Force hospital time based on injuries

Blöp

Why is it accepted that people are forced to sit in an empty jail after being arrested, but unthinkable to sit in an empty hospital after being shot ten times?  Just curious what the difference is and if it's worth the resulting lack of fear when it comes to injury/death.

Just now, Paenymion said:

Why is it accepted that people are forced to sit in an empty jail after being arrested, but unthinkable to sit in an empty hospital after being shot ten times?  Just curious what the difference is and if it's worth the resulting lack of fear when it comes to injury/death.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

Read page 1.

19 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

Because the hospital =/= jail. You shouldn’t be punished for roleplaying with medical staff nor should they see this part of roleplay as a punishment. They can always opt out of roleplaying with PHMC, and that should be their right as players. It’s the best system for everyone involved.

I'm also going to add this. 

The main holdup causing a lack of hospital roleplay is not people "evading" us or just running off, most of them get NPC'd due to a lack of staff even though some are more than willing to roleplay with us. If you really want to see the hospital being stronger and more active, be the difference you want to see and join the hospital as a Registered Nurse, even if you only want to limit your activities to working with patients staying in the hospital for prolonged periods on the second and third floors, we're more than willing to welcome people even without experience to provide those patients with roleplay. If we had more staff, more people would stick around and this would not be nearly as much of an issue. The solution here is not to imprison people inside of PHMC, but to provide Pillbox with better tools to incentivize people to join and provide roleplay to those patients who are already showing up.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

Because the hospital =/= jail. You shouldn’t be punished for roleplaying with medical staff nor should they see this part of roleplay as a punishment. They can always opt out of roleplaying with PHMC, and that should be their right as players. It’s the best system for everyone involved.

Well, in my mind this wasn't a punishment, more like an encouragement to take medical treatment more seriously and don't hop out of the hospital after five minutes. Either way, in case even you guys are telling that this is a bad idea, I believe you.

But to stick with the subject, how else would it be possible to make people care about being hurt? In the same way, if you commit a crime you will have to spend some time in a cell, even if you don't want to, shouldn't we also encourage people to try to avoid being shot for example by putting some weight on these events? Right now - for me at least - it feels these events happen so weightlessly partly because people are simply not afraid of their injuries because spending two minutes and writing a few /dos after being in a life-death situation is clearly not holding back anybody from anything. 

9 minutes ago, liafriuli said:

But to stick with the subject, how else would it be possible to make people care about being hurt? In the same way, if you commit a crime you will have to spend some time in a cell, even if you don't want to, shouldn't we also encourage people to try to avoid being shot for example by putting some weight on these events? Right now - for me at least - it feels these events happen so weightlessly partly because people are simply not afraid of their injuries because spending two minutes and writing a few /dos after being in a life-death situation is clearly not holding back anybody from anything. 

The honest answer is don’t force people to care. Medical roleplay is an interesting part of a characters story if they /choose/ to make it so. Forcing them to do medical roleplay is how you get people /me is unconscious and utterly and ironically creating lifeless roleplay.

People choose to roleplay their injuries (which honestly, physical traumatic injuries are the most boring calls and patients PHMC has, so we don’t care either way), and as such, want to roleplay with us. Forcing every guy to have to be in the hospital for long periods of time is just gonna make our small and overworked faction one of the most hated. And it’ll turn the LSFD into avoid at all costs faction.

Let people make their own consequences and give them the freedom to create their own stories, and choose to involve us in that story.

Edited by KinnyWynny
3 minutes ago, liafriuli said:

Well, in my mind this wasn't a punishment, more like an encouragement to take medical treatment more seriously and don't hop out of the hospital after five minutes. Either way, in case even you guys are telling that this is a bad idea, I believe you.

Having a medical emergency is not akin to comitting a crime, players shouldn't be punished for it. Not everything on this game needs to carry OOC consequences. The people who care about roleplaying the long term effects of sustaining an injury or suffering a medical emergency already do so, many of them seek follow-up care at PHMC. Those who do not wish to roleplay with us further, do not. Hovering the threat of consequences over the heads of players who don't want to roleplay with us doesn't help anyone. It will disincentivize people from calling 911 and wanting to roleplay with EMS and hospital staff.

This is something that we currently simply don't have the numbers to support. If we could manage to actively maintain operations in the second and third floors where inpatients recover from their injuries, we could perhaps look into a system of this nature without forcing anyone to stay, but the truth of the matter is that we don't and we probably won't have in the near future.

We plan to foster passive roleplay around long term recovery at the hospital, starting with the addition of a role which should be announced soon that specifically caters to these patients who do not get immediately discharged from the hospital and seek out to roleplay with us beyond the usual emergency medical treatments.

PHMC have never and will never endorse forced roleplay between staff and patients, and I feel as though this would go heavily against what we have been striving for in terms of making hospital/medical roleplay more attractive and enjoyable to the community. 

As of now, as the Director of Nursing at PHMC, thank you for the suggestion but I can't say I support it.

Edited by Shaderz