American culture - Gratuity

my two cents:

tip 15-20% percent on restaurant bills because that goes to the waitstaff.

never tip in fast food restaurants.  it's not expected.

don't tip baristas, it's like fast food.  you can if there's a tip jar, but it's not expected.  if there isn't a waiter, like in a sandwich shop, bagel shop, or ice cream shop, you're not expected to tip, but you can if there's a tip jar at the register.  if there is a waiter, like in a bar where the waiter brings you your drinks, or a little cafe where the waiter brings you your coffee, then tip like it's a restaurant.

don't tip grocery store workers unless they carry your groceries to your car.  even then, it's not really expected anymore.

don't tip the gas station guy.

don't tip store salespeople unless its a really upscale clothing store and they really spend a lot of time helping you and then you need to be a big spender and really generously tip them, or its an insult.

tip the bartender fairly generously once at the beginning of the evening, or multiple times if you want.  tip your cocktail waitress or she won't come back.

always tip barbers.  i'm telling you man, always tip your barber.  it's an expression of your appreciation for the job they've done.

always tip taxi drivers and uber drivers.

tip food delivery people, because they have a shitty job.  don't tip package delivery people, they are well paid.

always tip valets and other hotel service staff like bellhops, room service people, and cleaning staff.  front desk people don't generally need to be tipped.

always tip car wash people.

always tip strippers, masseuses, and prostitutes (so I've heard).

if there's a bathroom cleaner person on duty in the restroom of a restaurant, bar, or hotel, always tip a little bit.

servers, waitstaff, or taxi drivers generally don't get irate.  they might be privately mad about it, but only in places like New York are people going to yell at you or throw a fit.  They might say something politely, like ask if the service was somehow unsatisfactory, and that is the customer's opportunity to either tell them what was wrong or to courteously say he made a mistake and then tip more.  A rough around the edges guy like a taxi driver might say something like, aww c'mon man, i gotta make living, but again, it's a social expectation not a law or a rule.  Again 20% is really the maximum.

• 5 months later...