change property owning rules

MostCreative

14 hours ago, Rhelli said:

I'm actually pretty sure I saw a whale offer a buyout for a trailer, maybe about an hour or less after it went up for sale. The fact, that rich people who should actually have nothing to do in and with Sandy Shores buy up properties in Sandy Shore, just to sell them at a higher price two weeks later doesn't really help the housing situation there either.

Not in favor of this rule suggestion until the housing crisis is fixed (which will probably never happen)

• Upvote 1

I actually like this suggestion, my character is one of those who dislikes the big city vibe despite working there. I mean would you throw away a good job with even better staff, just to get something closer to your home? Unlikely, yet escaping the big city hassle is what people usually want, driving for hours to work and back or not. I'd like to own a housing outside of the city myself. And yes. Irl I am one of those who left the big city and given my job I don't have to work every day so I can afford sitting on a bus for few hours when I am going to work and back home.

Edited by Engelbert
9 hours ago, effion said:

Not in favor of this rule suggestion until the housing crisis is fixed (which will probably never happen)

I fully understand general concerns about the housing issues this server has to endure but limiting someone's role-play or not allowing them to own a property outside their work, is just a big no.

This issue is a hard one to solve, I understand that but that shouldn't limit someone owning a property outside Los Santos.

Edited by MostCreative
23 hours ago, effion said:

I've commuted an hour and half to get to work, for years. There was no way I was living in the middle of Atlanta, so I lived in a smaller town that was more affordable to live in and dealt with the commute. That is actually more realistic than people being forced to live in the city where they work. Commuting exists lol. There are thousands if not more who commute from northern South Carolina to Charlotte, some an hour away or more, for the same reason. I have a colleague who commutes 45 minutes to the train station and then takes the train (another 30-45 minutes) into the city for work. The reasoning that commuting isn't realistic and you should be tied to living where you work? Well that's just plain bonkers. Housing should not be limited the way it is.

Edited by Sixty
13 minutes ago, Sixty said:

I've commuted an hour and half to get to work, for years. There was no way I was living in the middle of Atlanta, so I lived in a smaller town that was more affordable to live in and dealt with the commute. That is actually more realistic than people being forced to live in the city where they work. Commuting exists lol. There are thousands if not more who commute from northern South Carolina to Charlotte, some an hour away or more, for the same reason. I have a colleague who commutes 45 minutes to the train station and then takes the train (another 30-45 minutes) into the city for work. The reasoning that commuting isn't realistic and you should be tied to living where you work? Well that's just plain bonkers. Housing should not be limited the way it is.

A lot of people bring the "but I commute this much IRL" argument.

I get you, I do. House affordability/costs etc.

But let's assume with your real life example that you get the opportunity to live near your work place for the exact same price you would as if living outside the city, would you take that option or not?

Commute is frustrating, some people get adjusted and try to enjoy it but nobody prefers commute.

Understand that most of these people are forced into it. They don't 'want' commute in their life and anybody sane would prefer a shorter time of commute.

The same can be applied here. A lot of people working in the city but living in the county that cite commute reasons? You have the freedom to move in the city. Considering Sandy properties are actually more expensive than LS, it's more affordable too.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:57 AM, effion said:

But let's assume with your real life example that you get the opportunity to live near your work place for the exact same price you would as if living outside the city, would you take that option or not?

Commute is frustrating, some people get adjusted and try to enjoy it but nobody prefers commute.

Understand that most of these people are forced into it. They don't 'want' commute in their life and anybody sane would prefer a shorter time of commute.

The same can be applied here. A lot of people working in the city but living in the county that cite commute reasons? You have the freedom to move in the city. Considering Sandy properties are actually more expensive than LS, it's more affordable too.

Me personally in real life? No I wouldn't take that option. I love living outside the city. It's quieter. Traffic isn't nearly as bad. Its safer, for the most part. So to refute your reasoning, I prefer to commute rather than live inside the city limits. I enjoy the quiet time in the morning to myself in the car and I'm sure there are many others like me. A lot of my work colleagues do the same thing, for those same reasons. Not everyone hates to drive nor hates the length of the drive. That is your assumption. It's not always about affordability or costs, even though that is a factor.

IC'ly? It depends on my character's motivations if I would take that option or not, which is an IC issue, not an OOC reason to deny a housing request based on an opinion of how they should be living. Again, you're forcing a certain box of role play with that approach. What if someone just plain doesn't want to live in the city? Maybe they like the county better but their work is in the city? You're literally forcing people to role play a certain way. In order to live in the city, you have to live in the city. In order to live in Paleto or Sandy, you have to live in the county. It will never make sense to me. You should open up your restrictions a little and allow people to make their case rather than outright denying it.

Honest question, not intending to argue. Just would like clarification. Are people removed or barred from renting or purchasing homes/apartments in the city (not housing requests, but regular purchases and renting) if they work in the county and vice versa if they live in the county and work in the city? Could I report someone for working in the county and living in the city or vice versa? It's the same principle. Should be applying the same standards across the board if you're going to do it with housing requests, correct?

@effion

Edited by Sixty
On 2/19/2021 at 7:57 AM, effion said:

It is a pretty valid point, but what about those who don't wanna live in the city? My IC job is not as much time demanding as others are for example, so I can afford "not to show up", for days perhaps. Not to mention that my character lives literally next door from her work, but I am rarely there as I spend most of time at work anyway. Mostly due to lack of something outside of the city. Now this is not really about me wanting a house of the city. But I been there and it is definitely more enjoyable, given outside the city there are smaller more tight-knit communities, which may fit my character more. But at the same time it's not worth leaving her job behind.

Edited by Engelbert

I'd like to get a clarification to my question @effion when you can, please.

Are people currently removed or barred from renting or purchasing homes/apartments in the city (not housing requests, but regular purchases and renting) if they work in the county and vice versa if they live in the county and work in the city? Could I report someone for working in the county and living in the city? It's the same principle. Should you not be applying the same standards across the board if you're going to do it with housing requests, correct? From my experience of knowing people in-game, it seems one part of the community (non-housing requests) are not held to that same standard. Why?

Edited by Sixty

Unfortunately, there's 10 city apartments to every house and apartment in the county, and then there's all the houses in Los Santos too.    I understand it makes sense from a realism point to have properties out with the city for members of LSPD, most officers wouldn't be able to afford to live in the city, but right now people who work in Sandy Shores can't get a trailer because they are bought up for resale in an instant, or are being held by people who don't really play in the area.    On top of that, the houses in Paleto, half of them are furnished like mansions and I can guarantee at least a couple of them will be owned by people who roleplay a maximum of an hour a month at their property.

Now people who would roleplay 75% of their time on their front lawn in Paleto can't do that.   People who would roleplay trailer trash in Sandy Shores get to chose between using an RV, or waiting for one to come up for rent or sale.   I can guarantee those rent prices would be absurd too.

I have my own personal gripes with how some properties are handled on this server, but that rule's a good 'un for stopping people who have houses getting business' in the city to roleplay most of their time at.   Doesn't give them any excuse to just not be actively roleplaying at their house.

What we need is a change to the inactivity script - make it count on when the owner/person with a key was last actually roleplaying in the thing.  We'll either see a ton of super cars parked by trailers in Sandy with owners to report to roleplay quality, or we'll see some places opening up for people who want to roleplay there for more than getting in their car to drive to work to RP there all day, then drive home and log out.