Calling a taxi using taxi hotline just to rob them

45 minutes ago, BigSmileLing said:

Robbery RP is out of control and the staff is doing anything but controlling it, this is what they want for the server, empty streets, everyone and their mothers in boring interiors because everywhere you go there is someone who will ruin your day for some assets, and if you only have 100 dollars you'll be beat to death, because you know "My ChArAcTeR iS sO dUmB aNd TeEn aNd hE dOeSN'T cArE gOiNg tO jAiL"

I think you don't know what you're talking about bud.

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping on this ancient thread to say that I agree with this rule to be implemented.

Even NGRP banned robbing taxi drivers at one point, because of how senseless and poor of an attempt it was at roleplay. It adds nothing and, while it happens in real life, just borders trolling. 

There's barely any fear involved in it at all. The taxi dispatch system would have all the relevant details of the customer, i.e. phone number, name, and where they called from. So what sense does it make to rob someone when all their details are logged anyway? No fear whatsoever, regardless of how careful you are - if you steal a cab driver's phone, it doesn't mean that the records are all gone. They'd still be with the taxi company. Robberies on cab drivers simply shouldn't be allowed because of the very few reasons there can be to do it.

can't argue with this getting bumped but if the rule hasn't changed since it was posted in 2020 it won't get changed now, however

• all taxi drivers receive orders from dispatch (downtown cab co)
  • they all have logs of every passenger/fare
  • it makes no sense to call /taxi and rob someone for those reasons + it seems very greed-motivated as opposed to waving down a cab in the street and robbing them that way which seems much more valid

it's very cheap, the worst part is that you'd expect to be robbed doing a much riskier job when as a cab driver usually the worst expectation is people jumping out on your fare, not robbing you of a phone and a few hundred dollars + at least 30 minutes of your time

1 hour ago, shaobadman said:

• it makes no sense to call /taxi and rob someone for those reasons + it seems very greed-motivated as opposed to waving down a cab in the street and robbing them that way which seems much more valid

While our posts somewhat echo one another, I wanted to touch on this point in particular. 

There's a chance that someone will argue that a taxi driver will simply avoid picking up people who wave down a cab, knowing that they are safe if someone calls up a cab via the dispatch system. This would depend entirely on the taxi driver's choice - maybe the driver isn't getting any fares via the system, and thus they take their chances with one right off the street. So the likelihood of being robbed by a customer is still there, but it isn't made easier for the customer. 

The current trend, while uncommon, just seems like easy robberies. These seem to be similar to the old chain robberies we had when the server was in its very early stages. The only difference is that this is somehow allowed, but robberies should not be made this easy for the attackers. 

Seems to me as pretty cheap way to make some dough. No matter how much people try deny that, robberies are always money driven, roleplay or not, you gotta roleplay living somehow, but this is actually strange. In year 2021 even my backwards country has taxi apps where you pay up front, either through paypal or credit card, driver then just picks you up, no cash traded. They accept cash yeah, but for security reasons, they never have big amount on them.

9 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Seems to me as pretty cheap way to make some dough. No matter how much people try deny that, robberies are always money driven, roleplay or not, you gotta roleplay living somehow, but this is actually strange. In year 2021 even my backwards country has taxi apps where you pay up front, either through paypal or credit card, driver then just picks you up, no cash traded. They accept cash yeah, but for security reasons, they never have big amount on them.

that second part is why it seems wrong to me

i cannot emphasise enough that i have no problem with people waving down a taxi and robbing the driver instead of using the system because then it's on the taxi driver for not following the system, but because all of these taxis receive their calls from dispatch (downtown cab co) i have a problem with the lack of fear (of consequences) from the robbers/kidnappers given that their name is known; even if the driver won't remember the incident in detail, they can check the name and number of their last fare, add it to the fact that they came out injured, and make a good conclusion from there

i can't speak for other cab drivers in this server but i always deposit after i reach a certain amount, and the 4k govt pay, in rp, is in the bank because it spawns on us mid-shift which is unrealistic (so the depositing of that money is ooc), so i'm not quite sure what aura the taxi drivers give off that makes them so appealing to robbers when there are better targets elsewhere on the map

4 hours ago, shaobadman said:

so i'm not quite sure what aura the taxi drivers give off that makes them so appealing to robbers when there are better targets elsewhere on the map

It is because they know you have cash on hand through the shift system or are potentially armed.

Most people doing these robberies are OOCly motivated - the same people that rob truckers because they know they have to have cash on them OOCly when in RP, not a single dollar would be exchanged in hand. Or people breaking into cars right outfront a police station because they think it's an off-duty cops car, so it must have a firearm in it whilst the person is on duty.

It's simply poor portrayal and lazyness of the person unwillig to engage into actual realistic robberies. Why look for an opportunity when you can just call a walking wallet over to you...and ignoring the fact your character provides all their details to the taxi dispatch in the process.

And don't @ me saying your character doesn't care or is stupid. That is the biggest cop out excuse for any unrealistic behavior in 2021.

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 2
3 hours ago, orca112 said:

It is because they know you have cash on hand through the shift system or are potentially armed.

Most people doing these robberies are OOCly motivated - the same people that rob truckers because they know they have to have cash on them OOCly when in RP, not a single dollar would be exchanged in hand. Or people breaking into cars right outfront a police station because they think it's an off-duty cops car, so it must have a firearm in it whilst the person is on duty.

It's simply poor portrayal and lazyness of the person unwillig to engage into actual realistic robberies. Why look for an opportunity when you can just call a walking wallet over to you...and ignoring the fact your character provides all their details to the taxi dispatch in the process.

And don't @ me saying your character doesn't care or is stupid. That is the biggest cop out excuse for any unrealistic behavior in 2021.

very well said and 100% agreed, it's a shame not much anyone can do about it because any report would make it a grey area and the offending party can weasel their way out of it with ease by citing technicalities and the like

they probably also know that, even if the taxi company would have their name/number, the police probably wouldn't bother with the report

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, orca112 said:

Damn, this post alone summarises the whole issue with the current taxi request system.

Very well said, can't disagree even a smidge.

13 hours ago, Aquila said:

Damn, this post alone summarises the whole issue with the current taxi request system.

Very well said, can't disagree even a smidge.

Yesterday, two kids kept spamming /taxi after I noticed both of them were at Mirror Park LTD based on the dispatch. So I cancelled the call and went to the location to check on myself since it was pretty sketchy. A third kid, who's with them, started spamming /taxi as well every time I cancelled. In the end, I went there to pick them all up since they're all friends, drove them to their dropoff, and they bolted without paying, though I didn't let the last guy out and made him pay. See this is somewhat a more of a realistic scenario and I'd rather have this than get robbed by someone (or a group) who used the taxi dispatch system.

The other day, after selling my car to a dealership, I called a cab using /taxi and was picked up by the taxi driver who's accommodated by TWO other dudes. Their reason? Because the taxi driver keeps getting robbed and the dudes are his bodyguards. This may sound silly but this just shows how fearless these robbers are. This fearlessness of robbers or any illegal RPers forces other people, especially legal RPers, to a rather silly roleplay, which sucks, to be honest. 

It isn't really just the taxi business/job. I think the server needs to crack down on these robbers who have no fear for their life at all. Right now, fear RP is basically "dont pull a gun out or don't run away when someone else gets the drop on you first". It's crazy. There's no fear of cops, fear of getting caught, fear of getting jailed from these illegal "RPers". I bet these same robbers have 30+ criminal points and have warrants or BOLO alerts on them, yet you'll see them casually walking the streets or driving their registered vehicles, looking for their next prey every 30 mins to two hours. 

Edited by shushu