Fake IDs / ID Overhaul (New Supplier Type)

RoryR

Short description: 
Implement a new supplier type for creating and distributing fake IDs and make a number of changes to the current ID system to help facilitate them.

Detailed description:

• Make IDs an item, similar to how phones are an item. This would mean you'd have a command such as /myids to show your IDs, and also a command such as /setmyid [ID] to set which ID you'd like to use (by use, I mean which one is used for /sdl).

• You'd be able to give players IDs with /giveid [ID ID] [player ID]

• Create a new item called 'blank ID' which would be acquired similarily to how drugs and guns are acquired with suppliers.

• Since fake IDs would become a commodity and stolen IDs would then have a use, IDs should accurately describe your character. This is important to stop anyone using a stolen fake ID. For example, if a white person stole a black person's ID, using it would be foolish. Currently the only defining information shown on /sdl is age, other than that there's no real way to tell if that would pass as a stolen fake ID.

For this reason, I think IDs should state the player's race, height, weight, eye colour and hair colour along with their name and age. This would mean that only someone with a similar appearance would be able to get away with using a stolen fake ID.

To enforce this and prevent PG, height, weight, eye colour and hair colour should be added to /attributes. Also, after completing your driving test, a legitimate ID would use this information to create a matching ID.

• Have a new command to create a fake ID from a blank ID, such as /createid [name] [age] [race] [height] [weight] [eye colour] [hair colour].

• Change /sdl to show the above information.

• In the event you lose your ID, you should be able to get a new one for a fee from the license registration building.

The above system alone would be a good addition in my opinion, although you could go even further.

• In a way to add some risk to using fake IDs, you could have them deteriorate. This could either work based on time since creation (3 - 6 months?), or number of uses of /sdl (100?). The wear/condition of IDs would show beside it in /myids. 

• The recipient of /sdl would receive a message only visible to them stating the condition/perceived legitimacy of an ID based on the wear/condition value of an ID. This would also happen when using /sdl with a legit ID in order to avoid MG. There would be a number of different messages which describe IDs in various states of condition.

Examples:
    Pristine ID - "The ID is in perfect condition and looks legitimate."
    Good ID - "The ID is in good condition and seems legitimate."
    Average ID - "The ID is in fair condition and is most likely legitimate."
    Poor ID - "The ID is showing signs of disrepair and could be illegitimate."
    Bad ID - "The ID has a lot of defects and is most likely illegitimate."

I think legit IDs should deteriorate but only down to an average ID, they'd never deteroriate any lower.

In some scenarios, security staff could decide to confiscate the ID if it appears to be fake and refuse entry to the person, or even contact the police. If law enforcement were to check an ID, they could have a command such as /testid [ID] and that would tell them whether or not the ID is infact fake. To do this the ID would have to be in their inventory as I assume that would be the easiest way to implement.

Commands to add:

• /myids
    Shows the IDs you have in your inventory indexed by an ID. Would also show how damaged they are as a percentage - starting at 100.

• /setmyid [ID]
    Allows you to set an ID which would then be the ID used when using /sdl.

• /giveid [ID ID] [player ID]
    Allows players to pass IDs around. Could possibly not implement this and just rely on the inventory system.

• /createid [name] [age] [race] [height] [weight] [eye colour] [hair colour]
    Allows you to create a fake ID from a blank ID. Doing so would consume 1 blank ID and create a new fake ID with matching attributes. Although due to the number of parameters, perhaps this would be better suited for a menu/form thing similar to how /attributes are set. In such a scenario the command would only be /createid.

• /buynewid
    This would allow players to get a new valid ID from the license registartion building in the event they lose their's for whatever reason.

• /testid [ID]
    Would allow law enforcement to check the validity of an ID which is in their inventory. Perhaps should only be limited to use within a cruiser/police station (not sure if this necessarily needs to be enforced by the script though).

Items to add:

• Blank ID
    This would be the item used create a fake ID.

• ID
    Make IDs (both legitimate and illegitimate) to become items.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Currently there is no script support for people using fake IDs and there's no real way to tell if they have properly RPed acquiring a fake ID or if they are simply powergaming. If you suspect someone is and ask for proof, that will only slow the situation down, so currently your only real option is to just accept the fake ID for what the player says it is. Adding this will add some valuable complexity to IDs and the places and scenarios that make use of them.

