Securing IP addresses

Gamble

12 minutes ago, Daquan Kingston said:

I can give them my real adress I do not mind being physically approached by anyone on this server, what worries me is if they can hack into my accounts and shit

99.9999999% you wont get hacked, UNLESS > , as long as your passwords aren't stupid shit like password123, in general, always have a strong password & 2FA. An IP address alone cannot make you a victim to a hack. 

On 8/19/2020 at 7:46 PM, Mitch said:

99.9999999% you wont get hacked, UNLESS > , as long as your passwords aren't stupid shit like password123, in general, always have a strong password & 2FA. An IP address alone cannot make you a victim to a hack. 

DDOS?
Some mad skid could find out your IP through the XMR and then boot you offline and harass you?
I understand how XMRs work and how the website logs IP, however is there no alternative available?

Just now, joshua said:

one potential solution would be an ability to disable the XMR system clientside, so it won't auto connect you to the broadcast when you get in range/enter an interior etc. therefore, if players are worried about it, they can turn it off.

this is a great solution, if people dont like the XMR system, they can /disableXMR 

There's not a really reliable way to identify who a player is through IPs. Especially if tons are listening to it!

One way it could be abused is if you pinged the IPs and cross-referenced with the player list 'O menu' those in the club to see if their ping's increased.

If you have the correct target, their ping should increase, then lock on and flood with extreme amounts of data to shut them down.

That's just about the only way, and it's convoluted. I doubt anyone would set up an XMR and even then, they'd have to have some capacity to consistently attack. The average person couldn't do shit. Better ways of fucking you over as well.

TL;DR don't worry about it lol

4 hours ago, CuttingRoomFloor said:

There's not a really reliable way to identify who a player is through IPs. Especially if tons are listening to it!

One way it could be abused is if you pinged the IPs and cross-referenced with the player list 'O menu' those in the club to see if their ping's increased.

If you have the correct target, their ping should increase, then lock on and flood with extreme amounts of data to shut them down.

That's just about the only way, and it's convoluted. I doubt anyone would set up an XMR and even then, they'd have to have some capacity to consistently attack. The average person couldn't do shit. Better ways of fucking you over as well.

TL;DR don't worry about it lol

There are other ways to abuse this information. 

I really like the XMR system, but the point that's been brought up that GTAW sends your IP to random servers that play this music, without warning the player, is problematic. Sounds like a privacy issue to me. These things should be taken seriously.

7 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

There are other ways to abuse this information. 

I really like the XMR system, but the point that's been brought up that GTAW sends your IP to random servers that play this music, without warning the player, is problematic. Sounds like a privacy issue to me. These things should be taken seriously.

what ways are there to abuse this information?

also; it’s not only XMr that gets your IP. Any website you access on the internet gets your IP. Even this forum...

Just now, Pogis said:

what ways are there to abuse this information?

also; it’s not only XMr that gets your IP. Any website you access on the internet gets your IP. Even this forum...

Except you choose to browse to this forum. You choose to connect to the GTAW server, but your information is being forwarded to the XMR stations unknowingly. You can just run in range of one of them and you're information is sent somewhere.

How can the information be abused? Lets just start by saying its unlikely to affect you. However, you can use IPs to piece together information about someone's online identity. You can figure out people's alts, obviously gather data about their geographical location. Most importantly, its just a puzzle piece that gets thrown out there. Is it going to be harmful to you directly? Probably not. Is there a privacy concern for the server operator? There might be.

• mj2002 locked this topic