Trucking Overhaul; realism, Class A, B, C, repairs and more

Ronnie two poles

Short description:  Hi. There should be a better, more realistic overhaul for trucking that includes different classes of licenses like it does in real life, also should be a re-balance of how the script is done when buying goods. It's simply not like that.

Detailed description:  In real life, a trucking license goes into three classes. Class A, Class B and Class C. The server can incorporate this by making the player pay for each class, A being the most expensive, C the least. IRL, it's not a arcade game and you must progress from driving a cargo van to a 18 wheeler. The script is silly in regards to that, 

Also, the script takes 30 percent while you have to buy the crates too. Where is the profit? If you work for someone, lets say the script was an NPC company - in real life you are not charged 30 percent to use their vehicle, you are also not paying per cargo. 

Even if you owned a vehicle to do logistics with, you still would not pay for the cargo. If anything you are paid more. The script is very contradicting of itself when it comes to making profit. 

The new script should be like this though:

You pay an X amount for each license, A would cost 100,000 for example, B, 75,000 and C, $40,000. Each of these tests have separate DMV driving courses, where class A you drive a 18 wheeler, Class B you drive a straight truck and C a pickup/van etc. As this is how it simply is IRL. Class A make the most, Class B isn't too far behind of A but they're limited. 

I.E 

Class C

d1aab4a1a9d0243c650450527fe79b6b.png

Class B:

d4462dc5f801b9eb91efba4dfd6461d1.png

8bf7939b2308bd3026a57aecdc1a489c.png

Class A:

3625f150dde57f439688a3adabcbca3f.png

And so on, give or take. Add some vehicles to each class, balance it out.

Another thing, a lot of jobs IRL are no touch haul. Making you have to get out and look silly running back and force 30 times moving boxes like it's LSRP is outdated and just a script flex and nearly realistic at all. Most of the time, if you are touching freight IRL - you're unloading into a store and getting paid more to do it. 

As far as illegally driving a truck without a license, it's difficult. It's not as easy as hopping in a truck and going w/o a license. Jobs rarely hire someone without a license, it's very illegal and DOT would get you caught. Maybe introduce some sort of drug smuggling thing but that's another suggestion, another discussion. 

Class A would delivery big cargo, such as gas to gas stations, cars  to dealerships, large crates, hazardous items etc. Class B would deliver store goods to small mom and pop stores, soda, etc. Not big super markets.  Finally, Class C could be done much like a mail man. You go to point A to pick up a load of deliveries and go house to house and throw them down in front of houses. Those small vans are rarely used for most deliveries unless it's like small car parts. The pay isn't that good either. Good for very young people. 

( I know IRL you don't need a Class C license to drive a cargo van, but it's merely for the server)

===========================

DAMAGES and REPAIR:

Just like the LSPD cars, can we add an extensive damage system to these trucks like IRL? Before every trip you are required to do a pre trip inspection. Now, with /inspecttruck and RP involved, you can learn how to RP this properly via video. But i.e script wise, the truck can randomly break down or just break in general during driving. If you neglect the noises - script wise, a tire can pop, the engine stalls periodically or the engine throttles the speed. This would bring RP to mechanics and truckers alike, making a balance. Also, if the truck is too out of shape (DOT) SD or a PD division can give you a citation for it. Because it is up to you to do the pre-trip inspect. A script concept would be something like.

**You hear an obscure noise from your truck.**

/me gets out, checking the hood of the car. 

/inspecttruck

**Upon inspection of the truck you realize you have a blown head gasket, severity moderate.**

A script consequence of this would be the engine may stall randomly and you'd have to press Y.

**Upon inspection of the truck you realize you have a blown head gasket, severity mild.**

A script consequence of this would be nothing, but if you continue to neglect the issue it can worsen. 

**Upon inspection of the truck you realize your front tire is leaking, severity extreme.**

A script consequence of this would be your tire is flat and if you drive on it you risk getting fined.

And script wise depending on the severity determines if you can continue your haul or need immediate repairs. It also determines if the truck will stall etc.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?   It would make the trucking script more realistic and more balanced. In real life there are tons of people driving 18 wheelers and unloading cargo, not people in cargo vans. I understand amazon and fedex do this a lot, but there is more to delivery than some kid making 15 an hour slinging boxes around people's porches. I just figured it felt too more like an RPG game or there wasn't enough research to how it's done in real life. 

Additional information: Any questions, feel free to ask. I do this for a living IRL. 

Edited by Ronnie two poles
Added DAMAGES and REPAIR:
10 minutes ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

Similar concepts have been suggested many times before.

No, it's not realistic to see everyone driving Pounders around just because they purchased Class A license. Realistically, you wouldn't be trusted to drive an 150k vehicle right off the bat, and the current script works just like that.