This will allow younger characters the ability to properly acquire a fake ID and visit places they otherwise would not be able to. This also allows people to accurately use a fake identity with some more depth. Also, due to IDs showing a more detailed description, it would mean selling/trading IDs would become a lot more meaningful/difficult past the point of the first sale. For example, robbing someone and taking their ID would essentially be worthless unless the person you rob happens to look like you, or you are lucky enough to find/know someone who looks like the person the ID belongs to and then sell it to them. This also introduces new RP for law enforcement in the form of arresting those who use fake IDs, and also trying to track down and prosecute those who create them.

Additional information:
For simplicity's sake, I've decided to ommit a lot of detail from the actual creation of a fake ID. If you really wanted to you could go into more detail and break the blank ID item down into smaller things such as special paper, a blank card, laminate pouches, and so on. Perhaps some of the items could be found in 24/7s or hardware stores, and only certain items are acquired from suppliers. Although, I think for the ease of convenience a blank ID item saves a lot of complexity to an already very complex suggestion.

Edited by RoryR
  • Upvote 5

Please add this. Also there needs to be work done on the Police/SD MDCs so that you can't just instantly check if an ID is fake because the name isn't on the database, that's not realistic, considering, a city like Los Santos, and the rest of San Andreas would logically have millions of people living in it. (California has a population of nearly 40 million)

I'd love to see this being made into a thing, I've personally been RP'ing something like this myself for a while.
Using PS to create the ID for use ingame using the note system.

But actually having a system to support it, would be cool I think. So it goes from being just an "RP" vanity item to something that might actually work being supported by a script.

Example of an ID I made a while back:

YDLyxHM.png

Edited by Netsrac
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
10 minutes ago, Netsrac said:

I'd love to see this being made into a thing, I've personally been RP'ing something like this myself for a while.
Using PS to create the ID for use ingame using the note system.

But actually having a system to support it, would be cool I think. So it goes from being just an "RP" vanity item to something that might actually work being supported by a script.

Example of an ID I made a while back:

Hide contents

YDLyxHM.png

this is the exact kind of comment I was looking for. there's a game called "papers please", basically you're a person who checks passports and you have to figure out which ones are real and which ones are fake. rather than the ID's having a "fake" affix to them, every ID should look the same and with a model like this, people who check the ID's can then determine based on how much they actually know about ID's

I couldn't exactly relay what I have in mind but I think you'll have a pretty good idea if you watch a gameplay vid of papers please ? 

• Upvote 1

Thank you @Bloodseeker for allowing my reply to be a segway into Papers, Please!

Spoiler

lBjTMLQ.jpg

But on a much more serious note, I wholeheartedly support this suggestion. A system to support this would benefit everyone on the server and security work would actually have something to do instead of "hey $400 + id please show" /b /sdl my ID thanks if they spend some time mulling over what looks like an authentic ID and trying to weigh in on whether or not it is legitimate.

Edited by Wirbelwind
  • Thanks 1

I can't support this suggestion enough. I feel it would open a pretty wide array of new RP venues for everyone, not only from the illegal side of it, but also for people who get their IDs stolen or police.

Now, considering how driving licenses work currently, they automatically invalidate the suggested system. For that very reason, driving licenses should also become an item, together with other already-existing identification means, such as badges (Police, City, Justice and FD) or BAR licenses. Otherwise people will start using these as alternative identification methods, even if they are still a minority of the playerbase. Plus I feel it adds a bit of a twist if an off-duty police officer is involved in a situation but left their badge at home/car.

Another thing to consider is the automatic re-issuance of cards. Imo, it shouldn't be a "go here, buy x license, done". While I understand it would be best for practical reasons, it's also a way to make the system feel tedious and mechanic. As an alternative to this, one may be required to go to a PD/SD station to get a new copy of their ID (after proper identification), to their State employer (FD, PD, SD...) to have a new badge issued, City Hall for Justice licenses, and whatever. The one I could see being automatically re-issued would be a driving license, considering it's normally an on-the-spot thing if you have additional identification with you. Potentially expand faking all of these, as well.

• mj2002 locked this topic