Remove assets on name change, potentially with a part refund.

Narcan

Detailed Description

A generally unpopular opinion. When a character name changes they should lose their assets. This includes weapons, housing and vehicles. Your character owned / earned them and that's the simple reasoning behind my suggestion, although it causes much more complex issues along the line. The only reason I haven't suggested removing earned money is because honestly, people come into life with different backstories and from different social economic backgrounds. A local fourteen year old to later be developed within a faction is not going to realistically have the same resources as a thirty year old who graduated 5 years ago. The graduate would obviously be in a much dire situation (that's a joke.) Keeping the money allows the player to have the freedom to play this character but the assets aren't needed. Guns are staying in surplus and being essentially stockpiled on characters so that they never need to get one ICly again on their new characters. Houses should be freed up, you can always get another but it makes no sense that your current character is leaving their life behind and having their property instantly handed over to somebody else, let alone also played out by yourself. Vehicles I'm not too concerned about but they come under the same category. 

Yes, it takes real life time to earn on this server and that's why I understand wanting to keep your money. Assets should be sold by the player or given the same refund system as inactivity. Half of the fun in gang roleplay for me was being a local and earning your respect, however long that may take depending on the type of personality you decide to play. Getting GIVEN that first gun was a milestone and a sense of achievement for your character yet these days it means nothing. That's just one example from my main avenue of roleplay and I'm sure others have their own examples. It shows how OOC mentalities seep through into your roleplay if you believe for a second you're entitled to keep anything. Keeping your money will more than suffice to get your new characters life rolling based on their background.

Relevant Commands/Items

Automatic removal of housing, housing items, vehicles and weapons upon name-changing. 

How will it benefit the server?

I'm not expecting most people to be on board and it's each to their own. However, it will force new characters to find IC ways to enter the markets of whatever they'll require. Thus boosting IC interactions and character development. This should be done off the players own back but it doesn't. If your character is going down any path in life where they need an illegal weapon, they should go and find a way. Why would they have a stash house with eight or more pistols inside? Some of your characters are fourteen and carrying an illegal weapon just because you have one from name-changing and these are just examples from weapons. Let alone properties and vehicles.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, colorlessrainbow said:

No one holds back you from requesting an asset wipe from an admin upon namechange. Don’t force your preferences on others.

Indeed but also following this logic means that RQM is pointless having. If somebody wants to roleplay something totally unrealistic, should I let them roleplay their preferred preference? Being a part of the black gang roleplay community and previously sureno, I've defended these kind of factions as the best the server has to offer and that they get needless hate. Yet one thing that I feel lets it down is constantly seeing a fourteen year old kid somehow have a weapon two days after stepping off their porch, it breaks other peoples immersion, what the rules are their to protect in the first place. I'm using this as an example because it's the roleplay I engage with, I'm sure other genres have their own similar issues.

Edited by Narcan
6 minutes ago, Jennie said:

Or maybe, force people to sell their properties before/minutes after the namechange.

Also valid, as long as it achieves a similar thing. I understand with all aspects that the players would want some kind of refund for the assets but it may be tricky to gauge with weapons. It's also tough trying to get your money back on the property too at a fair rate in such a short time. I think aslong as the player is showing that they're making an effort to remove their assets it should suffice. 

7 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

+ namechanges can happen because of a marriage too.

That's a complete separate system. You use an in-game command to set that up, I'm talking about spending a name change on the UCP. 

6 minutes ago, TommyX said:

How about making it an option.

It already is an option. I never take anything over characters, apart from vehicles as I'm just too lazy to get rid of them myself and I barely use them anyway. It ruins other peoples immersion though and it becomes a problem, you can refer to the points I made in my original post.

With the property market being as it is, I'm not sure I'm generally in support of that part of this. House prices in high-crime areas, for instance, are stupidly high because they are, bottom line, houses, either mapped and paid for in a manner that borders on OOC or painstakingly mapped by the owner themselves. The property market is seriously wonky as a result. To include houses and properties as part of this, you would first need to combat the issues surrounding property to make that fair and reasonable or you subject people who are i.e. CKed/NC to lose whatever income that might have provided in full in keeping with the standards the community has created for itself. 

However, I agree the market is oversaturated with firearms and even drugs compared to a year ago where people actually fought to keep and not always use their handguns because they were expensive or difficult to get a hold of even through their own faction ranks. I recall a player in JTM telling me he had to wait three months through roleplay to be trusted with a gun, and he fought in-character to have the right to one. JTM was also a faction that saw serious longevity on the server as well. 

I'm interested to see if there's a way to manage poorly or conveniently chosen NCs that enable players to keep these firearm assets they should not have at their player-convenience as this is and should always be an in-character asset with as little OOC influence as possible.  

Edited by shrike.