely curious what you roleplay, are all your characters homeless drifters with nothing to their name? Or are you swimming in so much cash that it all doesn’t matter anymore? 

3 hours ago, eTaylor said:

This community has no consistency when it comes to the value of property, as well as many other things. That is by design and a result of our community being a platform for many, many different roleplay genres. I could see property entirely different from you, but both our views would be considered valid. The only thing that has consistent value across everything is time. Whether it’s time spent, time available or time it takes, time itself is woven into every aspect of this community. 

That’s why it’s so incredibly confusing when you say that property has no intrinsic value for you and your genre. I am genuinely curious what you roleplay, are all your characters homeless drifters with nothing to their name? Or are you swimming in so much cash that it all doesn’t matter anymore? 

I've never had more than $300,000 to a character because I'm not into the grinding on this game, or any other tbh. Nor have I ever roleplayed a character that requires any substantial amount of money. If you choose to dedicate hours and hours to getting a mansion and a variety of sports cars, then imo you're part of a much more complex problem with the server. Although as much as we try to keep those characters out of bounds with RPQM etc, the script does push players into it. You can sidejob to your hearts desire or work behind a bar for a month or two and be "rich." 

My point about property not bothering me is because I roleplay in factions and/or gangs and therefore the people around me probably own a $35,000 - $100,000 apartment. This means they don't give a fuck about it and will probably just sell it anyway when they name-change. The only reason I added it to mix was to get a gauge of what peoples reactions would be to losing IC property from their OOC perspective, especially in the civillian or legal scene. Why? Because if this suggestion was to remove guns and drugs from illegal roleplayers on name-change ONLY and not property? I can assure you the responses would be a whole different story. 

Edited by Narcan
28 minutes ago, Narcan said:

I've never had more than $300,000 to a character because I'm not into the grinding on this game, or any other tbh. Nor have I ever roleplayed a character that requires any substantial amount of money. If you choose to dedicate hours and hours to getting a mansion and a variety of sports cars, then imo you're part of a much more complex problem with the server. Although as much as we try to keep those characters out of bounds with RPQM etc, the script does push players into it. You can sidejob to your hearts desire or work behind a bar for a month or two and be "rich." 

My point about property not bothering me is because I roleplay in factions and/or gangs and therefore the people around me probably own a $35,000 - $100,000 apartment. This means they don't give a fuck about it and will probably just sell it anyway when they name-change. The only reason I added it to mix was to get a gauge of what peoples reactions would be to losing IC property from their OOC perspective, especially in the civillian or legal scene. Why? Because if this suggestion was to remove guns and drugs from illegal roleplayers on name-change ONLY and not property? I can assure you the responses would be a whole different story. 

This comes across as incredibly disingenuous, but I get what you’re doing. The only flaw I see with it is that you seem to think that the only people who care about property are people who grind for them. I’ve done “illegal” and “legal” roleplay, and it seems seems that the utility of property is lost on you. For most it’s the home of your character, the base of your roleplay and often the physical pivot point in any community. Outside of that there’s also an incredibly complex meta associated with acquiring property, customizing it to your character’s specification and maintaining it. Property retention is also a reason for a lot of people to keep playing and remaining engaged. Property isn’t comparable to a gun, you can replace a gun. You can’t really replace property. I don’t understand how being in a faction equates to “not giving a fuck” about property.

I had to spend nearly a year getting a trailer for my illegal character, so did a lot of the people I roleplayed with. Most of us don’t spend time driving garbage trucks or doing side jobs, most of us roleplay. And even as a cop with a steady flow of money I found it took me endless months to actually get property to keep. If the point is to focus your time and effort on roleplay, what’s the point of basically deleting your character only to spend thousands of hours into rebuilding everything from scratch? Especially when that rebuilding adds absolutely nothing. You don’t loose guns or drugs when namechanging, so why be antagonistic and suggest we do that anyway? 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

This comes across as incredibly disingenuous, but I get what you’re doing. The only flaw I see with it is that you seem to think that the only people who care about property are people who grind for them. I’ve done “illegal” and “legal” roleplay, and it seems seems that the utility of property is lost on you. For most it’s the home of your character, the base of your roleplay and often the physical pivot point in any community. Outside of that there’s also an incredibly complex meta associated with acquiring property, customizing it to your character’s specification and maintaining it. Property retention is also a reason for a lot of people to keep playing and remaining engaged. Property isn’t comparable to a gun, you can replace a gun. You can’t really replace property. I don’t understand how being in a faction equates to “not giving a fuck” about property.

