Map Size - Define How We Roleplay Distances!

Blöp

How should we roleplay the size of the map?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Horner said:

It takes minutes to drive from the top of the map to the bottom. THAT'S HOW LONG IT TAKES. How is there even a discussion about how long that takes? If I were to drive to Paleto and back, and it doesn't take me 8 hours, is that now bad RP? Time is 1:1 so the time it takes in-game is the time it takes. As soon as you start to change timings certain RP situations won't make sense ("how are you back already??? you went to paleto, I've only talked to this person for a few minutes" etc)

The game has miles scaled in game and that should be respected. I like to think of it that 1 IRL mile =/= 1 GTA mile and that a GTA mile is much more.

What?

So are you telling me within 8 miles this map is realistically able to fit in Los Santos, a huge sprawling metropolis with highrises, suburbs, commerce and even a docking area + a huge vast desert area alongside a HUGE mountain range and all of that from top to bottom is a 8-10 minute drive maximum?

Think about it and use common sense.

I understand the logic, but it won’t work to RP longer distances. Think about trucking. Some of the supply points are in Blaine County and then you have to drive back to the city. 

The little Speedo vans aren’t going to travel 3+ hours for supplies and then back and forth multiple times. The big trailers and big rigs, sure. So if this were enforced, trucking would have to be adjusted to have supply points in every city to make it more realistic. Makes no logical sense to make them RP longer distances. 

Let people RP the way they want to RP it. Don’t force them into a box. 

Edited by Chief
30 minutes ago, bonk said:

What?

So are you telling me within 8 miles this map is realistically able to fit in Los Santos, a huge sprawling metropolis with highrises, suburbs, commerce and even a docking area + a huge vast desert area alongside a HUGE mountain range and all of that from top to bottom is a 8-10 minute drive maximum?

Think about it and use common sense.

From La Mesa to Paleto is roughly 6.5 miles and doesn't take that long to drive. That is why I believe 1 IRL mile =/= 1 GTA mile.

Just now, Horner said:

From La Mesa to Paleto is roughly 6.5 miles and doesn't take that long to drive. That is why I believe 1 IRL mile =/= 1 GTA mile.

And as I described San Andreas' landscape realistically that would not be the case. You don't need to roleplay everything that's physically like that in game.

Just now, bonk said:

And as I described San Andreas' landscape realistically that would not be the case. You don't need to roleplay everything that's physically like that in game.

Without roleplay distance as it is you will create so many inconsistencies throughout the entire server that just wouldn't make sense. 

Just now, Horner said:

Without roleplay distance as it is you will create so many inconsistencies throughout the entire server that just wouldn't make sense. 

Inconsistencies such as? Please elaborate.

This post makes no sense at all, if you're going to roleplay it like this then why are you only saying Paleto Bay and why not Little Seoul to El Burro heights? How can something take eight hours when it literally takes a few minutes?

• Upvote 1
Just now, bonk said:

If someone tells their friend they are going to Paleto for something and manages to drive there and back in the time their friend has ordered and eaten a sandwich from a store you now have person A with a time scale of 15-20 minutes to eat some food and person B with 8 hours. Which one is correct? Both? You can't have both being correct.

18 minutes ago, bonk said:

@liafriuli

The in-game clock is an accurate measure of time and we have odometers that measure the distance. We should keep to that measure of time and distance, even if it’s not ideal.  You’re just creating confusion if you RP time different than other people.

Forcing your perception of time on other people creates inconsistency since not everyone does it that way. You can’t RP a drive taking 8 hours when 5 minutes have passed in the game. That’s just confusing. 

“It took me 8 hours to drive from Paleto...”

”Wait what? You just called like 10 minutes ago. It hasn’t been 8 hours.”

Suspend belief and use the measures of time and distance the game gives us. Don’t over complicate it. 

Edited by Chief
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic