Realism vs Fun

Entity

This is a topic I haven't seen being discussed on the forums and I think it'd be interesting to see people's points of view on the matter.

Where do you draw the line between portraying a character as realistic as possible and having fun doing so on an OOC level?

For context, this topic comes as a follow-up of another topic in which the discussion shifted towards how people should RP doing drugs just because it's realistic while they didn't necessarily plan on doing so. That's actually something that's very common - roleplaying something that you don't OOCly enjoy in order for your character to me more and more realistic. It's something that mostly happens around illegal factions but it's not limited to illegal factions.

Realism over fun, in my opinion. I roleplay things that I don't particularly enjoy irl or agree with, mainly because I'm here to roleplay a character, not an extension of myself.

I get enjoyment out of portraying a realistic, true to real life character, whether or not I like the type of person that I'm portraying. I've portrayed rapists, racists, junkies, murderers, all kinds of scumbags. I enjoyed the roleplay that took place on each of those characters, even though in real life I despise junkies, racists and rapists.

You don't have to OOCly enjoy, agree with or like something to be able to have fun portraying it. The best roleplayers on this server are the ones who have fun when fucked up shit happens to their character or their character is put into a non-desirable situation.

Edited by Garras Up
  • Upvote 5
2 hours ago, Entity said:

This is a topic I haven't seen being discussed on the forums and I think it'd be interesting to see people's points of view on the matter.

Where do you draw the line between portraying a character as realistic as possible and having fun doing so on an OOC level?

For context, this topic comes as a follow-up of another topic in which the discussion shifted towards how people should RP doing drugs just because it's realistic while they didn't necessarily plan on doing so. That's actually something that's very common - roleplaying something that you don't OOCly enjoy in order for your character to me more and more realistic. It's something that mostly happens around illegal factions but it's not limited to illegal factions.

you shouldn't avoid something because you don't like it OOC. you're meant to roleplay a character not yourself

I feel like you're playing GTAW wrong if you're willing to cut off large sectors of RP to play a very sheltered "safe" character, feels cheap to deny everybody else but more importantly yourself of cool unique situations just to play some Ken and Barbie sims simulator.

I should clarify and say playing GTAW as a Ken and Barbie simulator is FINE, not my cup of tea but it's fine - it's when players start breaking flow and deliberately ducking IC events because they're too attached to their character OOC, disregarding what would be realistic in GTAW's "lore" so to speak when it starts to become a problem.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
Wording and clarification - clarification being longer then my actual reply, go figure.
5 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

I feel like you're playing GTAW wrong if you're willing to cut off large sectors of RP to play a very sheltered "safe" character, feels cheap to deny everybody else but more importantly yourself of cool unique situations just to play some Ken and Barbie sims simulator.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'playing GTAW wrong' or 'play some Ken and Barbie simulator'.

I personally am very willing to not allow some types of RP to continue in order to have a good OOC experience. The best example out there is ERP. My character might get involved in situations that would organically lead to ERP. I, however, am not going to roleplay having sex with a virtual character because I find that extremely cringe-worthy. There's a line between having fun and having to do something for the sake of realism.

After all, why would we even play GTAW if we don't enjoy it? I think that's the right way to play the server, while also keeping up realism but again - in that order. 

4 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

sheltered "safe" character, feels cheap to deny everybody else but more importantly yourself of cool unique situations just to play some Ken and Barbie sims simulator.

I suppose it depends on what you called "safe". Maybe, to take the example the OP mentioned, a character doesn't do drugs, but keeps getting into undesirable situations because they're easily taken advantage of? Those situations don't have to involve illegality to provide character development and real IC obstacles.

I see lots of people RPing lots of different things, and I never ever assume that just because they're doing something they find fun, that isn't also providing rich RP experiences to them and others. In fact, if you can combine real character depiction with something you genuinely find fun, all the best to you.

I'm not criticizing you or your comment, I'm just offering my thoughts.