Automatically changing /attibutes after consuming alcohol or drugs

Entity

Short description: When using drugs or alcohol, having a new line automatically added in /attributes for a short amount of time in order to specify "visible signs of impairment".

Detailed description: There's no way to tell whether someone used drugs or alcohol at the moment. If you do it, you have some sort of effect on your screen but others can not see it nor be aware of it. Lots of people do not RP these effects and there's no way to tell whether someone did drugs or alcohol or not. In my almost 300 hours on my SD character, I have never seen it happen. The attributes line would also disappear after 30 minutes or 1 hour. 

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? Other people will be aware of whether someone's visibly impaired or not.

Additional information: The attribute would work like the one which states you have an ankle monitor attached. It would disappear after a set amount of time.

I think this is something that we should trust people to role-play properly. If anything, it would be a hassle since you'd have people attempting to abuse it by simply logging out, as well as having further aspects to take into account in regards to this.

If a player wants to abuse something, they will always find a way to do it. I personally do not think we should resort to RPG elements and force something like this on others.

Edited by harry
  • Upvote 1

To be honest, I'd like this very much. I've been back to the server for almost two years now and during that time I've been active in the LSPD as a traffic officer meaning that I've conducted a lot of traffics stops on people. During my time here, I've had about four instances of people actually RP being drunk after I've personally seen them exiting from a bar.

7 minutes ago, harry said:

I think this is something that we should trust people to role-play properly. If anything, it would be a hassle since you'd have people attempting to abuse it by simply logging out, as well as having further aspects to take into account in regards to this.

Trusting people to RP this effects clearly doesn't work as no one ever does it. Almost no one wants to RP being drunk and go "Ohh yeah, let me catch a cab instead of driving myself to the next bar". There's been several times I've been sitting outside bars, seeing people go outside, get into their car and drive to the next bar/club down the road so yeah, I'm very much in support of this suggestion.

8 minutes ago, harry said:

If a player wants to abuse something, they will always find a way to do it. I personally do not think we should resort to RPG elements and force something like this on others.

That would be the best option, but it doesn't work right now. I'm speaking from experience. My character has been in SD for two months and something and in almost three hundred hours, I've never seen anyone portray an impaired person, not on-duty nor off-duty. People should be role-playing it on their own but they're not and there isn't much to do about it.

I don't think it's an RPG element though. It's exactly the same situation as the ankle monitors. There's a reason why they're listed in /examine instead of letting people role-play it on their own accords - because this freedom can be and is easily and heavily abused.  

52 minutes ago, harry said:

Trusting someone no longer works; there will be two people who RP appropriately about their alcohol levels, followed by ten others who will ignore it. I've done dozens of targeted enforcements on drink-and-drive outside of open places (clubs and bars). Only about three people RPed their alcohol levels appropriately. The rest of them were all /do 0%. I doubt that 70% of people in nightclubs 'doesn't drink.'

13 minutes ago, Gustavs said:

Trusting someone no longer works; there will be two people who RP appropriately about their alcohol levels, followed by ten others who will ignore it. I've done dozens of targeted enforcements on drink-and-drive outside of open places (clubs and bars). Only about three people RPed their alcohol levels appropriately. The rest of them were all /do 0%. I doubt that 70% of people in nightclubs 'doesn't drink.'

Aw, come on man. If people wanna play like that, they can play like that. It's silly  and inappropriate for sure, but there's also people who are (much like myself!) forgetful about things, and consume the actual script items when the whole thing is done and dusted. Ergo, prolonging the time of the proposed impairment effect. I get what you're saying and all, but I think that if you force people to roleplay something, it'll get crummy.

If someone voluntarily roleplays a DWI? You're going to have a good scene, guaranteed.

As one of the people who properly RPs my character's level of intoxication at any point, I'd be really against the server powergaming my character being one way or another. Our server's BAV (Blood Alcohol Volume) script is already incredibly rudimentary and gives an automatic 0.05% ABV for any liquor item you consume, meaning my character gets equally drunk by the script whether she's drinking a weak 4% beer, a 40% shot, a two-ounce pour, a double, or a glass of overproofed rum. If the script is set to trigger arbitrarily because you had one drink or two drinks, it's powergaming that my character is a lightweight if all she drank is two weak beers.

Visible impairment is a tricky question for law enforcement even IRL. It's possible for a person to be legally intoxicated but to show no visible signs of inebriation. It's also possible for a person to be visibly impaired even before they'd be legally over the limit for intoxication. While BAV is pretty consistent across all heights, builds, and alcohol tolerances (how much alcohol has been absorbed in your blood stream), your inebriation level is going to be subjective to everyone and has a lot more factors. Has your character eaten recently? How big is your character? What are your character's genetics? What is your character drinking? What is the quality of the liquor your character is drinking? How much of it, and how fast did your character drink it? How much experience does your character have drinking.

I play a character who is an experienced drinker. Now if you tested her blood, I'd honestly calculate exactly what her BAV is, but she doesn't start being visibly impaired until she's already well over the legal limit (though I still do roleplay plenty of hints to people depending on how much drinking she's done). As someone who deals with drinkers on a daily basis for a living, some people are VERY good at hiding how drunk they are, and though a police officer would be more skilled at identifying this, it's still a very subjective thing.

Obviously not everyone will RP to this level of detail, but frankly I think this is more of an issue you can coax out whether ICly or OOCly. If someone isn't going to roleplay the effects of drugs and alcohol already, how much better do you think their RP will be because the script forces a line into their description?

1 hour ago, Ink said:

Obviously not everyone will RP to this level of detail, but frankly I think this is more of an issue you can coax out whether ICly or OOCly. If someone isn't going to roleplay the effects of drugs and alcohol already, how much better do you think their RP will be because the script forces a line into their description?

This. If somebody is trashing their own RP you really can’t except a decent encounter. I’m also someone who likes to go into detail with my roleplay, deputies and officers who’ve stopped

me know this and my record reflects this. @Flamer@Entity you’re both in law enforcement factions with people that have experience with these things, I’d personally argue that if you’re looking for DUI/DWI experiences the local rotating masses of erotically charged flashy clubbers are the least productive target audience. Instead perhaps focus on the people who match your niche, reality is that people in the pool you’re fishing couldn’t possibly care less about you, your faction and especially your roleplay. All this suggestion does is just remove the art behind the DRE competencies, create even more friction and deterioration of processes. I can see this eventually devolve into a binary setting where officers and deputies are looking for 1’s and 0’s where you just flush a command to determine whether to go to jail or not. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic