Some changes for people who does extorting RP

Zayyy

1 hour ago, Ohngesicht said:

or you can just deal with it IG. what about feeding the police with information? and you're saying extortion shouldn't happen for the sake of RP but isn't that limiting other players?

I like how you cut the part of that paragraph of mine before that which said:

Most extortion roleplay on this server is just a money farm. It's play to win, a poor RP of fear on behalf of the criminal RPers doing it, and unrealistic. It's heavy-handed, hijacks roleplay, and creates very little of it. Instead of criminal RPers coming up with more creative ways to create interesting RP for the server and using the fact that they're upwards of 20 or 30 talented roleplayers with developing characters to do something unique and impressive, they're leeching off of other people's RP for some of that sweet, sweet e-maniez to come passively roll in.

Criminal RPers involved in extortion keep saying "deal with it IG" but time and time again what we've shown in this thread and the other one like it is that the server is not currently equipped to realistically deal with investigating and punishing extortion because of an OOC throughput problem. Proper investigation RP requires highly skilled and well-trained roleplayers who are passionate about investigation to spend literally hours and hours (upwards of 20-30 hours) doing follow-up RP and building cases on the forums. With how many people there are roleplaying shitty extortions and how it takes them minutes to do it, and how even if they finally get consequences they can just make another generic Italian/Serbian/Russian/Armenian/whatever other European mafiosi and rejoin the same faction, it's putting all the work on the police RPers to do a whole lot of frankly not too exciting RP just to catch one person who is doing really subpar RP.

It is unrealistic of criminal roleplayers to be extorting as they are doing it now. End of story. It is very poor RP of fear of consequences, and it's obvious that a good number of these extortion RPers are taking advantage of the OOC state of our police department players to have their character have no fear of IC consequences. That's why a lot of criminal RPers have been coming into these threads and saying "hahaha it's an IC problem take it IC." No. It's an OOC problem. It's poor etiquette and poor roleplay on behalf of the players playing these extorting characters.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, ElDiablo said:

^ This, and in my opinion:

- We need a turf map to have ethnicities and faction lores properly displayed as it would be of common knowledge IC if X place is a predominant (race) neighborhood at the time.

- We need OOC regulations for allowing extortion only to be performed at those turfs by the predominant local faction.

- We need OOC regulations for NOT allowing extortion to be performed on areas under logical modern 2020 surveillance (cameras and police reaction virtually everywhere). This is based in Los Angeles in the modern day with modern laws, there's no need for IC movements about these laws, the server just needs to keep up with irl California laws. I was shocked yesterday that cops arrested a friend of mine for carrying 10 grams of marihuana when irl you can carry a full ounce of weed in L.A. legally. Hell even in Mexico you can carry 5 grams.

- There should be a CCTV script that works similar to the wire script. A script that captures everything (/me's included since it's a camera and can record actions).

These implementations would allow players to, according to them, enjoy the hell out of being extorted and making friends with crime organizations to let their shop owning civilian characters mix with the mob in order to get weaponry on a regular basis (as someone mentioned) or whatever other shady operations they might want to get involved into with the edgy mid-aged guys in tracksuits that sit at their place acting as if they own it while scaring the normal customers away.

And for those who want to RP normal business owners from the 2020 in a huge metropolis based in L.A. without having anything to do with Italian/Russian/Mexican/Albanian/Chinese or whatever other organized crime group individuals, to do so in peace as the majority of business owners from L.A. do in real life as @Ink has said so.

- Adjust the business land price according to the area that they at as it's also done with houses.

This translates to IC common sense; Would you, in real life, place your business in a known dangerous neighborhood? Or would you choose a nice area to prosper?

In real life the land price of a safer and nicer area is way higher than those in dangerous areas, therefore the poor immigrants tend to buy what they can which usually is located at those criminal infested ghetto districts. Well, those are the characters that can be realistically extorted.

In no real case a victim of extortion does it because they want to, people get extorted because they have no other choice or money to establish in a better place.

- When it comes to more severe laws, extortion and murder sentences should be VERY long. The server is a heavy text-based roleplay community, deathmatch and weapons should be barely used or at least the actions involving them should be VERY well planned. There should be more life sentences too and the server's CK rule of not NC'ing or CK'ing and immediately creating a similar character to avoid consequences should be really enforced. 

- If many members of a faction get arrested from these charges, they should face a faction shutdown.

This please.

• Upvote 1

Out of Towners is across a PD on Del Perro pier (IRL Santa Monica Pier Police Substation and Bubba Gump Shrimp Company) and I made it clear to them 9 months ago initially, then came the excuse that ICly it is not filled with IC characters (officers). But realistically speaking - mob extorting business across (10 meters) from a police station. High quality rp indeed xD

Edited by Tsarna
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, El Ghetto Man said:
21 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Gangs and criminal organizations stop existing for an array of different reasons, one of which is indictments and RICO crackdowns on said gangs. MS13 for example has lost much of their territory and about 3-4 of their LA 'clikas' permanently due to crackdowns from law enforcement above everything else. There's also other gangs in LA that have ceased to exist almost permanently due to crackdowns via law enforcement, same goes for criminal organizations. They go defunct for the exact same reasons, crackdowns, rivalries and turncoats.

Which entails effort on the part of law-enforcement to do said enforcement. The notion that a few arrests alone automatically delete your faction is stupid. 

I've done extortion roleplay before, and the major issue with it is... isn't how it's roleplayed by the extorter for the most part, but by the person being extorted. A lot of people roleplay extorting people quite realistically, just for the person they're attempting to extort to roleplay some unrealistic super human like ability and throw the hours worth of roleplay down the drain. Of course reporting people can help, but it doesn't always work... and I genuinely think allowing non-rp CKs in extortion roleplay would drastically change it.

As for the people who don't roleplay doing it properly, I honestly think extortion should require FM permission before even attempting to pull it off... and also screenshotting/recording to roleplay to show it to FM so they know it's being done 100% on par and up to the standards this server holds. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/5/2020 at 9:07 AM, eTaylor said:

Which entails effort on the part of law-enforcement to do said enforcement. The notion that a few arrests alone automatically delete your faction is stupid. 

I never said a few arrests, I said MANY arrests of extortion or murder should create a faction shutdown since the server doesn't have an FBI faction and it's hard to maintain one if it existed.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, bidi bidi bom bom said:

A lot of people roleplay extorting people quite realistically,

No, extorting a random legal business in Los Angeles in the year 2020 is not realistic. Extortion roleplay, by its very nature, is inherently unrealistic. It can be made slightly more realistic under certain circumstances, but no, the majority of what's happening on this server is like something out a cops and robbers RPG, and is much more akin to money farming.

throw the hours worth of roleplay down the drain.

Coincidentally, that's what it feels like for the legal RPers running a business when they get visited by five different ethnic mafia families, each one threatening to destroy their business or hurt them and their friends to get e-maniez. The average extortion RP is a few minutes of some creepy mobbed up guy coming in and saying "ayyy I'm walkin' hea where's the owna I needa tell em somethin ooohhh"

Of course reporting people can help, but it doesn't always work... and I genuinely think allowing non-rp CKs in extortion roleplay would drastically change it.

Nice, because what this server needs is for criminal RPers to have even more consequences to force onto legal RPers whenever they feel like hijacking their RP. Coooool.

As for the people who don't roleplay doing it properly, I honestly think extortion should require FM permission before even attempting to pull it off... and also screenshotting/recording to roleplay to show it to FM so they know it's being done 100% on par and up to the standards this server holds. 

Out of what you've said I'm actually slightly in agreement with this. I feel like extortion should take some more OOC effort and involvement than just "oh sweet that shop is showing up as open on the map let's go visit and make some e-maniez boys."

• Upvote 1
On 7/4/2020 at 4:12 AM, ElDiablo said:

^ This, and in my opinion:

- We need a turf map to have ethnicities and faction lores properly displayed as it would be of common knowledge IC if X place is a predominant (race) neighborhood at the time.

- We need OOC regulations for allowing extortion only to be performed at those turfs by the predominant local faction.

- We need OOC regulations for NOT allowing extortion to be performed on areas under logical modern 2020 surveillance (cameras and police reaction virtually everywhere). This is based in Los Angeles in the modern day with modern laws, there's no need for IC movements about these laws, the server just needs to keep up with irl California laws. I was shocked yesterday that cops arrested a friend of mine for carrying 10 grams of marihuana when irl you can carry a full ounce of weed in L.A. legally. Hell even in Mexico you can carry 5 grams.

- There should be a CCTV script that works similar to the wire script. A script that captures everything (/me's included since it's a camera and can record actions).

These implementations would allow players to, according to them, enjoy the hell out of being extorted and making friends with crime organizations to let their shop owning civilian characters mix with the mob in order to get weaponry on a regular basis (as someone mentioned) or whatever other shady operations they might want to get involved into with the edgy mid-aged guys in tracksuits that sit at their place acting as if they own it while scaring the normal customers away.

And for those who want to RP normal business owners from the 2020 in a huge metropolis based in L.A. without having anything to do with Italian/Russian/Mexican/Albanian/Chinese or whatever other organized crime group individuals, to do so in peace as the majority of business owners from L.A. do in real life as @Ink has said so.

- Adjust the business land price according to the area that they at as it's also done with houses.

This translates to IC common sense; Would you, in real life, place your business in a known dangerous neighborhood? Or would you choose a nice area to prosper?

In real life the land price of a safer and nicer area is way higher than those in dangerous areas, therefore the poor immigrants tend to buy what they can which usually is located at those criminal infested ghetto districts. Well, those are the characters that can be realistically extorted.

In no real case a victim of extortion does it because they want to, people get extorted because they have no other choice or money to establish in a better place.

- When it comes to more severe laws, extortion and murder sentences should be VERY long. The server is a heavy text-based roleplay community, deathmatch and weapons should be barely used or at least the actions involving them should be VERY well planned. There should be more life sentences too and the server's CK rule of not NC'ing or CK'ing and immediately creating a similar character to avoid consequences should be really enforced. 

- If many members of a faction get arrested from these charges, they should face a faction shutdown.

+10.

Extorting is not bad. But I wasn't aware of the way, Who extorts by burning down a building in 2020 in California?
How does that benefit you?,  You're gonna wait a rebuild to extort the next one? Kill all the owners?

If you're a gang, steal him every day, make every day hell for him. If you're mafia, negotiate with his supplier or cut him off, create labor unions to put pressure on certain industries, propose a partnership or a loan, I don't know, try to be more creative and sophisticated.

• 5 weeks later...
  • mj2002 locked this topic