Adding debit & credit cards with the future money update

EffPee

9 minutes ago, Van said:

Please tell me what other opportunity or reason having the credit card or debit card as an item  could be?

I'm not being sarcastic here, you're getting it wrong: I was sarcastic with my first message but I'm genuinely asking you what this suggestion could add to server other than making robberies profitable?

Contactless payments, more realistic bank transfers (could even add Cashapp cards and gift cards), bank loans, credit ratings, staggered payments for assets with added interest, repossessions, IRS investigations (which is already coming),  withdrawal limits (no more taking 100k out of an ATM, more of a reason to go to a bank could add a new sector of roleplay), payment tracing (could be used to find a wanted criminal), paying for assets using credit, improving credit card fraud RP.

If we are changing how the economy works, we may as well go all in. You might say these opportunities can come without debit/credit cards, but they’d definitely be enhanced with the addition of cards.

Edited by EffPee

Definitely agree with the addition of debit cards. Can’t say I really agree about the stealing part. Stealing a physical debit card in this day and age is not worth it. These are not gift cards you can use everywhere without a PIN. Even so, I can just use my phone to turn the debit card off in seconds. If you steal my phone, then it’s a matter of an hour or less before I call the bank and have it turned off. You can’t use the debit card at an ATM without the PIN, so you wouldn’t be able to actually get cash. You can’t get cash back at a store without a PIN number. The only thing you could do is purchase a few things before the card gets turned off by using the “credit” option on the PIN pad where you might get lucky that it doesn’t require a PIN.

I don’t think we’re fancy enough to start including debit card numbers that can be stolen, as if the card number was compromised online. Digital fraud is very common but the physical stealing? It’s too easy to get it turned off quickly to justify that honestly. Digital fraud works because you don’t know it’s stolen until they’ve already used it. 

Edited by Sixty
2 minutes ago, Sixty said:

Can’t say I really agree. Stealing a debit card in this day and age is not worth it. I can just use my phone to turn the debit card off in seconds. If you steal my phone, then it’s a matter of an hour or less before I call the bank and have it turned off. You can’t use the debit card at an ATM without the PIN, so you wouldn’t be able to actually get cash. You can’t get cash back at a store without a PIN number. The only thing you could do is purchase a few things before the card gets turned off by using the “credit” option on the PIN pad where you might get lucky that it doesn’t require a PIN. 

Do contactless payments not exist in the US or something? At least in the UK, you can pay up to £30 without having to enter a pin (Now £100 due to the pandemic), and you can pay £300 in total before a pin is requested. As it is now, people that commit credit card fraud do so to purchase items that they can sell off for profit, that's essentially what would happen if someone stole a debit card. If the card gets declined before they can buy something? That's great, that's a spanner in the works for the RP and it brings a balance. 

6 minutes ago, Sixty said:

I feel this is a grasp at hanging onto these low level robberies which are already poor and in most cases plain lazy. Not trying to derail the thread, but that’s my opinion about it. Figure out another way to progress your character’s RP.

Appreciate the comment but most of these robbers, roleplayed or not, don't do it to progress their RP. They do it for monetary gain, as they should. No matter how you feel, this suggestion had more than just robberies in mind, until we can create more opportunities to create illegal income for low-level criminals that aren't at all connected to mafias or organisations as such, then those low-level criminals have to rely on petty crime such as theft and muggings to make that bit of extra money on the side. 

I don't agree with baseless characters that ONLY do robberies, with no substance behind their actions and roleplay. But that doesn't mean the rest of us don't still feel the need to commit crimes like muggings every so often.

1 hour ago, EffPee said:

Contactless payments, more realistic bank transfers (could even add Cashapp cards and gift cards), bank loans, credit ratings, staggered payments for assets with added interest, repossessions, IRS investigations (which is already coming),  withdrawal limits (no more taking 100k out of an ATM, more of a reason to go to a bank could add a new sector of roleplay), payment tracing (could be used to find a wanted criminal), paying for assets using credit, improving credit card fraud RP.

If we are changing how the economy works, we may as well go all in. You might say these opportunities can come without debit/credit cards, but they’d definitely be enhanced with the addition of cards.

As an item, not as a concept.

You are suggesting adding the credit cards as an item that could be dropped, taken away or stolen. While I get where you're coming from, you can always do these without having the credit card as an item. You could just have it like driver's license and swipe it when necessary.

1 minute ago, Van said:

As an item, not as a concept.

You are suggesting adding the credit cards as an item that could be dropped, taken away or stolen. While I get where you're coming from, you can always do these without having the credit card as an item. You could just have it like driver's license and swipe it when necessary.

Imagine how much better licenses could be if they were physical items, I don't want to have to RP taking someone's debit card while actually taking nothing if it's a possibility to make it an item.

Just now, EffPee said:

Imagine how much better licenses could be if they were physical items, I don't want to have to RP taking someone's debit card while actually taking nothing if it's a possibility to make it an item.

It comes down to same exact thing here: Having the driver's license as an item wouldn't make sense because police can already suspend and destroy it. Stealing won't get you anything so it's senseless to keep it that way, unless it's to be used for ILLEGAL ROLEPLAY.

Although you have been telling nothing illegal in your comment, it boils down to the same point. There is literally only one reason for someone to ask cards to be items and that is to easy-money for criminals.

Criminals will have to adapt, they will have to evolve just like how they did before. I'm sorry, I can't and I won't support this. You can CC scam me, but this is just providing an easy way for people who can't up their game in my eyes. 

2 minutes ago, Van said:

It comes down to same exact thing here: Having the driver's license as an item wouldn't make sense because police can already suspend and destroy it. Stealing won't get you anything so it's senseless to keep it that way, unless it's to be used for ILLEGAL ROLEPLAY.

God forbid we try to improve illegal roleplay.

14 minutes ago, EffPee said:

God forbid we try to improve illegal roleplay.

I appreciate the effort and I agree. I just don’t think this is the right way. I would maybe compromise on an idea that if a card gets stolen, you get a certain amount (to simulate the daily spending limit on a debit card at a point of sale, which is any machine in a retail space). Even so, I feel like this is only going to increase the poor and lazy side of illegal RP.  I’m sorry to disagree. I agree a criminal realistically IRL goes for the easy cash, but we should be striving for a higher standard in my opinion. 

Edited by Sixty
7 minutes ago, Sixty said:

I would compromise on an idea that if a card gets stolen, you get a certain amount (to simulate the daily spending limit on a debit card at a point of sale, which is any machine in a retail space). 

This is literally what I'm trying to suggest. A randomized amount with a limit based off a players set withdrawal limit; if they set their withdrawal limit to $100 dollars you can only get a randomized amount from them that ranges from 0-100. They want to set their limit to 5k? It ranges from 0-5000. Actions have consequences, the victim can risk losing more money and the robber can risk getting caught due to the traced purchases, or they won't even manage to use the card before it gets cancelled. Simple compromise.

7 minutes ago, Sixty said:

I agree a criminal realistically IRL goes for the easy cash, but we should be striving for a higher standard in my opinion. 

We can't prevent proper roleplayers from having the opportunity to carry out higher standard robbery RP just because there's a select group of people that don't do the same; everyone that is anyone does what they can to help these subpar roleplayers improve, or punish them for their wrongdoings; we can't put proper roleplay on hold until these people are rooted out, it'll take years.

Edited by EffPee
5 minutes ago, EffPee said:

This is literally what I'm trying to suggest. A randomized amount with a limit based off a players set withdrawal limit; if they set their withdrawal limit to $100 dollars you can only get a randomized amount from them that ranges from 0-100. They want to set their limit to 5k? It ranges from 0-5000. 

We can't prevent proper roleplayers from having the opportunity to carry out higher standard robbery RP just because there's a select group of people that don't do the same; everyone that is anyone does what they can to help these subpar roleplayers improve, or punish them for their wrongdoings; we can't put proper roleplay on hold until these people are rooted out, it'll take years.

As long as there’s a fairly decent chance that they get zero. Not saying a majority of time, but that might combat the meta gaming “oh if they steal a card they are guaranteed money and that’s why they do it” kind of excuses. If there’s a chance in there that they can get nothing at least part of the time, I could potentially agree to that. That way there’s a risk vs reward factor and not just a guaranteed cash grab. 

Edited by Sixty
  • Wuhtah locked this topic