That doesn't make any sense. Just because a script has a RPG element, like you described - doesn't mean it's correct. A 21 year old in real life, with no job experience - can easily obtain a class A license and be trusted to drive a 2020 18 wheeler with cargo in it, OTR. It is realistic. It does happen in real life. It's not about it costing 150K. That's what insurance is for. Do you drive a car? Do you go on the highway? It's fine to see more people driving pounders. What's not realistic is everyone driving a cargo van. Where are the truckers in between? 

"No, it's not realistic to see everyone driving Pounders around just because they purchased Class A license."

That is...exactly how it works in real life...

Edited by Ronnie two poles
26 minutes ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

No, it's not realistic to see everyone driving Pounders around just because they purchased Class A license. Realistically, you wouldn't be trusted to drive an 150k vehicle right off the bat, and the current script works just like that.

Do you believe it's realistic that a person can drive a van on 100 routes, then suddenly they can drive a small truck, then when they've done 150 runs in that, a Heavy goods vehicle?

In real life, anyone can pay for and test for these licenses in sequence with regulations, it's much, much closer to reality than a 500 trip levelling system.

Let me just say this as someone who's very passionate about trucks and trucking. I hate the current mechanic that forces you to grind your way through shit vans to shit trucks to finally something drivable and something that makes sense to take out for long hauls. I think my suggestion, which was linked above by another member, is a good one and will provide us, players, with a choice - you will either drive in the city and unload to local businesses, or you will take your time going from a supplier to the city or other drop off point in a heavy cargo vehicle.

I've spent legit hundreds of hours playing ETS and ATS and when I wanna do trucking I wanna do trucking. The good part about these aforementioned games is that you always get a choice. You can drive an Actros with 40 tons of cargo or you can get into a Scania with 10 tons and go on an easier, more relaxed and shorter drive from let's say Warsaw to Prague.

On GTA World you don't have these choices most of the time, therefore trucking can be a very monotone, boring activity that offers no real fun besides rewarding you with GTAW$. Most of us truckers, we like driving. We want to take our time to drive realistically and have more freedom when it comes to what we're hauling. The current mechanic that forces you to grind your way up trucking ranks is responsible for a lot of problems, mainly shitty driving and shitty roleplay that can be observed around suppliers and drop-off spots, because people only want to get to drive that one truck they always wanted to drive. Ain't NOBODY wanna drive a god damn Speedo until they hit 100 deliveries, and they will drive that Speedo to finally get to the Mule. Why? Because the Boxville feels like a chore to drive, so people just cut corners in Speedos going from the clothing supplier to clothing shops to grind as many deliveries as possible until they get the Mule.

The problem is not the trucks. Trucks are slow to drive, that is normal. When we apply to work as truckers, we realize that. The problem is how monotone, boring, and how much of a chore driving a slow Mule around the city is when you could be driving long haul in a Benson/Pounder in peace whilst other people drive vans/Boxvilles around the city.

Now, instead of making us get out of the truck and unload our stuff, how about we get a simple script that makes you wait inside the truck as employees from the place you're delivering to take care of unloading? That is indeed realistic. Besides, there have been many instances of people robbing truckers at supplier spots because you're forced to get out, roleplay (if people are around) and type in commands to load up.

When mentioning the problem in the paragraph above, I was talking about long hauls. If you're a van driver within the city, it makes more sense for you to load and unload your stuff. With bigger trucks it doesn't make sense because usually your crates will be placed inside your Mule/Benson/Pounder/other big rig with the help of forklifts. These forklifts will be driven by dock workers who can be NPC-ed, or you can write up a simple script job for dock workers who will be able to drive forklifts around and load things up for people. See? Talking about this system, and I came up with another job idea.

Finally... please understand how this job works. Trucking is about EFFICIENCY. There are reasons as to why in real life we load up long hauling big rigs with forklifts and then let vans haul smaller doses of cargo around the city. It's both for the reasons of the aforementioned efficiency and because if you have smaller vehicles in the city, it makes for less dangerous operation (no need to take wide left turns for example), easy parking (A Mule is like 1/3 the length of a Pounder) and it allows less experienced people to take on the job of delivering goodies, therefore this system IRL is efficient and is the reason why you never see a Scania with a 20m trailer parked outside your local supermarket. You always see small riged trucks or vans delivering to your small local businesses. Do I have to go on? I think everyone understands why currently this whole system is not only inefficient but plain, fucking, stupid.

• Upvote 5

I actually have a CE license irl, (I guess that would be a class A in the US? Biggest trucks, double trailers, 25m long). I didn't have to grind my way through to get that. I was slightly disappointed to see how it works here, so I am in full support of taking another look at this and making it better. Lots of great suggestions here already.

6 hours ago, hentai! said:

Let me just say this as someone who's very passionate about trucks and trucking. I hate the current mechanic that forces you to grind your way through shit vans to shit trucks to finally something drivable and something that makes sense to take out for long hauls. I think my suggestion, which was linked above by another member, is a good one and will provide us, players, with a choice - you will either drive in the city and unload to local businesses, or you will take your time going from a supplier to the city or other drop off point in a heavy cargo vehicle.

