My appeal to LEO Rpers.

MickeyO

3 minutes ago, MickeyO said:

there is no common ground for some, all i’m hoping is for a clear established guidelines and the use of terry frisks but na, it’s too much of an issue. This shit is OD demotivating. And we always question why there is a divide between the two sets of rpers

As a person that RPs illegal, my characters undergo the necessary precautions to ensure that they don't get caught. My character use to stash narcotics in his pockets. He was arrested. Now, he stashes it in his boxers to prevent such searches from locating the narcotics on him. Reason? He realized that his prior offenses will lead to more frisks, as his record details that he's a meth addict.

Learn from the I.C. consequence. In the real world, Law enforcement officers frisk people without reasonable suspicion, knowing very well that the person won't report them. In court? They'll fabricate a reason to ensure that the frisk was "Constitutional".

Edited by DLimit
Just now, MickeyO said:

there is no common ground for some, all i’m hoping is for a clear established guidelines and the use of terry frisks but na, it’s too much of an issue. This shit is OD demotivating. And we always question why there is a divide between the two sets of rpers

Well yeah but your appeal was used with the example of your own search, which I think in this case was justifiable. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish for anyone to be stuck in the limbo of snail-pace court RP, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I'm not trying to take sides, I have characters across the whole spectrum of legal-illegal. If the MDC is used and facts are used to determine a search is reasonable based on prior convictions, I think that's fair.

What wouldn't be fair is if you told me they know you're illegal by name because they read it on your faction thread, and stop you on a character that has no convictions and no past run-ins with the police, and show no suspicious signs other than the fact that through process of OOC elimination you're probably an illegal RPer. But that's not what happened in this specific case.

7 minutes ago, MickeyO said:

Uh, no offense but there are already established guidelines in place with what is allowed under a terry frisk and what is not, if people don't read it then..it's their fault. To be fair, you do have a valid concern that some people do not know the law. Also, as I stated, the scenario you provided is realistic and happens IRL. If this was IRL and you took it to courts, they would give reason to the officer, saying your 4th Amendment Rights were not violated, as the officer reasonably felt threatened. Honestly? Your character should be more careful than anything else.

Edited by nelsondx
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know how you can say there needs to be established guidelines when there’s literally caselaw examples provided from the US Supreme Court in this thread. Yes, I agree that some Pd/sd don’t know the laws well enough and conduct frisks illegally. Not disputing that. But in your case, it was perfectly legitimate. 

8 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

This is actually an unconstitutional way of thinking. In American law searches or arrests can't be justified simply by the concept of "Well I was right and they were guilty."

Well it definitely is in a general way, but I don't consider the logic in this particular case to be so. They had reason to suspect this particular individual to be potentially armed based on the information available to them. Whether they were right or wrong isn't as important as whether it was justifiable, and in this case with this evidence, I would personally say it was justified.

Edited by Koko
12 minutes ago, MickeyO said:

It’s funny because when I speak to LEO rpers in DM’s about the situation they agree with me. Who exactly is having fun when you decide to randomly search people based on prior convictions? It’s so ridiculous.

“I’m a convicted criminal with known background of carrying guns and murdering people, it’s so ridiculous for cops to search me for their own safety!!!”

1 minute ago, Koko said:

Well it definitely is in a general way, but I don't consider the logic in this particular case to be so. They had reason to suspect this particular individual to be armed based on the information available to them. Whether they were right or wrong isn't as important as whether it was justifiable, and in this case with this evidence, I would personally say it was justified.

Even if it were to be Unconstitutional, then it should be handled in court. The person could sue the department for infringing their Constitutional Rights. All evidence, that's attained unconstitutionally, can be dismissed, on top of that.

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

Even if it were to be Unconstitutional, then it should be handled in court. The person could sue the department for infringing their Constitutional Rights. All evidence, that's attained unconstitutionally, can be dismissed, on top of that.

There is something called fruit of the poisonous tree - Evidence that was not obtained legally. GTAW Courts know this doctrine surely.

Isn't this just the way it's been in many large cities in America for a long time, though? Isn't stop & frisks, especially of cars with certain tags & certain known cars, that gang units mark down- etc special targets for police to pull over on any minor incident in hopes to make a dent on either the drug or weapon market? I mean, I'm getting this from watching like every episode of LivePD there is and from just my perception on it! 😛

Might be wrong.

Just now, MickeyO said:

You're going to bitch and moan if I get toxic, hold yourself to that standard or fuck off the thread.

Or I can point out the ridiculousness of your point without being toxic. 

snarky? yeah, definitely. 

Also last I checked I can freely participate in this forum as I please 🙂