I had to spend nearly a year getting a trailer for my illegal character, so did a lot of the people I roleplayed with. Most of us don’t spend time driving garbage trucks or doing side jobs, most of us roleplay. And even as a cop with a steady flow of money I found it took me endless months to actually get property to keep. If the point is to focus your time and effort on roleplay, what’s the point of basically deleting your character only to spend thousands of hours into rebuilding everything from scratch? Especially when that rebuilding adds absolutely nothing. You don’t loose guns or drugs when namechanging, so why be antagonistic and suggest we do that anyway? 

You're getting very passive aggressive by suggesting I don't intertwine properties into my characters and use them in my roleplay as most should. Yes, a property is closely tied to a character and their story and there's heaps of roleplay to be associated with owning one. So you've basically agreed with me by stating that properties are fully roleplayed and tied into your characters story... they live in them, they develop them and they make them their own. A lot of their activities can take place in here and it's a piece of them... just to express, a piece of THEM. Not you. You're playing a character.

I'm fine with it being a choice of the player whether they keep these or not, yet it's an echo of how many players are part of a bigger problem. Players who care about these assets have the complete wrong mind-set. Anybody who expects assets and property in return of a grind, instead of roleplay, literally aren't roleplaying. it does become confusing however when the server points a player in one direction with ways to grind out work shifts (albeit IC it's unrealistic to get said rewards from working as a bartend) yet we expect the opposite to be considered a good roleplayer. Even SD, in my brief time in training, were offering monetary rewards to complete jail shifts instead of finding capable roleplayers who want to engage there. I know money is still IC, people still get paid for jobs in the real world and they should here - yet I REALLY don't believe those incentives are anything but OOC pushes. You're inclined to disagree and I look forward to your points.

I understand your reasoning for this. But following that logic, nobody could ever play a wealthy character ever. Every single resident of LS would start dirt poor and it would just encourage a grinding mentality.

I have played poorer characters while having 4+ million in the bank. Assets are OOC and you should RP your char based on the char not what your totat assets say.

I understand what you're trying to prevent, but this isn't the solution.

"Your character owned / earned them and that's the simple reasoning behind my suggestion"

Yes....but also no. My character did not earn everything that was mapped in his house as a result of me purchasing platinum. People who purchased exclusive cars through last years charity fundraiser did not earn those cars either. Those are just two examples of a very small ability to pay for certain things. Which is why I would argue that even if this idea were popular, its chance of being viable would be very slim. 

Ideas that jeopardize the revenue streams which keep the lights on around here simply do not get implemented. This would absolutely disenchant some portion of the population that is paying IRL money for specific in game benefits. 

"However, it will force new characters to find IC ways to enter the markets of whatever they'll require." 

My characters home has never influenced who I RP with. If I lived in Mirror Park or Rockford Hills, I would still be RPing with the same group. And if my characters home were taken away, I would still just wait to find another one in the general area I like - be that Los Santos or Paleto Bay, etc. The same can be said of cars. My character drives a Cheval Surge. There are beater cars that cost more than it. I'm not saying I'm exceptional at RP, but of the people I RP with regularly who I do find to be exceptional at their RP...neither their cars nor their homes are what makes them good RPers. And neither of those things had any bearing on the IC interactions that created our characters relationships. If you have someone hoarding old illegal guns from an old character, that's another situation where I don't understand how those will be useful until you develop the complex relationships / gang affiliations / etc to actually have them be of use again.

Anyway, I am sure you're not alone in your desire, and I commend you for outright calling yourself out on it being a dissenting opinion from the getgo. I just wanted to give my perspective / devils advocate stance on why I do not see the same benefits that you did @Narcan - as well as what I consider the death blow to even popular ideas....anything that might harm the revenue streams which support this place.