I've spent legit hundreds of hours playing ETS and ATS and when I wanna do trucking I wanna do trucking. The good part about these aforementioned games is that you always get a choice. You can drive an Actros with 40 tons of cargo or you can get into a Scania with 10 tons and go on an easier, more relaxed and shorter drive from let's say Warsaw to Prague.

On GTA World you don't have these choices most of the time, therefore trucking can be a very monotone, boring activity that offers no real fun besides rewarding you with GTAW$. Most of us truckers, we like driving. We want to take our time to drive realistically and have more freedom when it comes to what we're hauling. The current mechanic that forces you to grind your way up trucking ranks is responsible for a lot of problems, mainly shitty driving and shitty roleplay that can be observed around suppliers and drop-off spots, because people only want to get to drive that one truck they always wanted to drive. Ain't NOBODY wanna drive a god damn Speedo until they hit 100 deliveries, and they will drive that Speedo to finally get to the Mule. Why? Because the Boxville feels like a chore to drive, so people just cut corners in Speedos going from the clothing supplier to clothing shops to grind as many deliveries as possible until they get the Mule.

The problem is not the trucks. Trucks are slow to drive, that is normal. When we apply to work as truckers, we realize that. The problem is how monotone, boring, and how much of a chore driving a slow Mule around the city is when you could be driving long haul in a Benson/Pounder in peace whilst other people drive vans/Boxvilles around the city.

Now, instead of making us get out of the truck and unload our stuff, how about we get a simple script that makes you wait inside the truck as employees from the place you're delivering to take care of unloading? That is indeed realistic. Besides, there have been many instances of people robbing truckers at supplier spots because you're forced to get out, roleplay (if people are around) and type in commands to load up.

When mentioning the problem in the paragraph above, I was talking about long hauls. If you're a van driver within the city, it makes more sense for you to load and unload your stuff. With bigger trucks it doesn't make sense because usually your crates will be placed inside your Mule/Benson/Pounder/other big rig with the help of forklifts. These forklifts will be driven by dock workers who can be NPC-ed, or you can write up a simple script job for dock workers who will be able to drive forklifts around and load things up for people. See? Talking about this system, and I came up with another job idea.

Finally... please understand how this job works. Trucking is about EFFICIENCY. There are reasons as to why in real life we load up long hauling big rigs with forklifts and then let vans haul smaller doses of cargo around the city. It's both for the reasons of the aforementioned efficiency and because if you have smaller vehicles in the city, it makes for less dangerous operation (no need to take wide left turns for example), easy parking (A Mule is like 1/3 the length of a Pounder) and it allows less experienced people to take on the job of delivering goodies, therefore this system IRL is efficient and is the reason why you never see a Scania with a 20m trailer parked outside your local supermarket. You always see small riged trucks or vans delivering to your small local businesses. Do I have to go on? I think everyone understands why currently this whole system is not only inefficient but plain, fucking, stupid.

3 hours ago, GamingNinjaSheep said:

I actually have a CE license irl, (I guess that would be a class A in the US? Biggest trucks, double trailers, 25m long). I didn't have to grind my way through to get that. I was slightly disappointed to see how it works here, so I am in full support of taking another look at this and making it better. Lots of great suggestions here already.

Both of these posts really sum it up. As someone who also plays both of those simulations and also drives IRL, when I go on GTA W I would like to be able to do it like that here too. There is no reason to have some weird mini game RPG level up to get to the next truck. Also, there's no reason to get out of the truck and run back and forth spamming a command - in real life you really never get out the vehicle and sometimes policy doesn't even allow it. It's silly. Just bay somewhere and set a timer and let it be unloaded. I can see unloaded into local businesses like crates of alcohol and drinks, etc like Coke and Pepsi do for their drivers IRL. But the script on here is indeed, boring - long, and just not fun. It's not realistic and the amount of money you make does not balance it. Truckers make damn great money IRL, ESP Class A. If the server wants to limit that - maybe make an OOC application so people can prove they want to RP and develop a character around a Class A driver. Maybe tho. Just an idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the US, CDLs are handed out like hotcakes taken that you aren't in any trouble with the law and can pass a drug test.. After schooling you're put with a trainer for 3 weeks. After you're through with the trainer, you're out on your own with a fully loaded 80,000 pound tractor and trailer to hike through mountain passes and plains. I agree that grinding out 250/500 runs to make barely anymore profit isn't really worth it. I understand people like to RP as truckers and you eventually get there, but getting there is absurd and by no means realistic.

• Thanks 1
  • Ronnie two poles changed the title to Trucking Overhaul; realism, Class A, B, C, repairs and more
  • Wuhtah locked this topic