Current State of Extorting Businesses

TranXify

I hate to be the bearer of the obvious but Nervous literally said the CK was justified because his name appeared in the court documents on the thread, which is how they found out he snitched. Just because there isn’t an exact example of the situation you’re looking for doesn’t mean that there aren’t parallels and other situations that can be used to draw reasonable conclusions from. The point is, even if your affiliation with a faction is unsubstantial (which I would even argue extortion forces faction affiliation to a degree, but that’s not the focus), you can still be CKed for calling the police based on this character kill appeal application.

Edit: This back and forth is cringe, just stay on topic. No one cares about the character that much. I’m only interested in the precedence and standard that the denied appeal sets and how that can be used and/or abused, not about whether a character was an asshole or not.

Edited by Denise
13 minutes ago, Denise said:

I hate to be the bearer of the obvious but Nervous literally said the CK was justified because his name appeared in the court documents on the thread, which is how they found out he snitched. Just because there isn’t an exact example of the situation you’re looking for doesn’t mean that there aren’t parallels and other situations that can be used to draw reasonable conclusions from. The point is, even if your affiliation with a faction is unsubstantial (which I would even argue extortion forces faction affiliation to a degree, but that’s not the focus), you can still be CKed for calling the police based on this character kill appeal application.

Edit: This back and forth is cringe, just stay on topic. No one cares about the character that much. I’m only interested in the precedence and standard that the denied appeal sets and how that can be used and/or abused, not about whether a character was an asshole or not.

On the contrary, I think those distinctions are very important.

Keep in mind, I'm not an illegal RPer here. I'm speaking as someone this can happen to.

Unless there's clear examples of people being CK'd just for resisting extortion, I don't think it's fair for a lot of people to go around saying 'man but if I so no, they'll just CK me!' when there's no evidence of that yet. 

Edit: That in mind, agree. I didn't mean to derail on a specific CK thread, more I keep hearing people say the above but I honestly don't see it. 

Edited by Kassandra

The distinctions don’t change the premise so no, they don’t matter. You go to the police, you risk getting CKed. Again, Nervous said that on the application as the reason why it was denied.

Though it’s sort of metagame-y, it would definitely deter me from going to the police if I knew a character I worked hard on, dedicated hours to, and wanted to run businesses with could potentially be permanent erased if I go to the police and report a member of an illegal faction for doing something illegal. Because of this, I can see how people might get “stuck” when it comes to extortion.

Edited by Denise
5 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Please give me some examples. I keep hearing this, but I don't see it? 

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's the closest one I could find.

Another thing to note. My character has recently started looking into buying a business. And I've had multiple people ICly tell her "hey you gotta watch out because people are going to extort you. You'll get taxed!" These extorting roleplayers have done such a shitty job of their RP that most people in the city know about them extorting. They'll walk into crowded businesses and ask for extortion money brazenly in front of customers. This is to reiterate the absolutely abysmal RP of IC consequences that these roleplayers are engaging in. In the example posted above, the extorters had someone sign a legal document for ten grand a week (which somehow magically became payment every day) for "garbage services" and "protection." Like. WHAT. Like a realistic mafia organization would have a bunch of its dudes walk into a business and force someone to sign a contract legally outlining the terms of their actual extortion!?

And in the case above, these legal roleplayers played realistically, paid their dues, had the price raised on them, had yet another faction come and extort them, and had their roleplay utterly dominated by the goons extorting them. They'd log on to be harassed, they'd have their characters kidnapped and mutilated. For realistically going to the police a CK was approved on them. These mobsters have left tons and tons of IC evidence about their involvement with all of this but they don't care about showing any IC fear of having a murder pinned on them because they know OOCly that the odds of them being arrested for it are ridiculously slim. This was so toxic that one of the roleplayers involved literally just had his character commit suicide to avoid having to RP more in this mess created by this "unique and interesting RP."

44 minutes ago, Ink said:

These extorting roleplayers have done such a shitty job of their RP that most people in the city know about them extorting. They'll walk into crowded businesses and ask for extortion money brazenly in front of customers. This is to reiterate the absolutely abysmal RP of IC consequences that these roleplayers are engaging in. In the example posted above, the extorters had someone sign a legal document for ten grand a week (which somehow magically became payment every day) for "garbage services" and "protection." Like. WHAT. Like a realistic mafia organization would have a bunch of its dudes walk into a business and force someone to sign a contract legally outlining the terms of their actual extortion!?

And in the case above, these legal roleplayers played realistically, paid their dues, had the price raised on them, had yet another faction come and extort them, and had their roleplay utterly dominated by the goons extorting them. They'd log on to be harassed, they'd have their characters kidnapped and mutilated. 

How many different languages do you need to be told in? Report them for bad portrayal to the PLM and IFM. Here, I'll even go ahead and tag the people you need to bring it up to.

@Nervous @Knoxville

Just now, Chef said:

How many different languages do you need to be told in? Report them for bad portrayal to the PLM and IFM. Here, I'll even go ahead and tag the people you need to bring it up to.

@Nervous @Knoxville

But I thought it was "an IC issue" and should be "taken ICly." 

When does it stop being an IC issue and when do we start handling it OOCly? I'm getting some really mixed messages here. Maybe you can come up with a few languages to explain that issue with? ?

On 6/26/2020 at 3:46 PM, Daylong said:

to chip my two cents in, I don't mind extortion at all as long as it is properly portrayed, if it's not? you can go ahead and report it.

On 6/27/2020 at 2:18 PM, Chef said:

The situation is still being seen as far too black and white. Should anyone be shaking down the 18 year old kid behind the counter at the 24/7 instead of speaking to someone on the corporate level? Of course not. As people have said dozens of times in the previous posts - REPORT IT for bad portrayal. 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, Viebrantz said:

A faction can't be ubiquitous and would never have the ability of running the entire city, hence why I believe the staff must lay their eyes on this kind of RP, preventing it to be done in a poor manner. The community can also warn the staff about bad roleplays.

have you reported this? If no one is willing to report nothing will be done about it, it's clearly a poor portrayal and should be reported simple as that.

couldn't be more wrong, if you as a civilian apply for a ck? Yes you will get denied because why would you as a civilian would be killing people? Your option here would be to seek out help from a different organisation that would be willing to take your side for a smaller pay and take care of this issue for you. Why does everyone resort to killing by themselves? It makes no sense.

Sure, you get your bad apples and when you do that’s what the report function is for.

These are just a few examples. In English too, lucky for you. The comments telling you to take it IC are giving the benefit of the doubt to the criminal factions that are actually representing extortion accurately and fairly IC. In those scenarios, the roleplay isn't so bland. It's not a money for nothing exchange with the only roleplay being a once a week /pay or I'll break your kneecaps. 

What you are describing is a poorly portrayed faction and poorly portrayed characters. The roleplay itself is tainted and unrealistic. That is something that you report.

What you don't report is being upset that you've lost stats. Either the RP is flawed, or your outlook of the situation is flawed. 

Edited by Chef
  • Upvote 1