Securing IP addresses

Gamble

3 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Except you choose to browse to this forum. You choose to connect to the GTAW server, but your information is being forwarded to the XMR stations unknowingly. You can just run in range of one of them and you're information is sent somewhere.

How can the information be abused? Lets just start by saying its unlikely to affect you. However, you can use IPs to piece together information about someone's online identity. You can figure out people's alts, obviously gather data about their geographical location. Most importantly, its just a puzzle piece that gets thrown out there. Is it going to be harmful to you directly? Probably not. Is there a privacy concern for the server operator? There might be.

your*

yes, you choose to connect to this forum, just like you choose to listen to a specific xmr station. I really don’t see the problem here. Like I said, every single website you have ever visited gets your IP... that’s how the internet works...

5 hours ago, Pogis said:

yes, you choose to connect to this forum, just like you choose to listen to a specific xmr station. I really don’t see the problem here. Like I said, every single website you have ever visited gets your IP... that’s how the internet works...

You don't choose to listen to a specific XMR station. You can walk into a situation where someone else has set the station. Even choosing one yourself still is sketchy privacy-wise, if you ask me.

I created this thread to raise player awareness and to see whether it'd be possible to secure IP addresses from the radio channels. According to the replies, it's not possible.

Therefore an admin can lock & archive this, as there's no point in this back and forth discussion.

• mj2002 locked this topic