Join Existing Factions

Ted

Illegal FM is constantly reviewing new submitted factions, and suffice it to say, we are certainly limiting the number of accepted illegal factions to a substantial degree. If every faction being submitted right now were accepted, this would be a more significant problem - at the moment, illegal FM is looking to foster quality over quantity, and this is why so little factions are making it through the filter at the moment. You may have the impression that we're not selecting for quality, but you don't really see all of the submitted factions we do - there's a lot more than you might think.

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't mind multiple gangs of each branch because realistically thats how it is in the IRL counterpart this server is closely related to being LA.  There are multiple Sureno, Crips, Bloods, Hoovers and so on.  The only thing I worry about in all honesty is quality and if said group knows what they are portraying. If a group popped up today and they made their own set based off one of these gangs and its a quality faction I would love to see it.    For those inexperienced or maybe needing more knowledge in a area of RP I would definitely say join an existing faction.   I wouldn't hate on new street gangs as long as they have good numbers and quality roleplay.  There are different cultures ins street gangs that vary hood to hood and still offer variety.

For MCs and Mafias I wont really comment as that's a different slate of politics and something I'm not too confident in my own knowledge on.

2 hours ago, Bospy said:

Illegal FM is constantly reviewing new submitted factions, and suffice it to say, we are certainly limiting the number of accepted illegal factions to a substantial degree. If every faction being submitted right now were accepted, this would be a more significant problem - at the moment, illegal FM is looking to foster quality over quantity, and this is why so little factions are making it through the filter at the moment. You may have the impression that we're not selecting for quality, but you don't really see all of the submitted factions we do - there's a lot more than you might think.

Is it untrue that many areas of RP are simply saturated enough? I understand that not every faction that applies gets accepted but we've one of the highest amount of factions on the server right now. I mean I remember when there wasn't a page three, and while many new players have come to the server I personally feel it's resulted in a few areas getting heavily saturated. Would it not be better to first try and raise the quality of those factions by having a dialogue with them, and providing feedback and suggestions? Why not be proactive in the quality of RP?  

I suppose my view on it is that it appears a lot of people in the IF-Community do feel it is an issue, and while they obviously don't know everything IFM does or understand its inner workings and so on, that there might be something to it.

Edited by Ted
3 hours ago, Bospy said:

Some of the existing factions don't meet the standards of what you are proposing, it should start there. Some factions have no business still being around if we're being honest.

Also there should be established or official factions, if a faction is established a player would already know that it meets the standards, most people don't hop on existing factions because they think it'd just be another one of those factions with no unique roleplay. South Central is a prime example, there's fighting or shootings every other second, you can't go 5 hours without getting involved in some kind of conflict, people literally walk up to groups in random areas and ask them to throw their set up just to start a conflict like this is 1980, people claim most of the area when they don't have the members to control it and just hop in a car rolling around looking to see if other people are roleplaying around that area to spark up beef so they could eventually get into a shootout for a video, you can;t expect people to want to roleplay with people like that and this is a general statement not directed to any gang or group, I'm just stating what I and other individuals have experienced. If the current factions are not up to par you can't expect people to flock to them.

Edit; What Henning said was spot on, we need some sort of OOC regulation on territory, gangs and other factions use territory to provoke when they don't even roleplay in certain areas. I understand why the system wasn't implemented as it could be considered RPGish, but people clearly can't handle it themselves, there needs to be ooc regulation.

Edited by Jola

I'll pitch my thoughts in on this since I've found this a very interesting topic that I think is very worthy of discussion. I think a stronger push to motivate people to join factions rather than making their own is very important whether this be through script fixes or just a tweak to how IFM/the community at large handle factions, but I do think it is something that really needs to get addressed. I think the reasonable and correct first step is to close faction applications periodically. To paraphrase Bospy if they accepted everyone we'd be in for a whole circus, except we're already in the circus. In the MC scene with six accepted clubs and many unofficial ones that often times don't understand how to coexist or even do proper portrayal of a club which isn't always the case, but there have been plenty of instances of pop up clubs that have no idea how MC's work and it becomes a massive hassle for the entire MC scene when it ruins RP because they wanna be the new cool kids in town.

The simple solution to this issue is to just limit the applications in the first place, I am willing to bet my future children that instating a cool down time on faction applications will Increase the quality of faction since dysfunctional factions will most likely either not want to wait, or will fall apart before they ever get to apply. Longer waits means more time for potential factions to fully consider their idea and flesh out their portrayal. 

In summary, I think we have to do something about the almost constant flow of new factions that are carbon copies of faction currently running. Some variety and options are fine and I'd even say healthy. We are past the point of "some".

19 hours ago, Chef said:

It also falls on IFM to do quality control and "flow" control for lack of a better term. Instead of allowing 4 different factions roleplaying the same thing, they need to nip it in the bud during the application process. Regardless of how "unique and great" it may be. 

I'm also so surprised at how unwilling to roleplay a subgroup some people are. If you're a compotent leader and you have a small group of people, why not reach out to a faction already roleplaying in the "style" you are looking for and seeing if there's an opportunity to be a part of a network. As an example, many of the Eurasian factions are part of one big collective network at large and lack a "structure" that forces you to bow to a leader and give 90% of your income as a tribute. Your group of Russians is no different than X's group of Russians who have been here 8 months before you. Talk to them. In 2020 less and less of these hierarchical organizations exist. 

... But it's hard to suck up your ego sometimes and join someone else. Everyone wants to be the big bad boss.

This.

This was something that was practised way back when, but I don't think that FM has adequate resources right now.