Trucking Improvements, splitting the jobs into a van job and a trucking job.

alina2137

Short description: Like the title says.

Detailed description: A list of improvements for the trucking job/script.

First of all, a commercial vehicle license should be added onto the server.

This will prevent noobs from jumping straight into a job they do not understand. I am not saying create a school, don't even make the license paid, just make sure people who wanna get into trucking get a dose of knowledge before they even get a chance to drive a vehicle. Make sure to include a test that checks the individual's knowledge of how a commercial vehicle should be driven and how a trucking job actually is.

Now, vehicles...

... let's remove the vans from the long haul trucking vehicle options. I understand that we all gotta start somewhere, but some of us are here for the trucking, not for van driving. Van driving is a bad way to make us grind through ranks and discourages many people from moving forwards with a trucking career. Vans are also realistically non-profitable and useless for long hauls like ones we usually do on the server. What feels like twenty minutes of in game driving would be a drive through a whole state in real life, so having an actual TRUCK for deliveries instead of screwing around in some tiny van would be both realistic and a huge improvement to the payments, and like I mentioned it's gonna allow us to do what we wanna do without having to grind through stupid trucking ranks.

Next up, let's add a paycheck based on the distance of the delivery. (for example $100/km)

For example let's say you're going to get paid $XXX per one kilometer driven WITH LOAD (crates). Why? Because shit like the garbage job pays you $3000+ for delivering bags and just running around, whilst driving long distances doesn't get you shit especially in a van. You, as a trucker, are an important part of the economy and therefore should be paid fair money. For now I'd say we are getting seriously underpaid for the work we do, earning $600 per delivery in a van compared to one garbage haul that gets you $3000 or like when you're roleplaying for an hour in a store for you get $4000... this is seriously depressing.

Let's talk trucking ranks now.

Shorten the distance between trucking ranks because of the new job. This is just a reason for us to grind and nobody actually takes the job seriously.

I get it that there needs to be some development but it really is just a pain in the ass. Honestly, fuck this mechanic, I don't want it on the server and I know many people will agree with me.

Add a new job, splitting the script into van driving (LS/PB/Sandy Shores) and truck driving (long hauls).

Van driving will be for the city of Los Santos and actual trucking will be done around the whole state. It does not make sense that we have to pull up to a 24/7 in a Pounder, let's make it so truckers deliver goodies to certain drop off points and then van drivers can take over from there and deliver them to various businesses. Driving a van filled with an amusingly low amount of cargo across the state is a pain in the ass and it's a reason for us to ditch the trucking job.

Make the jobs a choice. Do not force people who want to drive long hauls in a large truck to fuck around in a tiny van. Make sure both jobs have decent paychecks, indluding getting paid for the distance you drive. Whilst I'm down to keep the van job a script anyone can jump into, I can not say the same thing about trucks. We need to start enforcing some heavy rules on people who roleplay truck driving because the current state of said RP makes people cry.

Perhaps make it so truckers get paid for the cargo and the van drivers get paid for the distance? We need to balance this out somehow, that's for sure.

Talking about payments - make trucking a job that can make us happy about ourselves, instead of it being a laborous, shitty RPG job that nobody wants to get into with an IQ higher than 76.

Make it so vans can hit up multiple businesses after getting loaded with the goods. This will require shrinking the weight of crates so that we can use the van to hit up five businesses at a time in the city, making van driving more efficient and friendly than having to drive and and forth from business to supplier.

Finally, add tachographs to every commercial vehicle because that's required by law in most countries, including the US.

When the tacho detects you going over the legal speed limit of a commercial vehicle (let's say 100mph is a safe bet on the server because that feels close to 50mph irl), it will be noted and in case your supervisor or a LEO checks the tacho, you will get a hefty fine for being a greedy cunt who would rather grind the job instead of driving a truck like it's intended.

Vehicle-wise, let's split it like this:

VAN DRIVING: Vans (obviously), Boxville, maybe the Mule because it's a riged truck desinged more for the cities than long hauls.

TRUCKING: Benson, Pounder, trucks with trailers in the future, over all big rigs.

Commands to add: None

Items to add: None

How would your suggestion improve the server?

You're essentially adding a new job and making us happy to go to work, if that doesn't improve the player experience and the server, I don't know what will. For now trucking does not feel like an enjoyable thing to do, you can not just hop inside a truck and slowly make your way over from A to B, instead people look at it like it's a rat race. People want to climb up the ladder so they can drive Bensons and Pounders and they're constantly bending/breaking rules to achieve their goal with shitty roleplay and shitty driving.

It will also help with the problem of us having to pull up to shops in Pounders, because now van drivers will be able to use their more nimble vehicles to maneuver around the city streets easier. It will make driving more enjoyable for everyone. Truckers will be able to go from A to B very easily, and van drivers will not have to drive 20km back and forth in order to go from LS to a PB supplier and the other way around.

Additional information:

Let me say this for the last time. MAKE THIS A CHOICE. Do not force people to grind one job in order to get to the other, do not force people to start with one job to then go to another. Make both jobs balanced so people get paid for example $2000 per a long haul and $1000 for a short van delivery. Balance this out so both jobs can be something people can get into without having to grind through the trucking ranks first.

The balance with this is on point because people who wanna drive around the city will get to drive around the city. People who have things to do in the city will not have to run back and forth between depots in other parts of the map.

The worst part about driving the trucks now is the monotone running back and forth between your destination and the supplier, so having truckers do the work for van drivers will make everything more efficient, more friendly and less painful.

Truckers will now have less stress on them, because they drive longer distances, they deserve some love. Van drivers can be there to take care of the short-distance deliveries, their vans will not fill up the streets as bad as six Pounders parked outside a garage, waiting to get their thing done.

• Upvote 1

I've given up trying to get more realistic changes to the trucking script, which by almost all means is shit besides one fact, which is that the supplies brought about is actually needed for people to run their businesses that's great.

One major point that is not included in this suggestion is the whole deal about the DRIVERS having to pay out of their own pockets to get packages to deliver. As a trucker IRL, If my boss told me to pay something out of my own pocket like this I'd laugh and say fat chance. At the very least let it come out of the company account, and thus let the money earned from deliveries go into the business balance as well. Giving people money instantly from every delivery is a part of what makes it a grinder's "paradise". 
Seeing how the companies give 90%+ of the income to the drivers is just an awful imitation of how a company is supposed to realistically be running.
I know we are part of those to blame for this and I could keep on going but there is little point to it at this time.

Changes to the trucking script is highly welcome, I'm of course in favor of this suggestion.

As a Pounder driver I agree that most of what you are proposing here would be very nice indeed.

However as someone above mentioned I don't think it's very feasible to implement all these due to the limitations there exist in a virtual world as opposed to reality.

I will address what I think would not work below.

- Long hauls only for Pounders Bensons

Sure realistically a Benson/Pounder would only go to a business that requires a lot of crates(to avoid making more runs at the same business) and preferably a long haul...but in real life a trucking company knows in advance what will be delivered and when...they do not have their drivers just check their log for deliveries and choose one then hop on the truck and go to the destination. So what they do next is they decide what type of vehicle from their fleet is suited depending on distance to delivery point and quantity(weight, etc) of goods to be delivered. In real life a big truck would only be sent to a business that requires a lot of crates. However, on the server the quantity of the goods if also not known in advance. It is decided as people go and use a scripted business that requires them to operate. So unless you also come up with a retweaking of how businesses operate I don't think this will work to well. Surely having a Pounder embark on a 'long distance' haul to deliver 3 crates to a business that is far away from the depot would not be much of an improvement to the actual job.

I think there are also other many variables that can't be all taken into account in a virtual world for this to work similar to how it does in real life.

- Getting paid for distance driven

Do you mean the straight line distance between the loading point and the destination point? Or the actual miles driven while on the road? Because in real life you would obviously get paid by the amount of miles your wheels are spinning and in game this could so easily be exploited by driving longer routes especially if there is no limit on how much you can get paid for distance. I don't think this could work in game very well tou I may be wrong.

- Dividing the jobs

In real life I assume there are companies who own both vans and trucks(and serve various types of businesses both long haul and short haul)  and companies that own one type(that specialize in either one). In game this would only complicate things script wisely as there would be a need for two types of scripted businesses instead of one to supply all the businesses across the map. I think the effort of creating more businesses that do pretty much the same thing would be better of focused on creating a new type of business that does something new and unique.

Once I wanted to suggest the idea of changing the businesses model a bit and make businesses such as car services that require automotive parts require more parts and have only Pounders/Bensons deliver to those while letting vans deliver to 24/7s and other small shops which would realistically require fewer/smaller parts to operate. But I changed my mind as again there are too many variables for that to work.

- The tacometer

Is there a device in real life truck that gives a popup to supervisors/LEOs when the truck is speeding? I've never heard of that and I know for a fact that at least in my country truckers break the speed limit very often and it's up to speed cameras, LEOs that spot them to take care of them.

• mj2002 locked this topic