How to improve RP in nightclubs

Lurleen

Pay attention to the floorplan.  Friends don't let friends make clubs with nonsense floorplans.

The smaller club idea has a lot of merit.  A long time ago one of my chars went to a club near the ammunation across the canal from Mission Row, and it was cool.  It had a bar off the entryway that was separated enough that people there could do bar stuff, and then a small viewing/socializing area overlooking the dance floor, and then a fairly small dance area that was a long rectangular shape only slightly wider than the DJ stage.  The small dimly lit areas created the illusion of a densely packed club or an intimate venue.  There wasn't enough space for people to isolate themselves, and even closed groups were dancing right next to other people and other closed groups.  This gave more opportunities for /me's and /l between characters who didn't know each other.

I wasn't a fan of the goth club's layout, but on the whole it was something I looked forward to checking out when it was open.  It was niche, it had a theme, it was different, and it had an informal dress code, like at least try to dress a little goth so you don't look like a tourist when you're there.

4 hours ago, TinPan said:

letting in Miss Raven Nightclaw with pink hair and an outfit you’d find from Mad Max

giphy.gif

The people you need to keep out are the people who look like they threw on a t shirt and jeans before they left the house because this is says to people coming in that the place isn't much fun and people are treating it like any other bar, or they showed up because they were bored.

18 hours ago, shaobadman said:

there were talks even on here years ago against anything that seemed "too rpg", which is a very broad description/line of reasoning that i believe some people use to describe any feature they find too limiting for them personally, i'm surprised nobody has ever argued against the existence of fuel in vehicles

I remember discussions like that.  They're fine with fuel in vehicles, and they're fine with arbitrary money sinks like car insurance, but when it comes to something they don't like, like having their characters eat something, oh, then stop the world.  No one wants to be pestered by little game mechanics, but they attack any and all suggestions of things because they personally don't like it for whatever reason.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Lurleen said:

wanted to create an underground club, which wouldn't be publically advertised. Would have been advertised by word of mouth, only allowing friends of friends, or trusted people, who'd be told about the location and dates. To make sure interesting characters go and having drugs available in the club for those type of crazy parties you mentioned.

That would've been cool, ferociously cool.

43 minutes ago, jcat said:

I remember discussions like that.  They're fine with fuel in vehicles, and they're fine with arbitrary money sinks like car insurance, but when it comes to something they don't like, like having their characters eat something, oh, then stop the world.  No one wants to be pestered by little game mechanics, but they attack any and all suggestions of things because they personally don't like it for whatever reason.

But when you talk about revamping the trucker job that is pure RPG they tell you that the job is fine, or the new drugs system.

About nightclubs, many people believe that a nightclub is a bar or something, they are RP'ng with their private bubble of friends and nothing else, when it should be a place to meet new people, socialize, flirt, etc.

Edited by Jennie
4 hours ago, jcat said:

3 hours ago, Jennie said:

But when you talk about revamping the trucker job that is pure RPG they tell you that the job is fine, or the new drugs system.

seems to me that there's a discussion to be had about people labeling features as "rpg" in a negative way

3 hours ago, Jennie said:

About nightclubs, many people believe that a nightclub is a bar or something, they are RP'ng with their private bubble of friends and nothing else, when it should be a place to meet new people, socialize, flirt, etc.

not disagreeing here but i wouldn't be surprised if many players just decided to "give up" and go to nightclubs anyway, knowing they're doing it "wrong", but because so many keep opening up, these players continue to default to nightclubs as public places to roleplay

there are lounges and the like but it's clear that nightclubs are the dominant type of venue, i used to believe that taking away entry fees would halt their popularity since this is what i experienced in fiverp, but nightclubs still seem to be the first choice and most liked, which is a weird contrast to all the criticism i see of them on the forums (and i don't disagree with the criticism either, it's very refreshing to see)

slightly off topic: i know mirror park was never anybody's favourite place but i did enjoy observing rp occurring in the open and the wild situations you could see unfolding right there in a public location, this included anything from gang clashes, to food truck rp and sometimes outdoor mapped furniture

4 hours ago, Jennie said:

when it should be a place to meet new people, socialize, flirt, etc.

True, but in GTAW Los Santos meeting new people can be a highly negative experience, so again people sort of stay around people they know.

• Thanks 1

People should treat clubs for what they are and not as rp hubs. Cause it honestly makes no sense for a siciliano mafia group sitting in a goth/industrial club knowing they, don't like the music, club is filled with people dressed like from techno horrors or vampire movies...like does it even make sense for them? Obviously not. People should pick clubs that make sense for them to visit.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Wuhtah locked this topic